Tswifty's Custom 40g Rimless Build Thread

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15017416#post15017416 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty
One of the first things I noticed was how few fish were in the tank... then I noticed a MASSIVE Clarkii clownfish... my unlce says the fish has to be 13+ years old, and takes out any fish they try to add. :lol:
Glad to hear you made it safe and sound to Texas. I think if had an aggresive fish that kept taking out my new additions, He'd be the next thing to get taken out...lol
I've never been a fan of Clarkii's thou.

seriously i have really lost count on how many times this thread has been split for performance issues. If memory serves correctly this is split 4 or 5 starting from the original 90 gal build.

EDIT: which means when i need to find something in your thread, it becomes more and more impossible every day

Glad you arrived safely TJ :D!
Haha, your up to another split and I haven't hit 6 pages :p

Just a quick question for the clubhouse about my newly acquired chalice...
I hadn't seen any sweeper tentacles yet but I thought I should try feeding it... Waited for the lights to go out, defrosted a bit of mysis shrimp in a little container of my tank water, sucked up a bit of the juice and sprayed it on the chalice to try and entice it, still nothing, so i squirted a few of the shrimp on to it and nothing still... Does this mean it's not well? Tomorrow I'll be moving it out from the shade a little bit, maybe enough to get the top of a coke bottle around it so I can keep the shrimp around it a bit longer... Any ideas, suggestions? It still looks very healthy, no discolouration or anything...

Cheers,
Mitchell.

Just letting everyone know TJ cleared up the chalice question for me :)
Here is a pic just in case anyone wanted to see it :)
IMG_2275.jpg

TJ is on his way over now. He's found out why Texas is so large - we did that on purpose so if you got lost, you REALLY got lost. :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15041052#post15041052 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
TJ is on his way over now. He's found out why Texas is so large - we did that on purpose so if you got lost, you REALLY got lost. :D

haha - tell him I said hi and it was nice meeting him the other day

along time ago my grandfather told my that where ever you are going if you are in Texas you can't be more then half way there :lol:

About 10 years later I moved to Texas from California. I drove through Ca, AZ NM for 800 miles and got to El Paso. I was excited to get to Texas but then saw a sign to my destination that said Houston 860 miles - my grandfather was right :(

if that doesn't support Marc's Texas statement consider this; Marc and I basically live in the same metroplex (Fort Worth) but we rarely get by each others place due to the drive :\

I was so mad when I got to el paso from San francisco and realized I still had an 11 hour drive to get into Austin! I thought that once I got into Texas it would be no time to get halfway across the state, boy was I wrong! :rolleyes:

I used to live in Texas In houston to be exact and these guys are not kidding I lived in Clear lake and my girlfriend lived in Katy both still considered houston proper but a hour and a half drive ...lol Dont Mess with Texas....

Well I'm back, and the initial inspection of the tank looks better than I expected. The carbon reactor was clogged up with some macro, and there is some cyanobacteria in one of the back corners, but other than that everything visually looks pretty darn good.

To my amazement, the ORA BoP has the green back... and actually looks like a half decent coral now. :lol:

Also, there's been a lot of other noticeable growth since I left as well. I'm unpacking... then I'll be hitting the tank with some TLC, and some water tests. After that I'll try and snap some pics. :D

I am more than likely going to be headed back to Texas in a couple weeks for an extended stay (30-60 days). So I'm very happy that I can now trust my little sister and mother to keep the tank going while I'm gone.

Good to hear that the trip was a success and that the tank is doing fine.

I always like looking at pictures. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15026265#post15026265 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ser_renely
hey, another stock split
:)
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15026512#post15026512 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Padrino
seriously i have really lost count on how many times this thread has been split for performance issues. If memory serves correctly this is split 4 or 5 starting from the original 90 gal build.

EDIT: which means when i need to find something in your thread, it becomes more and more impossible every day
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15028604#post15028604 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OwNeD162
Glad you arrived safely TJ :D!
Haha, your up to another split and I haven't hit 6 pages :p
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15028854#post15028854 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DiscoReefRover
congrats TJ on yet another split!!!
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15030751#post15030751 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
yeah--now I can keep up with this thread again :)
Thanks guys :)

One of these days I'll have to go back and index the thread... otherwise like some of you mentioned, it's too hard to find things sifting through 5 or 6 splits.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15025701#post15025701 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 2frosty4u
Glad to hear you made it safe and sound to Texas. I think if had an aggresive fish that kept taking out my new additions, He'd be the next thing to get taken out...lol
I've never been a fan of Clarkii's thou.
Thanks... yeah they have a very nice tank, but are kind of limited due to the filtration and setup of it. I agree though, those clowns would be out of there ASAP.

My cousin had no idea what could be done with a tank that size. After seeing Pete's and Marc's tanks... he started asking me about how to upgrade their setup to at least get more than 5 fish into their almost 300g tank. :lol:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15028604#post15028604 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OwNeD162
Just a quick question for the clubhouse about my newly acquired chalice...
I hadn't seen any sweeper tentacles yet but I thought I should try feeding it... Waited for the lights to go out, defrosted a bit of mysis shrimp in a little container of my tank water, sucked up a bit of the juice and sprayed it on the chalice to try and entice it, still nothing, so i squirted a few of the shrimp on to it and nothing still... Does this mean it's not well? Tomorrow I'll be moving it out from the shade a little bit, maybe enough to get the top of a coke bottle around it so I can keep the shrimp around it a bit longer... Any ideas, suggestions? It still looks very healthy, no discolouration or anything...

Cheers,
Mitchell.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15038067#post15038067 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OwNeD162
Just letting everyone know TJ cleared up the chalice question for me :)
Here is a pic just in case anyone wanted to see it :)
IMG_2275.jpg
Just for everyone else... I told Mitchell that I only spot feed a few of the chalices in my collection. Mainly because I don't feel like waiting for the others to extend their feeder tentacles. Spot feeding seems to benefit them, but my largest and fastest growing chalice (Steel Blue) has never been spot fed. So in my experience, spot feeding chalices is not necessary.

Looks like a very nice piece too Mitchell. :thumbsup:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15032427#post15032427 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chrismunn
So does this mean there's a potential move into the DFW area some time in the future for you?
Hopefully, I really enjoyed my time there. The areas that were recommended to me included the Dallas/Ft Worth area, Austin, and San Antonio. Like I mentioned... I'm planning on heading back there in a few weeks, and am definitely going to put some effort into the possibility of relocating.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15041052#post15041052 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15041083#post15041083 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by psteeleb
haha - tell him I said hi and it was nice meeting him the other day

along time ago my grandfather told my that where ever you are going if you are in Texas you can't be more then half way there :lol:

About 10 years later I moved to Texas from California. I drove through Ca, AZ NM for 800 miles and got to El Paso. I was excited to get to Texas but then saw a sign to my destination that said Houston 860 miles - my grandfather was right :(

if that doesn't support Marc's Texas statement consider this; Marc and I basically live in the same metroplex (Fort Worth) but we rarely get by each others place due to the drive :\
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15041812#post15041812 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chrismunn
I was so mad when I got to el paso from San francisco and realized I still had an 11 hour drive to get into Austin! I thought that once I got into Texas it would be no time to get halfway across the state, boy was I wrong! :rolleyes:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15042138#post15042138 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DiscoReefRover
I used to live in Texas In houston to be exact and these guys are not kidding I lived in Clear lake and my girlfriend lived in Katy both still considered houston proper but a hour and a half drive ...lol Dont Mess with Texas....
Yeah... sheesh... what an adventure. I told my cousin... I think the exits are going the wrong way here. :lol:

It was great to have the opportunity to view Pete's and Marc's system. Both are absolutely beautiful! :thumbsup:

Maybe next time TJ won't forget his camera so he can document his entire trip. I'm sure everyone would have gotten a kick out of me almost tossing my cookies at Six Flags after 8 roller coasters or so. :lol:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15053023#post15053023 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HumanIMDB
Good to hear that the trip was a success and that the tank is doing fine.

I always like looking at pictures. :)
Thanks... yeah I think some updated pics are due... I mean it is a new split after all. :D

Glad to hear your tank survived your trip TJ :)

Also glad to hear that you had a good time :)
Haha, sounds like Six Flags was awesome too :p

Back