Tswifty's Custom 40g Rimless Build Thread

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15069011#post15069011 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by psteeleb
sweet find on that clam - a very nice impulse buy :)
Thanks Pete... I was in a hurry running out of the LFS after last night's reef club meeting when the little guy caught my eye. :D
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15069044#post15069044 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigJay
Tswifty, check out this thread on modding the Korallin:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1523880&highlight=Korallin

Halfway down the page there's a pic of the reactor with the gate valve and JG fitting physically attached to the pump output, along with a post on how to do it and which parts to buy. I'm going that way, since there will be fewer places for air and detritus to get trapped in the effluent line.

I just ordered the parts, along with another set of air check valves. I just had another brass one go bad. :rolleyes:
Thanks. I'm familiar with that mod, and that's sort of the route I was going before I noticed my valve was bad. The only difference was that I wasn't going to hard plumb it directly to the output... but the valve was going to be located on the output line.

I helped a guy set up his Aquarium Systems (I think) Ca Reactor before I left for Texas, and Pete has the same one on running his tank. I really like how they are laid out, and how the valve is hard plumbed directly to the reactor to control the output. I've now considered myself "in the market" for a new reactor, and will probably look in that direction.

Although I will say that the flow rate out of the reactor has not fluctuated since I changed everything around and added the pinch valve yesterday.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15063923#post15063923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Can you post a picture or two of the bad spot in your valve? Sounds like it was defective.
BrokenValve.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15069171#post15069171 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty
Some updated pics of the finished waste collection container:

Container1-1.jpg

Container2-1.jpg

is that your own diy waste collector--if so impressive job:smokin:

It's really coming along beautifully. I have to give your sister credit - planning that power outage really helped. :lol:

Tank & Light

Tank1.jpg

Tyree Ponape

Ponape1-1.jpg

Tyree Sunset

Sunset-1.jpg

Nightmare Palys, Purple Hearted Zoas, Tyree Ponape & ATL Meteor Shower

NightmarePHE.jpg

Candy Apple Red Palys

Candy1-1.jpg

Valentine's Day Massacre Palys

Valentines1.jpg

Daytripper Palys

DayTrip1.jpg

Candy Apple Red's, VDM's & Blue Maxima

Palys.jpg

With all those fancy names, you sound like you really have some nice pieces in there. :D

DayStripper Palys? :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15070871#post15070871 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
With all those fancy names, you sound like you really have some nice pieces in there. :D

lol's :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15070871#post15070871 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev

I hope they didn't come with beatles---wait that was daytripper:lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15069596#post15069596 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OwNeD162
Beautiful new clam TJ :D!
Thanks Mitchell... now I just need to find somewhere to put it. :lol:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15070145#post15070145 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
is that your own diy waste collector--if so impressive job :smokin:
Yeah it's a DIY job, but I can't take too much credit for it. I just draw up designs when I get a crazy idea in my head, then Keith makes it happen.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15070805#post15070805 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by psteeleb
VERY VERY nice
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15070807#post15070807 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
tank of the month for sure---awesome TJ
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15070840#post15070840 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
It's really coming along beautifully. I have to give your sister credit - planning that power outage really helped. :lol:
Thanks guys... yeah, what a fun few calls those were. :rolleye1:

For those who don't know the story... I was on my way to Marc's house when my little sister called me. She was attempting to fill the RO/DI reservoir and managed to turn it into very stressful situation. At one point she said... "Oh no... the tank just shut off!" After a few questions on my end, I got frustrated and just hung up. Then she called me again when we were at Marc's house and the first words when I answered were "Ok... everything is ok, and nothing bad happened."

:lol:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15070820#post15070820 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pcannone
Very awesome TJ. Looks great.

Do you still have your yellow clown goby?
Thanks... No, I never ordered a Clown Goby for this tank. The one I ordered was for Laura's tank and didn't make it. I did have a Green Clown Goby in my cube, but it was shutting down the polyp extension on all my corals... so it got the boot.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15070856#post15070856 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
I can't wait to buy some frags from you :)
Haha... it's going to be a mess trying to keep everything trimmed back once everything matures. Especially without a frag tank.

:lol:

Yeah I play the name game... most of the funny/odd ones seem to come with the Palythoas and Zoanthids.

Last edited:
Holy crap, that RBTA is HUUUUGE compared to when you got it!

Edit: Didn't you just add some new live rock? You can't even tell, everythings purple already!

Last edited:
Back