Tunze care magnet

toddmau5

Ok, so I'm not sure if you have heard of them, or seen them or played with them, I haven't seen much going around about them. As soon as Jake from reef builders told me about them I was pretty intrigued. I finally got my hands on a couple today and OMG these things are incredible. The blast through algae and light coraline with very little to know effort. If you strap on the metal blade they absolutely erase very hard old coraline algae like its fresh. Very little effort required to use these things, and my god are these magnets strong. I picked up a long and a nano today. I am using them on glass, and not acrylic. If you have an acrylic tank I cant really speak on them, as I know there have been a couple issues, Tunze states that you need to run the small plastic blades and not the long fiberglass blades for acrylic. But I can tell you for glass, these things are incredible and surprisingly well priced. I will end my rant here lol

Tunze care magnet

I have used mine with the long blades and the scraper on my 120 starphire, and with the small acrylic blades on my 30 gal acrylic tank with curved edges. Love this thing so much.

Any feedback on how it works with 1/2" thick glass? I notice its only spec'd to 3/8" and cant imagine 1/8" would make a big difference but you never know. :)

Any feedback on how it works with 1/2" thick glass? I notice its only spec'd to 3/8" and cant imagine 1/8" would make a big difference but you never know. :)
Are you referring to the nano or the long? I don't know where they got their specs but 15mm does not match up with the advertised 1/2" but liquidcache had his going through a 2x4 I am currently using my long on 9/16 glass with no issues

I was refering to the long. Spec I saw was from Marine Depot
"Suitable for Glass thickness from 6mm (1/4") to 10mm (3/8")."

I was refering to the long. Spec I saw was from Marine Depot
"Suitable for Glass thickness from 6mm (1/4") to 10mm (3/8")."
Yeah tunze has the spec for the long as 3/8 (10mm) - 1/2 (15mm) but again 1/2 is roughly 12mm. The nano magnet is spec'd at 6mm-10mm

Does it come with the stainless steel blades or do you buy those separately?

Does it come with the stainless steel blades or do you buy those separately?
The long, and strong come with the stainless blade. The nano does not .

The long comes with 2 short blades, 2 long blades and 1 stainless blade

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423197185.778211.jpg

Yes that's a 2x2.

is this a new product? I've never heard of this! I'll be picking one up for sure...I'm always nervous about scratching the glass and this seems a lot less likely to do that.

I see these at FAOIS every time I go but never knew they were this popular. Great reviews online as well. Do you just have the nanos John or do you have all sizes? Is this better than the flipper?

Do you just have the nanos John or do you have all sizes? Is this better than the flipper?

My activity here on RC is severely, with good reason, restricted. If in question, please consult the User Agreement. I enjoy the privilege of Reef Central membership and wish not to jeopardize that relationship. Commercial inquiries should be directed to the appropriate venues.

Thank you.

No problem. There are those who would like to see me gone, I just don't want to give them any ammo.:fun2:

Is this better than the flipper?

I have never used the flipper but I like the fact that the magnet doesn't contact the glass at all so there is no risk of anything getting trapped between the cleaning pad and the glass and causing scratches

Flipper scraper side also only contacts the glass with the scraper and the 2 small plastic standoff balls. So has about a 3mm gap with no trapping of sand. Video of it on youtube somewhere showing that. For the pad side of Flipper, I just use it for quick wipe down of soft algae and keep the pad out of the sand.
Ahh good to know. The price tag always steered me away

Back