Twin Lakes Apartment Fire

xxxbadfishxxx

Well, as many of you might have know, one of the apartments in Twin Lakes went up in flames on Saturday night, in Clifton Park. This was two building down from mine, and now i am paranoid of fires. I have read some threads that our tanks can cause fires, any ideas on how to avoid them? What in our tanks causes them? If any of you are interested i posted some pics in the photography section, here is the thread, http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=6843752#post6843752

Thanks for looking,

~BADFISH~

Dan don't show him the pictures from your fire, thoughs are enough to scare anyone out of the hobby.

If you use VHO lights, make sure the end caps are mounted properly and fixed to something. Loose VHO endcaps are a common cause of fire.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6846093#post6846093 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jaze36
Dan don't show him the pictures from your fire, thoughs are enough to scare anyone out of the hobby.

unfortunately i have seen them, a couple weeks ago on a house fire caused by one of the coralife powerstrip/timers, the one that i have. Dan, do you know what caused the fire?

I have been meaning to get a GFCI, however, i cant just go swithching outlets in my apartment complex, but ive heard they have some that you can plug into an outlet, has anyone heard or used these?

Thanks,

Jeff

I don't really know what caused the fire, but I suspect it was salt creep on a power strip.

If you go to home depot they have a variety of gfci solutions. One I know of is a short (3') length of heavy duty extension cord with a GFCI in it.

You can buy a GFCI protected powerstrip at home depot. I got it after I electrocuted myself.

yeah, i am gonna pick up a GFCI this weekend, will one be enought, i heard that these things can trip. I run 3 MJ 1200's, 2 150 heaters, and a 130watt powercompacts plugged into a Coralife Powercenter. Has anyone else of these Coralife powercenters being a fire hazard? Do GFCI prevent fire also, or is it mainly shock?

Thanks for all your replies,

Jeff

Install a "sprinkler system" for your reef. Utelize a JUNGLE BRAND POND SPRAYER HEAD and a powerhead that is heat activated...........

Should save your house just fine.

* till yer sump runs dry.....

EDIT: better hope for a small fire :p

Install a "sprinkler system" for your reef. Utelize a JUNGLE BRAND POND SPRAYER HEAD and a powerhead that is heat activated...........

and pray your heater dosent stick on activating the powerhead and draining your sump onto your floor and giving you downstairs neighbor a make shift ansul system
:eek1: :confused: :eek1:

lol....that picture was vivid dan! i think we all can be safe and practice saftey measures but sometimes we have to understand that a fire can and ussually is unavoidable and unknowingly an issue...thats why its tragic.....just practice saftey and youll be good!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6850831#post6850831 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xxxbadfishxxx
yeah, i am gonna pick up a GFCI this weekend, will one be enought, i heard that these things can trip. I run 3 MJ 1200's, 2 150 heaters, and a 130watt powercompacts plugged into a Coralife Powercenter. Has anyone else of these Coralife powercenters being a fire hazard? Do GFCI prevent fire also, or is it mainly shock?

Thanks for all your replies,

Jeff

Any trace of water trips it. The old pump on my PS went bad and tripped it before it buned up, htat was helpful. Two is definitely best because you certainly don't want a bad ground or burned up pump to shut down everything. I run my main circulation pump right from an outlet so if I lose the GFCI I still get some water movement.

That has saved me a couple times as I'm often away from my tank.

Back