Unofficial VORTECH is READY thread

I couldnt wait for this to come out, and now I dont know if I am even going to order it??? For $125 it basiclly saves me from from turning my MP40 off to feed. I always leave it on, so I dont care about when the power comes on I have it reset, and I dont care about the other modes. Does anyone else wonder if its worth it? Dont get me wrong I am sure I will have one ordered in the next day or so because I am a sick man, but I dont know I rather put the $125 toward a chiller for my tank.

Re: Unofficial VORTECH is READY thread

Tagging along! My friend had a Vortec and it burned out just after warranty and company wouldn't cover pump! These are what $400+ each? Are they reliable? Wouldn't Tunze's with Aquasurf be as good or better? Seems that's what Ken was implying earlier but I want more feed back. Are these Vortec just another Reef product fad?
I ask because seems like Tunze's really hold up well. Also every Vortec I've ever felt was almost hot enough to cook on!
The only obvious advantage to the Vortec from my ignorant observation is the small foot print they have within the tank and out!
In the end I need to know which direction to go, because I will be adding one or the other to my Apex system at some point. Thanks in advane for your input on these ?'s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't want to hijack this thread but it seems on topic to ask!

Background: my friend had a Vortec a couple of years ago that quit working just out of warranty. Company would cover the product.
These things feel really hot to touch!

Are they worth the $400+? Is Tunze with Aquasurf comparible to this new combo? (Ken I think you weighed in, but feel free to expand)

My purpose is to ask before I commit to one direction vs the other. I like the way the Vortecs look and sit in the tank with low profile, but the cost and my observation put value and reliability in doubt compared to Tunze/Aquasurf. Wireless is another cool pro for the Vortec combo. Please weigh in so those of us on the fence can commit. Thanks!

Sorry for double post, Tapatalk didn't show either post after I was done!

Last edited:
I had some initial problems with my MP40, but they were taken care of immediatly by Ecotech. They are alittle pricey, and I dont think they are as perfect as people think, but the low profile, and the different modes are great. I think the unhappy people are a very small percentage of the total number sold. After having mine for about 9mos I would never go back. I am actually thinking of getting a second. I dont have any exp with the Tunze, but I know they are first rate from what I hear. I think sometimes you have to look at your own specific needs, and see what will work for you.

GoodLuck Derek

I couldnt wait for this to come out, and now I dont know if I am even going to order it??? For $125 it basiclly saves me from from turning my MP40 off to feed. I always leave it on, so I dont care about when the power comes on I have it reset, and I dont care about the other modes. Does anyone else wonder if its worth it? Dont get me wrong I am sure I will have one ordered in the next day or so because I am a sick man, but I dont know I rather put the $125 toward a chiller for my tank.
The basic question here is a great one - what benefit does this new product give me?

I've tried to make a list. Please tell me if I've left something out:

1. The ability to get feed mode down to a single button.
  2. The ability to do your Vortech "programming" and setting management in a web browser
  3. The ability to program automatic changes to pump speeds or modes. (For example, spending 3 hours in Nutrient Transport Mode every Saturday morning)
  4. The ability to link Vortech changes to other controlled, or sensed, events in your tank. Like "low water switch is on, so turn Vortech off". or "Pump is off so turn Vortech on low speed (assuming planned maintenance)"
  5. The ability to mount the Vortech controller units in a place that is not necessarily extremely easy to access, freeing up potentially limited "easy access" electronic equipment mounting space.
  6. Possibly data logging of Vortech information (not sure the value there, but could have some to the data hungry)

Have I left anything out?

The basic question here is a great one - what benefit does this new product give me?

I've tried to make a list. Please tell me if I've left something out:

1. The ability to get feed mode down to a single button.
  2. The ability to do your Vortech "programming" and setting management in a web browser
  3. The ability to program automatic changes to pump speeds or modes. (For example, spending 3 hours in Nutrient Transport Mode every Saturday morning)
  4. The ability to link Vortech changes to other controlled, or sensed, events in your tank. Like "low water switch is on, so turn Vortech off". or "Pump is off so turn Vortech on low speed (assuming planned maintenance)"
  5. The ability to mount the Vortech controller units in a place that is not necessarily extremely easy to access, freeing up potentially limited "easy access" electronic equipment mounting space.
  6. Possibly data logging of Vortech information (not sure the value there, but could have some to the data hungry)

Have I left anything out?

Scolly,

I got so excited when your post went up. I was thinking this guy is going to give me an excuse to buy this thing. My problem is like alot of people,
(I think) is I only have a limited amount of $$$ to spend. I just bought a controller, calcium reactor, and some other do-dads. I need to get some lights in the next month, I want to get a chiller, or move my sump to the basement which would require a fairly large pump. So I am thinking is it worth the $$$$?

My controller(MP40) is already mounted on the outside of my tank. I dont get crazy with the programing of it. SO when I hit FEED A, and it shuts it down, I feed, and it comes back on. If I want I will reset it to the mode I had it on otherwise it doesnt matter.

Dont get me wrong if i had the dough I would have already ordered this thing, but I need to get the most bang for my buck. So I figured what would I rather have, that new module, or put the money towards a new chiller? I want to get this. I think its awesome how it will control it from my Apex, but right now I need to hold off.

My oldest just gotback from Univ of Az, and my youngest is in the 1st grade, and I have 2 more in between them. Im lucky I get salt money.LOL

Im sure I will have it orderd by weeks end, but for now I am trying to exhibit some control:hammer:

Derek

Scolly,

I got so excited when your post went up...
...Im sure I will have it orderd by weeks end, but for now I am trying to exhibit some control:hammer:

Derek
That's just the list of benefits that I can figure out. Whether it's worth it for you - worth getting excited over - depends on how much value those features have for you.

For myself, I've got an AC Jr on a small tank with a Vortech. And am assembling components for a larger that's in the works. And it's got Vortechs and an AC III.

And while I MIGHT spend $125 for the Vortech control, there's NO WAY I'm spending the money to upgrade to an Apex AND buying the Vortech control. For me that's way too much doh-ray-me for just to control my Vortechs, when my current controllers work just fine.

And oh yeah... "scolly is a coral". "scollEy" is me, with a screen name that is unfortunately WAY to similar to the coral. ;)

I've had my mp40ws for over a year and love them. no problems. for feed I had them shut off and run on a backup battery. looking forward to this module

In order to control the vortecs through the Apex, I presume there will have to be new coding options. Other than turning the units on or off, I don't see how the current code could be used to adjust wave patterns. Does anyone know what the programming code options will be, and if there will be new code options, will they be available for other purposes?

WXM support is supposed to be in v4.03, which I surmise will be released when the modules start shipping.

Very nice. I am still waiting on getting my Apex, it is back ordered unfortunately. I also need to figure out the best placement for my Vortechs, I can never seem to get them positioned right for my tank.

There must be something I am missing... Why is there no 1 touch button for a feed now? I have mine programmed that way with my 2 mp40s

If you have a regular mp10, you need to first buy the Wireless upgrade from Ecotech ($85) and then buy this in additional.

If so, that's really pricey. Total $200 to get the mp10 with the apex connectivity.

Is this correct?

If you have a regular mp10, you need to first buy the Wireless upgrade from Ecotech ($85) and then buy this in additional.

If so, that's really pricey. Total $200 to get the mp10 with the apex connectivity.

Is this correct?

seems about right, but i dont think Neptune thought Ecotech would have made the MP10 wireless. A lot of people had no idea about it. I'm thinking it was primarily for the MP40W

There must be something I am missing... Why is there no 1 touch button for a feed now? I have mine programmed that way with my 2 mp40s

do you mean why the wxm module itself didn't have a button on it for feed mode? Good question but if you're using your Apex display, then its pretty much the same thing.. just hit a feed mode on the display to slow down the pumps. or if you have an automatic feeder, have a program set for the vortechs to slow down when the feeder is going to start feeding

I talked to a guy from vortech and he said there was no need to buy the new es driver because the neptune apex with the vortech module would do more than the new es driver could do. Netume was supposed to release it in the first quarter of 2010 correct? Well that has come and gone and they don't seem to be letting us know anything. Not new release date, not features, and not even the cost. Thats a little annoying.

Back