Unofficial VORTECH is READY thread

The only difference between long and short pulse is the range in which you can control the timing intervals. I'm assuming that with the neptune "pulse" you can control the timing interval across both ranges and beyond the current limitations of those ranges.

Yes, here is the screen for setting pulse (you set duration, in seconds and percentage of the on cycle).

pulseExample1.PNG

As far as the pump speed is concerned:

The pumps have a small knob on the driver which lets you rais and lower the speed of the pumps. Does the apex completely override this function? Or will the 100% intensity only be the max of where that knob is?

in other words should we set the knob to max and use the apex to completely control the speed? or does it just override that knob?

I pre-Ordered mine today :)

Yes, here is the screen for setting pulse (you set duration, in seconds and percentage of the on cycle).

In seconds or fractions of a seconds? If it can only do full second intervals, that pretty much kills the short pulse function, which would be HUUUUUGE disappointment. I ordered one, but that pretty much makes it worthless for me as I like to create a wave (which would require fraction of seconds to even get get a slight wave going let alone fine tuning).

I'm also happy to see the new modes, but am wondering if the new Ecotech hardware is required. As I understand, the new "modes" and programing are ingrained in the Ecotech controller. Can the Apex properly signal and tell a standard MP40w how to do new modes? If not, I can probably get around it with my own custom mode (assuming short pulse works). I plan to do 2 MP40w, sync, with a 100% constant for a minute or two every 30 minutes (similar to nutrient export).

In seconds or fractions of a seconds? If it can only do full second intervals, that pretty much kills the short pulse function, which would be HUUUUUGE disappointment. I ordered one, but that pretty much makes it worthless for me as I like to create a wave (which would require fraction of seconds to even get get a slight wave going let alone fine tuning).

I'm also happy to see the new modes, but am wondering if the new Ecotech hardware is required. As I understand, the new "modes" and programing are ingrained in the Ecotech controller. Can the Apex properly signal and tell a standard MP40w how to do new modes? If not, I can probably get around it with my own custom mode (assuming short pulse works). I plan to do 2 MP40w, sync, with a 100% constant for a minute or two every 30 minutes (similar to nutrient export).

Seconds and fractions (so you can say 1.5 seconds)

You are also able to update Vortech firmware using the Apex and WXM; which might be the answer to your 2nd question.

Im pretty sure you need the new ecotech driver for tidal swell and Nutrient to work. I dont think a firmware upgrade will give you those options on the vortech, you need the actual driver.

I'm not sure if the question was completely answered.

I have an "older" MP40w without the EcoSmart driver. Will the Apex be able to control the intensity of the pump? Currently to control the intensity of the pump, you have to turn a dial on the driver which speeds up or slows down the pump. If the Apex will be able to control the intensity of the pump, does the existing dial on the driver prevent the pump from only going so fast or does the pump totally ignore the dial setting? Or do I need the EcoSmart driver?

Is it possible for the Apex to completely stop the pump (say for maintenance) wirelessly? If not, couldn't you plug the Vortechs in a controlled outlet and have the Apex power off the Vortechs? When the Vortechs are turned back on, they should come back on in Slave mode if I'm not mistaken.

Thank y'all for your time. I'm looking forward to the extra control!

I have an "older" MP40w without the EcoSmart driver. Will the Apex be able to control the intensity of the pump?
This is what I am testing with:

pumpControl.png

Currently to control the intensity of the pump, you have to turn a dial on the driver which speeds up or slows down the pump. If the Apex will be able to control the intensity of the pump, does the existing dial on the driver prevent the pump from only going so fast or does the pump totally ignore the dial setting? Or do I need the EcoSmart driver?

The know appears to be ignored; when I set constant 50 and change the know there is no effect.

Is it possible for the Apex to completely stop the pump (say for maintenance) wirelessly?

Yes

I will let you know if all modes work with all control modules; I am not certain and it appears that there may be some modes for the Eco-Smart controller vs the standard W controller.

I'll get back to you on this.

kenargo,

Thanks! You're the man! I, as well as many others I'm sure, greatly appreciate the time and efforts you put out on RC!!!

Thanks for the update. That hopefully covers to of my concerns as well (needing the dial to be ignored and not having the upgraded driver/controller).

I will let you know if all modes work with all control modules; I am not certain and it appears that there may be some modes for the Eco-Smart controller vs the standard W controller.

I'll get back to you on this.

There are modes for the different controller types. The drop-list of Echo modes are only available for the Eco-Controller. If you select them for the plain controller it will ignore the setting.

I'll get the list of what modes work with what pump and post back.

There are modes for the different controller types. The drop-list of Echo modes are only available for the Eco-Controller. If you select them for the plain controller it will ignore the setting.

I'll get the list of what modes work with what pump and post back.

Nutrient, Tidal, and Eco Back only work on EcoSmart pumps. The rest will work on either.

Re: Unofficial VORTECH is READY thread

There are modes for the different controller types. The drop-list of Echo modes are only available for the Eco-Controller. If you select them for the

Nutrient, Tidal, and Eco Back only work on EcoSmart pumps. The rest will work on either.

was that something ecotech decided so they wouldnt lose money?

Those modes are programed into the new ecosmart pumps as part of the upgrade. My hunch is that even though the WXM understands it, it's like speaking a foreign language to the old drivers. The old drivers can't understand the new instruction set when told to use one of the new modes.

Luckily many of the new modes can be simulated by using combination of the old modes since we can change the active mode via WXM. For example, nutrient transport is close to short pulse wave with an occasional 100% full blast constant. We SHOULD be able to program that, assuming that the driver can be forced to ignore the speed setting on the driver and use what the WXM is telling it.

A lot of talk about the Ecotech modes, why? Doesn't this give you a 100x more flexibility or modes to create (via the profiles)? Why limit yourself to predefined formulas when every tank is different and the placement of the vortech will be different, so come up with your own mode (profile) for your tank that would be better suited. My 2 cents...

I am looking at getting an Apex and wondering if the ES driver is necessary. All I care about is Reef Crest mode, then program in my own night mode, and add to my feed timer. Seems all I want can be done with a Apex and WXM and just skip the ES driver.

Well yes and no lamarine23. This allows you to vary between modes, etc. However, I'm not sure it allows you to bring up a new chart/graph and create your own flow patterns based on a 30-60 minute interval. The vast majority of people will probably use the WXM to change speeds and modes on an automated basis.

For example, do you plan to somehow create this with the new WXM? No, not really. You will however be able to switch modes and adjust speeds (hopefully).

Reef-Crest-and-Lagoonal.png

Back