use filter sock or not?

There is a huge difference with FOWLR tank and a SPS tank. 40ppm is extremely high for me, fine numbers for fish tank.

Fact: filter socks remove signficant particles. so much that they generally clog up after a week or two. (bad practice was them every few days no soap)

The particals slowly break down resulting in nutrients a good skimmer and husbandry will keep the numbers low. There are many good methods a properly maintained filter sock helps. Are they required no, provided you have a good skimmer/refugium/chemical filters. They are cheap, easy, and effective.

When you design your sump, just make sure you can easily access the filter socks. I run them on both of my tanks. Takes me 30 seconds to change 3 socks on 2 tanks, although I usually take longer so they dont drip all over the place. I have a couple dozen now, which means I have to do one load in the washing machine every 2 months. It's a pretty effective way to mechanically filter your water, and if you make the maintenance painless, then you will do it.

Did your tank have algae bloom while it had 40 PPM nitrate?[/

Long post warning:
No lighting was not strong enough to help algae. Thats why i didnt do too many water changes( parameters were fine for FOWLR)
And that's my whole point 40 ppm nitrates in 7 years ....and I know this is going to sound extream but I did about 30 percent water change once a year. Don't beat me up for it..... params were fine I have a blue tang and green chromis that are 7 years old.
I had about 300 lbs of live rock and a 4"deep sand bed. And the whole reason deep sand beds turn nitrates into nitrogen is because you don't stir it up. No oxygen zones in the sand because detritus clogging up is part of the reason. No one does a 30percent monthly water change in the ocean right? no monster water sock in the ocean?
I'm thinking about getting a sock is because it is unsightly in the sump. Even if you use a sock there no way you are getting all the detritus out of the sand without a constant sand storm.
thanks for all the replies I can still see the debate is as same as it was when I started in the hobby. I think ill stick to what was successful for me and no sock
The ocean is nature and the closed system like an aquarium is not nature so it can't be compared. In the closed system, it has to be filtered to keep fish healthy. It has been mentioned a billion times.

This entire planet is a large container of life just on a much larger scale than our aquariums, which are a small container of life. It really isn't a hard concept. What is contained on and in this planet stays on and in this planet. We simply move things from the large container to a smaller container. Many of the same processes happen in both containers, if they are allowed to.

No filter socks here either (though I do use an algal turf scrubber) and water is crystal clear and no algae issues (other than in my frag tank). I actually designed my sump to act as a settling chamber from which I would drain detritus, as opposed to letting it tea-bag in a sock. Even stopped draining the detritus a while back because it is teeming with pods and micro stars that I really want to retain.

This entire planet is a large container of life just on a much larger scale than our aquariums, which are a small container of life. It really isn't a hard concept. What is contained on and in this planet stays on and in this planet. We simply move things from the large container to a smaller container. Many of the same processes happen in both containers, if they are allowed to.
Your thought is different than mine. The earth including our ocean is an open system since it doesn't require equipments (man-made) to keep it survive. EX; a forest is nature and it's on it own to survive (sunlight, oxygen and rain - none of them are man-made), how do you call it a closed system?

With the exception of the energy from the Sun, our planet is almost a perfect closed system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_system

From... http://sciencebitz.com/?page_id=12
"Closed Systems: exchange energy but not matter.

Closed systems are extremely rare in nature. No natural closed systems exist on Earth but the planet itself can be thought of as an "œalmost" closed system.
Light energy in large amounts enters the Earth's system and some is eventually returned to space a long wave radiation (heat)."

I have never heard anyone refer to nature as an open system because it does not require man made equipment. Interesting way of thinking about it though not the traditional meaning of the term.

I suppose we could also include aliens in that Simon. :lol:

Hah, yes, should have thought of that! I really chuckled at this because some years ago I was talking population growth with a friend of mine who noted that the Earth must be heavier with all those extra people on it now. Didn't really know where to start .....

Essentially a closed system indeed. The major difference I see with the ocean is the EXTREMELY DSB. I haven't really bothered to get into how deep it goes. Sucked under with plate movements? Does it therefore naturally replenish with volcanic events and such? I really don't know.

To the point, I think well maintained filter socks are a good idea. Do what you want, this essentially is still a learning hobby. When your done, post what worked for you!

I do use filter socks(mesh type), but just to keep unwanted critters from entering my sump and interfering with my equipment, i.e. reactor pumps, skimmer, etc. to say nothing of the occasional fish that gets into my overflow chamber, and through the strainer on the durso. Obviously easier to get them out of the sock that to chase them around the sump, and equipment.

Just added a sock to my system, good grief, even on a tank just setup, at 2 months old its incredible how much filth begins to settle out down in the sump. Bought 10 socks, to make my life easier with the change outs, five 200 micron felts, and five 100 micron felts.

I wanted so badly to dream up or research up, a way around using socks, I like how socks make near crystal clear water, and make for a clean sump. Socks catch a crazy amount of detritus that is effortlessly exported weekly, click button DC return pump is off in feed mode, remove / replace with clean one in hand, invert sock and spray off bulky mess on outdoor sock post, then place in a container with lid for storage until I have at least 10 to make a full laundry load with..

It may sound like a lot, but its much easier than being on hands and knees trying to suction a sump out, or any other cleaver method under the tank.

Recently started using, seems to help, but be sure to keep them cleaned up as part of weekly maintenance.

I use filter socks on my 75 gal they catch micro particles from water that can be seen floating around display, although if you choose to do filter socks I recommend changing the filter sock ever day or two because they can add to nitrate and phosphates. I have a bunch throw them in a bucket and wash with bleach in washer, and let air dry.

I use instead of socks regular 12"x 4" media bags(fine, 300 microns) on the return pipe to the sump, using a zip tie.
You can buy them by the packs way cheaper, and replace them weekly. I feed my tank zooplankton 2x3 times a week and those fine particles get trapped in the bag without escaping to the sump. One bag still would last a good week IMO. When it's time to replace, cut the zip tie with scissors, tie a new bag in.
Socks, regardless of how cheap you can get them can still be expensive after a while and clog way too fast. This is just my humble opinion

Your media bag is basically doing the same thing as the a filter sock then!
And how often the sock needs to be changed is a matter of how much stuff comes down the overflow. I feed zooplankton too. The amount I feed kind of dictates how often they need changing. But I've never had to change more than about once a week No matter how heavily I feed.
And I have absolutely no doubt that if that sock wasn't there. The first chamber of my sump would have to be cleaned out regularly to keep the gunk down.
And when you get down to your last sock You simply throw the whole lot in the washing machine with some bleach and they come out ready to use again. I've been using the same 5-6 (I forget how many i have) for nearly 2 yrs and I see reason why they won't last for many more years to come. So where's the added expense?

If you use them then clean them regularly (like every 3 days). Otherwise they're just as much a nitrate builder as not siphoning your sump.

Back