Use PWM to control your Jebao DCT pump using brushless motor controller from ebay

I did a bit more google search, and pretty much the standard bemf circuit is what I did in the last mod, which is removing 4 resistors, and replacing 3 capacitors with 10k resistors. So I think the problem is not in the bemf circuit. I'll try other mods when I get some new ideas.

I'm starting on a parts list for my diy controller. I'll use a plain Arduino (either pro mini or nano v3), so the additional circuit will just be the mosfet array and the bemf circuit.
I'll try using the beefy TO-220 mosfets, so I will only have one design/board that will work for all pump models. I sort of like the way the green ebay board layout of the mosfet. you can just slap on a heat sink if needed.

Ok. Since you're working digitally, can you please also consider a modular approach with one master controller and multiple slave power boards? I have 5 of these pumps and my plans go up to 12. Most people will likely need at least two?

Just saying that this is the time to put "expansion-capable" into the spec.

And I'm assuming these run off 0-5V external signals? Can they run straight off Apex 0-10V? Or have voltage setpoint variables for user calibration to the external controller source.

Last edited:
Using just the A4960, that leaves a SPI bus and a PWM and Tach signal to move between multiple drivers. Very achievable. Everything is 3.3/5V logic capable.

please add 0-5v or 0-10v analog input if possible so I can use this with my PLC. Outputting PWM signals is very expesnive and difficult with my PLC.

Anyway, I did some testing today here is what I found (this is with a DCS 7000 pump through 3/4" pipe, flowmeter, 3 90 degree fittings and about 3 feet of pipe).

Ebay controller maxed: 170Hz/34.4LPM/9.4GPM/561GPH

Stock controller maxed: 210Hz/43.8LPM/11.6GPM/694GPH

So it appears that the stock controller has approximately 20% more output. I think we all figure that part out but nice to know we have actually numbers now.

I'll have to work on replicating your flow test setup - I have a random flow totalizer (as in how many gallons have you used) for 1 inch pipe lying around which I've never used.

As for analog voltage, totally in the plan. I can also do 4-20mA if you really want :)

Than would be great. Thank you so much. I'm actually an Electrical engineer but I deal with power in commercial buildings not really electronics. But I understand everything just not great at designing circuits and using ICs.

yea I'm not sure how accurate my flow meter is. I wonder what the head pressure is for the meter because it seems pretty restrictive if its accurate. This pump is rated for 1900GPH at no head and almost 900 at 16 feet of head and I'm not close to that at all. Maybe Ill take a dremel to the inside of it and port it out.

I think in terms of doing A/B comparisons your setup is fine - it's quite possible the numbers on the box are also totally wrong :)

Just let me know when someone gets a decent reliable kit together that I can purchase haha. I am totally lost on all this electronics talk or I would try and help lol. But I would like this control for my dct pumps.

Keep up the good work!

So... On that topic... Theatrus and doughboy, are you collaborating so we can end up with one standard solution, or trying two designs?

So... On that topic... Theatrus and doughboy, are you collaborating so we can end up with one standard solution, or trying two designs?

Right now it's two designs. I'm also trying to fit inside of the Jebao enclosure and reuse some parts (like the heatsink and connectors).

Messy power layout.

b04a320b28eb1e227d9177813e46342e.png

ae2362090e7d2eaa65e94b773b3f3410.jpg

c6c841af224e3bd70bd52a0657f68909.jpg

Weird. Thanks Tapatalk ;) I usually host the images out of my blog system but sometimes post from the phone.

Anyway, shuffled some things around. Realized I can have the heatsink off the edge of the board for the 150W (enough room in the case) which will allow the 50W version to cover all of the backside of the FETs. I tried some other orientations, like rotating the FET array by 90 degrees, which makes the U/V/W taps direct to the pads, but couldn't quite make it work.

Most of the motor-drive is in place, I just need to calculate the sense resistor power drop to see if I need to upsize it (the A4960 includes a handy 10x amp internally).

hs3.png

hs4.png

so I opened up the cp-40 controller, and the bemf circuit is a simplified version of the ones on the dct pump controller (1 less resistor and capacitor). So the mod on the green ebay board makes the bemf circuit identical to the jebao controller. So I think that's as far as any mod can go on the green ebay board, since the rest of the functions are in the motor controller chip.

Another difference is the cp-40 controller uses a shift register to drive the leds. It has a lot more leds than the dc pump controller. The controller chip is the same as the dc pump controller, I would not be surprised if it is some version of AVR mcu. The cp-40 also use the same mosfet as the 50watt pump controller, except it does not come with a heatsink. I don't think 50watt needs a heatsink, the mosfets are still cool to the touch while running at max speed.

I will probably skip the LM339 and connect the bemf circuit directly to the Arduino. I can use the built in analog comparator interrupt to trigger commutation change. It only requires one additional pin use (4 instead of 3) as the reference is now used as comparator positive input.

I'll trace the motor driver circuit on cp-40 controller tonight and will probably use the same circuit. I think the reason you can only use 24v is the mosfet max Vgs is 20v so the pre driver must not use >20v. I think it uses 18v.

Apparently, the reason the ebay sellers dropped the price of crossflow is jebao is coming out with a new version. No further info on what changed.

Back