Used Waterbox Reef 120… 130? I have an opportunity to purchase.

J Crew

I have an opportunity to purchase a used Waterbox Reef tank. They told me they purchased it about 4 years ago, glass and seals are in great condition, and with a bunch of extras. They are calling it a 120gal but when searching I’m only seeing a 130gal. Anyone know if there was a 120 four or so years ago?

The extras are:
2 ecotech gen 4 pro lights

2 ecotech mp40s

ecotech controller for lights and pumps

Apex system

Vertex Omega 15

It also includes the LS and LR. Can you guys look and give me your feedback and thoughts?

Optimally I’d want to add a refugium and an automatic fleece filter. Any input on how I could incorporate those would be greatly helpful. Any upgrades that I should consider swapping out would be great too. I’ll have some extra funds if I pick this up at the price we’ve discussed. So upgrades or swap outs is on the table.

D040B030-B907-4EA4-A138-AB446CD68B59.jpeg
446C6350-FF9E-461E-99C8-62F2B5C20070.jpeg
82EBFC35-2EF1-4DEC-83B8-DEF694611A61.jpeg
6CFEE5D7-5D47-427E-839F-F1E4C8441C57.jpeg

Not familiar with those tanks. What are the dimensions?

While you didn’t say the price, looks like a nice tank.

They said 48"x24"x24" which is 120 gallons, but I can't find a 120 by Waterbox when I google. I think they may have just looked up the dimensions of 120 and sent that to me. I'm probably going to find out tomorrow though, because I think I've decided to drive over and maybe buy it. It's about a 50 min drive for me.

Yep, those dims are 120, but I found this…eta note the dims on this.

Sounds good. Like I said, I’m curious to find out what it actually is. Best of luck, looks. Like a really nice tank and system.

Thanks.

As I'm looking, I think it's the Reef 130.4 (96gal), because the photos of his setup are a two door stand. And that 130gal has three panels. So i don't think it could be that one.

I’ve heard great things about Waterbox, and can’t recall seeing any threads on them leaking. Plus you get some very nice equipment with it. For the right price, I’d definitely make it a consideration

I've decided to pump the brakes on going over today. I need to slow down and figure out how I'm going to transport all of the LS & LR and saltwater.

I really want to redo the sump area and improve it some with an automatic fleece filter. Still on the fence if I'm doing a sock drop in or one in the skimmer section. I'm also a fan of refugiums, so I'm trying to think through where that will go. Modify the sump or ??? I'm also looking at automating some things with Apex, so I need to think through that a little.

With that said, should I try to save the tank and transport everything? Or should break it down, and then reuse once I have everything in place? I believe there's one clown, an anemone, and like two softies in the tank now. I could drop that off at my LFS if I decided to break it down and plan everything out. Or I could try to save it all and plan the upgrades while I ride out the light load it has. I'm just worried about the logistics of transporting and trying to save everything vs knowing I'm going to break it down.

Any opinions and insight here is welcomed! How do I transport if I'm going to try to save everything? How hard will it be to move a 96gal tank with a live sand bed... and how much water to I have to keep in the tank?

Thanks for the help on this.
@reefing102 @griss

You will get many opinions on a sand bed & most will say "dump it".
They become detritus overloads & unless you clean them extremely well it's just not worth the time.
Any tank move should be done with as little water as possible in the tank.
With your questions, IF, that is the tank you want buy it, clean it out, take the livestock to your store & take your time & do it right.

Agreed with @Vinny Kreyling. Unless you plan on really cleaning the sand well, my opinion is dump it. If you have no immediate love loss for the inhabitants, I see no reason slowing down and and breaking it down. If you want to keep the rock live, a brute or two (or even a tub) with some water and pump and or heater should suffice for temporary storage

Thanks for the input. I’m was leaning that direction before, and after your input, I think that’s the way I’ll go.

About how long would the live rock survive in a large trash bin with a power head? I assume I need to mount some lights as well?

Thanks.

So my understanding is as long as you have proper gas exchange, it should live with no issue. Now coralline and other algaes and living stuff besides bacteria, you will want some light. But unless you rotate the rock, the algaes and whatnot on the bottom rocks will die off anyway as light won’t penetrate through rock

So my understanding is as long as you have proper gas exchange, it should live with no issue. Now coralline and other algaes and living stuff besides bacteria, you will want some light. But unless you rotate the rock, the algaes and whatnot on the bottom rocks will die off anyway as light won’t penetrate through rock
Agree

eta here’s some dry rock that became live rock in an old tank of mine. It has been in a Brute trash can in saltwater with heater and pump since 2017. But, kept with no light.

Attachments

• IMG_2671.jpeg
    IMG_2671.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
Okay, perfect. I think I might need two-ish weeks to get everything done before I’m ready to set her back up.

Back