Using Dr. Bronners to clean Filter Socks

gb530

Hello Everyone,

My girlfriend and I try to eat all organic produce and be overall healthy. We use Dr. Bronners as our laundry detergent and was wondering what you guys think of using it for cleaning filter socks. It's all natural and I wouldn't use that much, maybe 4 drops for a small wash.

Here's the ingredients:
Water, organic coconut oil, potassium hydroxide, organic olive oil, lavandin extract, organic fair deal hemp oil, organic jojoba oil, lavender extract, citric acid, tocopherol

More info on Bronners soup can be found here: http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/LS.htm

Some more detail on some specific ingredients:

Potassium hydroxide: also known as potassium hydrate and caustic potash, is a strong alkaline chemical available in pellets and flakes. With the chemical formula KOH, potassium hydroxide is one of the compounds people call lye. Potassium hydroxide is included in cleaning products, and has uses in industry and in medical diagnostics. It also has a role as an alternative health product.
Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/217866-what-is-potassium-hydroxide/#ixzz2DJA7Bi8G

Tocopherol: Tocopherols are a class of chemical compounds of which many have vitamin E activity. It is a series of organic compounds consisting of various methylated phenols.
Read More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tocopherol

Citric Acid: used in many foods as a natural preservative. Heavily found in lemons, oranges, limes, and other citrus fruits.

If they get rinsed really well, there shouldn't be any problem. I don't use any soap. Just a wash and rinse cycle in the washing machine and they come out pretty clean.

I would NEVER use any type of soap on socks. Turn the sock inside out. Add an ounce of bleach. Wash and rinse. Dry the sock in the sun. Any chlorine left will evaporate and do no harm. Re-invert the sock. Use again and again. Not just my opinion. Search threads for soap. Google soap and fish or filter socks and soap... any combination. You won't find any that recommend using soap.

dirty socks....

dirty socks....

Hard spray with a hose nozzle and remove most of the organics inside and out, I use one part sodium hypo to four parts water in a 5/gal bucket and let soak for 24 hours. Then spray off again and let dry and wait another 24 hours for the sodium hypo to dissipate. Makes them white a new looking.

If I were to use soap or a detergent on a filter sock, I'd rinse it in a bit of vinegar-water solution before use, but a good rinsing might be enough.

Yeah, its better to be safe than sorry so I won't be using it. Thought it was a good point to bring up because all the ingredients are natural. Could any of the ingredients listed above have a negative effect on a tanks system?

The citric acid would act as carbon dosing, and the potassium hydroxide would add a bit of potassium and alkalinity. :) There wouldn't be enough of either to be an issue.

I don't know what effect the tocepherols might have.

Back