vodka dosing

My tank isnt large, but I have a 120 that i started to dose a few weeks ago. I started at .1 ML with 100 proof vodka, and have added .1 ML each day. I am now up to 1.6 ML, and havent noticed a change in my nitrates, so i will continue adding .1 ml per day until they drop.

I dose approximately 1 mil per day in my 54 gallon... and have for over a year. I will start after my cyano issues end in my bigger tank.

To a man every pundit and marine bioligist who has ever wriiten an article about the reef hobby has espoused what I consider one of the cardinal rules of reefing."If you cant test for it,dont put it in your tank".Simply stated,unknown levels of any aditive present a clear danger to your reef inhabitants.I would suggest that if you have something like high nitrates finding the actual reason for them and correcting that problem is a far better plan than adding something to your tank that so obviously does not belong there.

Vodka is not used as an "additive," it's used as a carbon source to fuel a bacterial bloom that will consume Nitrate, then the bacteria gets removed by the protein skimmer. Sugar can be used as well. It does work but needs to be measured and monitored very carefully. Definitely not something you just haphazardly pour in your tank.

Re: vodka dosing

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12220696#post12220696 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bullitr
anyone dose there tank with vodka? how much

Please see an original thread here:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showt...88714&perpage=25&highlight=vodka&pagenumber=1

With specific dosing instructions here:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showt...8714&perpage=25&highlight=vodka&pagenumber=21)

And more info here:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1225324&perpage=&pagenumber=1

I've seen mostly good, some bad results with it.

Not only does vodka promote the growth of good nitrate eating bacteria it promotes the growth of a kind of bacteria that coats and kills coral.Its all in those articles I posted,have a look. Maybe you will change your mind about using it.

Save the Vodka for saturday night and read these.
http://home2.pacific.net.ph/~sweetyummy42/dosingsugar.html
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/eb/index.php

I used to be on the fence...despite the fact that my company makes millions by generating bacterial blooms in groundwater through carbon addtions. Bad GW + carbon = good GW (when done properly).

After about 6 weeks of HEAVY feeding in my tank my nitrates remain ND as do my phosphates (this one doesn't count though because I don't have a colorimeter). My SPS coloration and growth is better than ever. No algae outbreaks.

---edit---
BTW - I've read the articles you've linked that discredit carbon dosing. I've also read SDGuy's threads, and many more. To the OP, read it all (ALL) and decide if you want to do it. It's not without risks. But the rewards can be very nice.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12230667#post12230667 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NATIVEVAMAN
Not only does vodka promote the growth of good nitrate eating bacteria it promotes the growth of a kind of bacteria that coats and kills coral.Its all in those articles I posted,have a look. Maybe you will change your mind about using it.

OK, we get it. You don't like vodka dosing.

Actually I would broaden that statement.I am against Aquarium practices in general when they have no basis in scientific fact.For every problem that developes in a reef tank,or any kind of tank for that matter there is a reasonable explanation,and a cure based on good science and reasonable practice's.

Yup, that's right, vodka dosing = magic. Absolutely no science going on here.

Is there a particular reason you can't let someone decide on their own, given the many links provided in this thread....but instead need to hammer it home with 5 posts now, saying the same thing?

BTW, that's rhetorical. I've provided what I can to the OP, and won't post again in this thread.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12230976#post12230976 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NATIVEVAMAN
Actually I would broaden that statement.I am against Aquarium practices in general when they have no basis in scientific fact.For every problem that developes in a reef tank,or any kind of tank for that matter there is a reasonable explanation,and a cure based on good science and reasonable practice's.

You are getting so worked up you're starting to sound a little nutty. There is in fact scientific data to back this up. It's based on biology (science). The Reef Aquarium Vol. 3 book goes into depth about it.

As stated above, it can work, but is not something to do casually as it can be potentially disasterous. I would personally not do it in my tank, but that doesn't mean it's "black magic."

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12230421#post12230421 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NATIVEVAMAN
To a man every pundit and marine bioligist who has ever wriiten an article about the reef hobby has espoused what I consider one of the cardinal rules of reefing."If you cant test for it,dont put it in your tank".Simply stated,unknown levels of any aditive present a clear danger to your reef inhabitants.I would suggest that if you have something like high nitrates finding the actual reason for them and correcting that problem is a far better plan than adding something to your tank that so obviously does not belong there.

We already know what the actual reason for nitrates is... Dosing small amounts of firmented potatos is just a way to help export them from the system. I was forced to go almost 4 weeks without a water change once... and my nitrates were testing zero. I attribute it to the vodka. I have a relatively high bioload and was amazed that there were no nitrates.

I have heard that the Elos system is based on the vodka method. If that is true... are they bad?

Lettuce so obviously does not belong in an aquarium but half of the members here feed it to their tangs.

Alot of people on this forum seem to have the "my way or the hiway" attitude.

Maybe somebody should start a thread entitled "Vodka dosing makes me really, really mad!!! Where people could bash it... instead of sharing both positive and negative "first hand" experiences with it.

Plus... It's really funny when people come over and ask why there's a fifth of vodka under my tank.

The way I see it is this: the vodka works the same way on the bacteria as it works on all of us. The bacteria get "vodka goggles", which lowers their inhibitions and they start to take interest in things that they normally wouldn't have anything to do with, just like humans! The bacteria look at a certain nitrate and think: "Ahhh, no way man...", but after a few doses of vodka, that same bacteria is like: "Oh yeah baby, you lookin' good!!!" So there ya go; the answer to all of your questions.

Back