Vortech QuietDrive

Akrite

I'm surprised there isn't any news of this here, so I'll start it off.

c1792a0b9b26ef1afda9ddf0cf4dd156.jpg

New VorTech pump, with a black controller! Maybe this is why VorTech MP40 price dropped by $100. Sounds like there remodeled to be quieter.

I wish I knew if the MP10 were being redesigned also. The black controller would fit my aesthetics so much better also.

I wish I knew if the MP10 were being redesigned also. The black controller would fit my aesthetics so much better also.

EcoTech has always been great with upgrades, I'm sure they'll be offering an upgrade option for the MP10 which will probably include a new black cover.

As mentioned it is the driver that has had most of the attention. It seems that a mp10 and mp 60 owners can opt to purchase just the new driver (the black one) and get the quietness that has been reported... that way it will fit your lifestyle as well as be quieter....

Yes but when will someone be able to do a real review on them to see how much different they are? Still not sure what all they could do to it to make it better with this setup.

Sonnus explained it very well in another thread. It's understandable that by revamping the drivers you can eliminate most of the noise that the drysides make. I would like to see some side by side comparisons of a driver replacement on pumps that are already in use.

Hmm... that wold be a great idea!!!

Yes, I completely agree!

If I were to guess, they have probably refined their sine or square waves that the driver is sending to the motor to control it and also the amount of sampling and computing that the controller is able to do. This doesn't seem like it would be enough to account for all of the noise reduction but it does start to make sense when you think about it. They could tune the impulses (sine/square waves) to the brushless motor to smooth out the on/off/on/off surges to the motor. If they fine tuned this enough they could get a very smooth operation out of the same motor that was previously loud/rough.

This is probably recent technology and only available from more recent drivers. BL motors not only need to send a signal to drive the motor, they also receive signals from the motor to tell them where the stator is in relation to the permanent magnets. The controller (or driver) has to constantly receive this info and make adjustments to the signal going to the motor. If the processing power is increased then the controller can make these adjustments more frequently and more accurately. And if the controller is able to adjust the shape of the sine wave going to the motor it could smooth out the power output of the motor even further.

Yes but when will someone be able to do a real review on them to see how much different they are? Still not sure what all they could do to it to make it better with this setup.

I saw mention of a dual wearing wet side in an Advanced Aquarist article. I assume (yes, I know how to spell it ;) ) that it provides better stability for the propellor, making it quieter.

As a matter of interest i wonder why they did not make the impeller shorter??
This would make the wetside very thin and take up even less spare in a tank.

i guess its safe to say that its probably gonna be $100 or better now to replace a impeller, good by $20 rebuild kits

i guess its safe to say that its probably gonna be $100 or better now to replace a impeller, good by $20 rebuild kits

the wet side is like the mp10/60, an mp10 is 62 for a whole new wet side, 32 for an impeller, 20 for a frame, 10 for a cage/nozzle.

the mp60 is 150 for whole wet side, and 100 for impeller.

I'd guess that the mp40 will be somewhere between there and likely cost 60-70 for a new impeller. but unless you break it, it should last a very long time, so it shouldn't be a recurring cost and I don't see what the issue is.

I guess the question is, why are you replacing impellers regularly?

not what i would say replacing regularly but at least annually and a occasional drive shaft, unlike others i don't wait until stuff is broken to fix it, I've got to much invested to loose it from being lazy and not doing maintenance. i know i havent updated my signature in a while but i run 6 mp40's and thats a significant price jump if they stop making the old parts and i have to adopt the new style wet side that is if it will even work with the old dry sides.

Last edited:
I'm curious how this will effect the used market. Used mp40's are selling for only $50 cheaper than new right now. That's insane imo. It makes more sense to buy new. If used prices fall I'd be ok with a little noise. If the rumored $349 price on the new QD is true that's a hellofa good deal on a new quieter mp40.

My MP10ES is supposed to be here tomorrow from BRS. I need it/want it pretty bad, but may have to send it back. At this point I either want the new one at the $235 price tag, or I can probably save $50 bucks at least if I wait another couple of weeks when the price drops.

not what i would say replacing regularly but at least annually and a occasional drive shaft, unlike others i don't wait until stuff is broken to fix it, I've got to much invested to loose it from being lazy and not doing maintenance. i know i havent updated my signature in a while but i run 6 mp40's and thats a significant price jump if they stop making the old parts and i have to adopt the new style wet side that is if it will even work with the old dry sides.

are the mp40s that bad? I'm only experienced with the mp10s, I have 2 of them, one of which has been running for over 3 years between 60-100%without a single problem and the wet side is in perfect shape. I couldn't imagine spending that kind of money on a pump and having to replace parts annually.

if the new wet sides are anything like the mp10 wet side it should last a very long time unless you break it, I've only replaced one impeller and that's because snails kept climing inside of my mp10 I bought used and broke one of the blades off, the wet side had been cleaned multiple times but the snails were going after something and I never figured it out.

no there really not but i change the parts regardless if they need it or not, ive been in the position where i had to wait until monday to order a part for a 40 that went bad friday then wait another 2 days for it to get here, I agree the 10/60 wet sided are better, but i have had 2 magnets swell and a snail break a impeller on my 10's, all three times i had to buy a impeller/magnet assembly, when i could have just bought the impeller or magnet separately if it was one of the 40's, if the design works on the 40's like it dose on the 10's and i can get 2 or 3 years out of it im all for it (that is if i can use the new WS with my old DS)

Back