Water changes or not

I feel like this thread went in circles with no end in mind. We all know there are many ways to keep a reef, no water changes, lots of water changes, different lights, filtration, supplementation, etc. I just don't see what the point is to get so harsh about an opinion. I think the only real winner here is randy because he kept his input professional and about the facts, while fishytoo was just trying to personally attack people. I love debates but it has to stay about the facts and nothing else.

We all know there are many ways to keep a reef, no water changes, lots of water changes, different lights, filtration, supplementation, etc.

I agree. It is certainly clear that one can keep a nice tank with no water changes. I just don't think it optimal, but it can be done. That question is one that can really only be answered with trying it and showing the results. It can not be answered hypothetically with math or chemistry or biology.

If you want to be smart about food then we can run studies on that.

We could, yes. Or we could read the ones I've posted in this thread and in the linked articles that already have been done by lots of folks.

If 20% of water is removed and fresh is added then some time later 20% is removed again. DO the math what is the reduction????

That is what I showed. 20% the first time. 20% of what remains the second time...

I can do my own math to the befit of water changes.

But others can't do the math correctly and add uncertainty and what you profess doesn't work with that data you provided.

I have trouble understanding what you imagine doing with a spreadsheet that I didn't do, but I'd be very happy to see it if you post it. :)

I am not sure how you optained your degree or did you studies.

If you want to find out, you can read the published papers that constituted my PhD thesis. I'd suggest that could be a worthwhile exercise for you before continuing to bash me by criticizing things you no nothing about.

I think we have to name one of the reefkeeping methods after you, Fishytoo method. There is many like the Jaubert and Berlin, skimmerless, and than the Fishytoo. You can be also the expert adviser to many people on the forum. First like David Saxby says to see someones tank before seeking advise from him. So like others say lets see your setup or is it all talk. Randy is well respected person who has written many articles for the hobby. You running just one tank and base your facts on that tank. Do you have any degrees behind you and where did you study man.

Ughh This gives me a headache. So far Randy has given you spread sheets and articles and years of study to back up the point he is making. All I have seen from fisytoo is personal attacks on someone who generously gives his time to answer all the many questions reefers have about the complex chemistry questions on reefkeeeping. I am glad to have his expertise on a subject that most times makes my head swim in confusion. Until you come up with some kind of studies that you have done to support your theories you are just babbling. Not to mention some pics of your set up.

Back