water proofing inside stand

zues2006

Has anyone tried to waterproof the inside bottom stand for either a DIY stand build, or a complete build purchase ?
I was thinking about applying a polyurethane coating to the inside of the plywood/walls and putting a tri-poly silicon/caulk along all the inside seams.

Trying to prepare for leaks.
I am planning a 90 G tank with overflows, holes drilled at bottom of tank, plumbing to the 55G sump directly under the tank hidden in the stand.

Anyone bother/try this ? Hate to ruin my wood floors because the tank breaks or develops a leak, or sump issue, or plumbing crack, leak, etc.

Sure...many do it...many use shower pan liner membrane or even paint....Just a few coats of latex paint and caulk at the joints is more than enough to hold water..

I have always water/leak proofed my stands. Why wouldn't you? Like mcgyvr said - a few coats of latex paint and a quality caulk all around and you'll be fine.

The bottom of my stand is water tight. Without the sump in the stand it will hold around 3 gsllons of water. There are two float switches in there also to detect any leaks before it would spill out of the stand onto the floor. This does keep minor leaks from getting to the carpet. The leak detection was triggered one time when a water line poped off the return pump. The controller did shut down the pumps before it spilled onto the floor. If at all possible I would suggest doing it.

White Boat Paint and Boat Primer. Seals and give good reflection for lights inside if you have a refugium. Not expensive and does a great job sealing the inside of the stand.

gR42q9AqZ2uK3JHF8

Back