Wave box.....

cullyisgully

NYRC-LIRA
So im thinking about geting A wave box. Right now I have 3 power heads. What is the best wave box for my 72 bow tank. Not looking to spend all my money to.. So any one with the info just post up on my paot and ill get back to you.

Shoud I get A new one or used... ( I like new )

MP40W ES- ~$450(will make wave easy, but has other water flow patterns available)
Tunze 6206 Nano Wavebox- ~$325(wave only)

Or get a set of something like Koralia Evo's and a "wavemaker" module. Also you could get these powerheads and a APEX or ReefKeeper and use the timers built into them.

If I was in your shoes, I would get the Tunze 6206 for wave action, and an MP10 set on 100% Lagoon mode. JMO of course.

MP40W ES- ~$450(will make wave easy, but has other water flow patterns available)
Tunze 6206 Nano Wavebox- ~$325(wave only)

Or get a set of something like Koralia Evo's and a "wavemaker" module. Also you could get these powerheads and a APEX or ReefKeeper and use the timers built into them.

If I was in your shoes, I would get the Tunze 6206 for wave action, and an MP10 set on 100% Lagoon mode. JMO of course.

Can I hook up my power heads to the MP10...

Tunze 6206 Nano Wavebox who has it the cheeps...

MP10W ES can be sync'd to another Vortec, but not a different companies pump.

Not sure who has the cheapest Tunze(Aquacave.com is $322.85), but I can tell you that their worth every penny. I have the larger one and I love it.

I would. The wavebox will do as advertised- make a wave. A wave only doesn't get as much detritus into the sump. At least with me it didn't, I had the 6212 Wavebox combined with 2X 6105 Streams. The Streams really helped out with kicking up all the nasty stuff.

As much as I like to save as much money as I can(who doesn't?), I do believe that if you pay upfront for a quality product it's well worth it. I've tried many many different methods for flow and in the process, I've lost alot of money. If I would have got the right equipment from the get-go, then I would have saved tons of $.

But to answer your question: No you don't NEED the powerheads, but you would be better off with one or two. If your set on the Tunze, I would then focus on a single pump to replace the ones you have now to run with it. I would go with an MP10W ES, or Tunze 6055. That's just me though.

I dont have a sump or a wet/dry all I have is a propine skimmer...

The propine skimmer I have is A turboflotor multi SL....

that is it....

I do Alot of water changes.......:wavehand:

I have a wave box in my 220, it has waves but I dont let it go more then 1.5"
When I first set it up last year it was awesome, however now that the corals are growing out of control I need much more flow within the tank.
Hence, I have
Two Ecotech MP 40's, ~$800
Tunze Turbelle® Stream 2 Controllable Pump 6305 7,925 USgal./h ~$700,
Tunze Turbelle® Stream 2 Controllable Pump 6205 5,811 USgal./h ~$500
And of course the Wavebox ~$600

All in all excellent flow can be pricey.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A104zkZHRhI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have a wave box in my 220, it has waves but I dont let it go more then 1.5"
When I first set it up last year it was awesome, however now that the corals are growing out of control I need much more flow within the tank.
Hence, I have
Two Ecotech MP 40's, ~$800
Tunze Turbelle® Stream 2 Controllable Pump 6305 7,925 USgal./h ~$700,
Tunze Turbelle® Stream 2 Controllable Pump 6205 5,811 USgal./h ~$500
And of course the Wavebox ~$600

All in all excellent flow can be pricey.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A104zkZHRhI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dam I dont have money like...... If you was in my spot wiht not alot of money and had to pick one. would it be the wave box or MP40 ???

I'd go with MP40. Maybe even 2 MP10s. Much more versatile.

And look around for used... can always find.

I got my MP10 (the regular one) about 1 year ago for $130. (Got lucky and it was still sealed) but just saying.. can always find a deal on used gear.

Maybe even a used MP20

Oh and it reduces the amount of equipment in the tank.... which is always a nice plus. I mean one of the main aspects of reef keeping is the aesthetics right?

I'd go with MP40. Maybe even 2 MP10s. Much more versatile.

+1. A buddy of mine had a 75G with 2X MP10's and it works great. But also, I've seen other 75G's with a single MP40 rock!

And look around for used... can always find.

Agreed. Check the for sale section on here. I see the MP40's go all day long.

Maybe even a used MP20

I personally wouldn't get a MP20 unless you plan on upgrading it to the MP40. The 20's are discontinued, so if the driver breaks you have two options: 1) upgrade to MP40. 2) have a cool dryside paperweight

Im going MP 40 I got some one selling me one for 375 new in box.. What shoud I look for to know it is not the old one I want the wave 2 one..

The Wavebox moves ALL the water. Zero dead spots, but not very strong. I love it though, I wouldnt take it out. Areas such my bottom right hand corner where I have a Zoa and Ric garden the gentle waves of the water keeps em flowing.

The Wavebox moves ALL the water. Zero dead spots, but not very strong. I love it though, I wouldnt take it out. Areas such my bottom right hand corner where I have a Zoa and Ric garden the gentle waves of the water keeps em flowing.

you still have the wave box in the 220??
i thought you needed real estate

I had a mp40 the only thing that was good for was killing my fish . Now i have the wave box and dame that thing move the water way better then the mp40 can and my sps love it more.

I had a mp40 the only thing that was good for was killing my fish . Now i have the wave box and dame that thing move the water way better then the mp40 can and my sps love it more.

Fish getting sucked into the Vortech?

Funny I have had mine for almost 3 years now ... only fish to ever get caught were a couple that were already weak and about to die anyways. I am not saying yours were ... maybe I have just gotten lucky ...

My vote is on a vortech in either case ... more options for flow. :)

Back