What 150w bulb to get?

cocoaandme

Well it is a bout time I change out my bulb and I am wondering if I should try a different brand. Right now I am using a Radium 150 watt 20k bulb with a coralvue ballast. The color looks pretty good but I wouldn't mind more blue. Does anyone have suggestions for a replacement that has more blue but still bright?

I'd stick w/ what you have. I've tried ushio 20k, aquablue line 20k, xm 20k, and one other I can't think of and I liked the radium the best. Supplement them with reefbright blue led strips.

Due to the nature of my light setup I don't really want to add any supplemental lighting. I have heard from some people that pheonix bulbs are more blue. Do you know how the 150w phoenix bulbs compare to the 250w ones? I have used the 250w ones before but I am not sure if they really look the same. I heard that 150w radiums are not as blue as 250w ones. Thanks for helping out!

I used 150w Phoenix and it was a pretty good blue I would say it's more than the 14k it says it is but not quite 20k like Radiums.

I have used a 150w Radium 20k and a 250w Phoenix 14k.

The radium is crisp blue.

The phoenix is crisp white, with blue.

If you're looking for blue Radium is the right bulb. 14k Phoenix is not bluer than a 20k radium in my experience with the bulbs mentioned above.

Both the Phoenix 14K and the Aquamaxx 14K look way better than a 150 watt Radium. They both make corals pop more than the Radium. For 250 watt, the Radium is hard to beat.

I actually may have a Radium here if you want to buy. I will never use it again. I only use the 150 watt set-up for frag swaps so it would not have much time on the bulb. maybe a couple weeks at the most.

Im not sure about the coralvue ballast but on my sunpod the phoenix was way bluer than the radium and by a lot, but I know sunpods don't like radiums.

Back