What Color is Your Carpet? {pics please}

illcssd, very nice picture of your mertens. Didn't you buy it purple though?

I gave bergzy's picture a better look and now I am starting to see some Mertensii in it. The fact that its on the rocks and its tentacle structure leads me to say its a Mertensii. I also noticed that the tentacles farther away from the mouth are more roundish however as the tentacles get closer to the mouth, they become noticably longer. If I remember correctly, Mertensii tentacles do the same thing with the outside tentacles being smaller and round while the inside tentacles become longer.

I still think it could be a Haddoni because it has so many tentacles that are such in a small compact space. I still have seen Haddonis on the rocks many times before. This could be one of those times.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9527183#post9527183 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by illcssd
Bergzy, can you post a pic of the underside of that carpet? Looks like a mertensii to me, and its beautiful.

i'll try and get a pic of the foot when it shows itself! :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9533448#post9533448 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by illcssd
The last picture i posted is of a 20+ inch haddoni.

Wow that is an unusual looking Haddoni. Looks like a Mertensii. I wouldn't be suprised if it was a cross.

I believe its a haddoni. Nothing about that anemone in person points to mertensii. underside, mouth, tentacle structure. perfers sand. It is a haddoni.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9536236#post9536236 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by illcssd
I believe its a haddoni. Nothing about that anemone in person points to mertensii. underside, mouth, tentacle structure. perfers sand. It is a haddoni.

I don't know about the tentacle structure. That leads to me to think Mertensii based off the Haddonis I have owned and seen in the past. Everything else points to Haddoni though. Like I said, I wouldn't be suprised if it was a cross. I once saw a carpet (forgot where) that was a mix between a Mertens and a Haddoni. The way your HAddoni's tentacle structure and pattern looks like a Mertensii. Just look at all the other Haddonis in this thread and yours looks much different.

Sure, where did you see a "mix". Was it dissected to prove it? The anemone is a haddoni. There has been no concrete evidence to even support that carpets to interbreed and thus create hybrids. Just theorys.
This carpet Is a haddoni. The tentacle structure shows haddoni, nothing like that of my mertensii or of any other merten's i have ever seen a picture of. I'm not going to argue with you, the anemone was in my care. Here are some more pictures....
PICT0025.jpg
PICT0028.jpg

PICT0023.jpg

Anyways, 55semireef, what ever happened to your green gigantea you had? and do you still have your crispa and blue carpet?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9536808#post9536808 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by illcssd
Sure, where did you see a "mix". Was it dissected to prove it? The anemone is a haddoni. There has been no concrete evidence to even support that carpets to interbreed and thus create hybrids. Just theorys.
This carpet Is a haddoni. The tentacle structure shows haddoni, nothing like that of my mertensii or of any other merten's i have ever seen a picture of. I'm not going to argue with you, the anemone was in my care. Here are some more pictures....

Anyways, 55semireef, what ever happened to your green gigantea you had? and do you still have your crispa and blue carpet?

Crispa is 14 inches in diameter and doing very well. Unfortunately though, I lost my Green Gigantea to a stupid powerhead that was releasing elecrical charge in my tank. I one day placed my hand in the tank to fix something with the rock structure and I got zapped. Everything in my tank looked stressed at that time. As being the most sensitive creature I had in my tank, the Gigantea died because of this cheap powerhead. That's what I suspect at least. Everything was going good until that powerhead decided to go crazy. Everything else made it though. I sold the blue Haddoni to a friend.

No it was not dissected. I don't think that person would have wanted that.;) Anyways, the carpet would host in the rocks but it had no verrucae but it also had tentacles just like a Mertensii. It was very odd. There were dominant Haddoni and Mertensii characteristics in this carpet. I am not saying it was truly a hybrid between the two, it just looked like a mix. It was very convincing.

I didn't really think we were arguing. I was just having a debate. I am sorry you took it the wrong way. I guess I will stop. :eek:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9527183#post9527183 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by illcssd
Bergzy, can you post a pic of the underside of that carpet? Looks like a mertensii to me, and its beautiful.

what am i looking for to see the difference of a haddoni and merten?

purple/pink/orange spots (verrucae) on the column/underside of the oraldisc is mertens
spots same colour as column haddoni also fewer in some cases

Ithink

Here ya go bergzy, compare the last picture i posted, with this picture...
underside3.jpg

That picture is of the underside of a mertensii. The picture i posted before is of the underside of a haddoni. If yours has these orange or purple spots, its mertensii, if its like the other. Haddoni.

Turns out bergsy lives about 1/2 mile from me. :) I went over to take a look tonight.
I agree that the picture from above looks "different", but in person it is without a doubt a very nice healthy bright green haddoni.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9545919#post9545919 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phender
Turns out bergsy lives about 1/2 mile from me. :) I went over to take a look tonight.
I agree that the picture from above looks "different", but in person it is without a doubt a very nice healthy bright green haddoni.

:D :D :D :D

Thanks for settling it Phender.

Back