what do you think about asm g1x skimmers

dieseldaisy

what are everyone's feedback on the asm g1x skimmers? I have one . any mods for it? any one with expierence with it.

If you an fit it, the G2 is only like $10 more.

If you cant fit the g2, the g1x is a great skimmer. just a bit smaller than the G2 requiring you to clean the waste cup more often.

Both skimmers use the same pump if memory serves me right

ASM skimmers WERE really good like 10 years ago. There are lots of mods that you can do to improve efficiency however.... their design hasn't changed at all and there are a lot of new skimmers that have incorporated those mods and that are more efficient. I personally like the skimmers from cadlights.

I run a G1X and although I've always said that it's a good bang for the buck skimmer it really seems like they are being pushed into the background. There are so many great skimmers out there now for the same price. I would look at something else (like Joel said) with a gate valve and other mods.

Did you guys all miss the part where he said he already had the skimmer? :lol:

ASM gets hate these days for not being the shiniest newest design. Personally I don't think this is really a big deal. They'll skim just fine if matched to the system's demand and tuned correctly.

If I had one, I would gate valve mod it, and be done with it.

did you guys all miss the part where he said he already had the skimmer? :lol:

Asm gets hate these days for not being the shiniest newest design. Personally i don't think this is really a big deal. They'll skim just fine if matched to the system's demand and tuned correctly.

If i had one, i would gate valve mod it, and be done with it.

+1

the ASM skimmers were highly sought after in the past because they are easily modified to become a recirculating skimmer. now you can buy recirculating skimmers for pretty cheap with a better body shape. so i think the have fallen in popularity. but they are still a very solid skimmer.

i have one and have used it for 5 yrs. i put the gate mod in and meshed the needle wheel. i love it, but i do run it a little wet, so i have to empty it everyday or two. i am also running it in a 210 gal system. i should also point out that my new tank is understocked at the moment.

Last edited:
does anyone have info on how to do a gate valve upgrade and what exactly will this do for me? anyone have any pictures of it ???

take the elevation pipe out of the skimmer. then i placed a fernco on the top and a pvc elbow on that. from there i put a valve and then a tee with another elbow( to direct the water downward and lessen spray). the idea is to be able to control the out flow of the water and fine tune the water level in the chamber where you want it. if you want wet skim, raise the elevation a bit. if you want dry skim, lower it.

What he said^^^^
Foam fractioning is foam fractioning. New or old school. Simple mods can improve and update old tech. Most importantly. What size tank and what do you plan on keeping? I will try to find a like to show you a gate valve mod. brb.............

Mesh mod is good too. You could overdrive it and make it a recirculating meshmodded monster.

IMHO, it's really easy to overwhelm the necks on these little skimmers with too much air. It is pretty funny to watch a tiny skimmer send a bazooka load of foam out the neck though, so heck, go for it. :lol:

I've been using larger asms, 2 4xx s ,without any mods for over 5years. They do fine. Air intake is bit noisy.

People are talking about mesh mods and recirulation mods and I asked what they are and their benefits are. Thought that was straight forward. My language is English sorry if you don't speak it!

Back