What I do to keep fish healthy

One of the best and most useable of these are frozen shrimp.

Actually frozen shrimp for human consumption is not one of the best foods, although I eat them all the time. They are not bad, but the best would be a whole animal like a clam, mussel or oyster where you would be feeding the entire animal and not just the muscle like you would be feeding with a shrimp. Shrimp in the US are sold cleaned of the guts and that is the best part to feed fish.
If you can get small shrimp that are intact with the heads on, that would be a very good food.

Last edited:
Paul, great post (as usual)! I usually feed Little Neck clams, as those are the easiest for me to get where I live. However, my local grocery store just got in some huge Cherry Stone clams. Opinions on these?

I bought some little necks today myself. I like to buy chowder clams only because they are bigger and I don't have to open clams so often but any kind of shellfish would be good. Of course I eat any kind of shellfish also.
But don't use scallops because you are only buying the muscle and not the entire animal.

I bought some little necks today myself. I like to buy chowder clams only because they are bigger and I don't have to open clams so often but any kind of shellfish would be good. Of course I eat any kind of shellfish also.
But don't use scallops because you are only buying the muscle and not the entire animal.

Thanks. I primarily feed clams, mussels and raw shrimp, in addition to an assortment of prepared "fish foods". I've also begun soaking my pellets in Omega-3 fish oil (as per your suggestion) and my fish have never looked more vibrant! The only downside I've experienced is the fish seem to be a bit feistier with one another. But hey, maybe they are feeling frisky and are getting into breeding shape! :thumbsup:

The only downside I've experienced is the fish seem to be a bit feistier with one another. But hey, maybe they are feeling frisky and are getting into breeding shape!

Feisty fish are healthy fish because they are in spawning condition and want to impress the ladies.

I still have to run to the store & buy clams. I keep forgetting everytime I'm there lol

I'll be starting the fish oil soon too. Paul you always have such good advice & your dirty old clown still spawning shows that you're doing something right :)

Does just any fish oil work? I've been wanting to try this for a while, but haven't really made time to look for it. Are we talking about the pills in the pharmacy section, or is it found in another form somewhere else?

6 clams cost you $10.00? Where do you live, in Arizona?
Here in NY they are about fifty cents each. But 6 clams would last me about 4 months

6 clams cost you $10.00? Where do you live, in Arizona?
Here in NY they are about fifty cents each. But 6 clams would last me about 4 months

For Cherry Stone clams? Each of them weigh more than 1/3 lb. 50 cents/each for Little Necks sounds about right.

If it is a third of a pound that should be a chowder clam, but it doesn't matter, they are the same thing just different sizes.
For those big clams I would open it a little before you freeze it and stick something in the shell to keep it slightly open, then freeze it or they are not real easy to open once they are frozen.

The only thing I don't like about the fish oil, added to NLS pellets, is that the tank gets this 'scent' :D --Lars

Can you feed oysters? I looked hard for FRESH clams but couldn't find any, so I bought some grey; spike shelled oysters.

Yes you can, or send me the oysters and I will eat them and send you some cheap clams. :dance:

Good read, I will add clams to the menu. Im sure I will have no problem finding them down here. Still a little skeptical about the fish oil.... the only way you can obtain it is through the pill? If so, do you cut it open and put it all over the food?

Back