What I do to keep fish healthy

Of course, many people with very healthy, old systems quarantine. I am sure I am in the vast minority. I also use a reverse UG filter and collect mud in the sea to put in my tank. I don't expect anyone to do what i do.
But it is wize to keep your fish in the best health possable no matter what you do.

Jack, you just feed your fish some fresh salmon? I'm a chef and we serve salmon that I cut daily and toss scraps away. I keep some to make a homemade food concoction but just salmon chunks would be nice....
Corey

Yes, bite size pieces and not very much, it will kill your skimmer foam for a while, at least if it is good and oily. :D

Nice thread, I've got one question though. I have been feeding little neck clams for some time. I freeze them initially, and then usually just crack them open and toss them in. Is there a down side to feeding this way as opposed to cutting the slivers? My puffer likes to bite at something as opposed to pick slivers out of the water column.

I have a pair of purple tilefish that I would really like to get to spawn, but haven't seen any evidence of it yet. I may try the black worms, but I don't know of anywhere here locally in Ohio to get them. Is there any downside to feeding black worms on a frequent basis?

I have been feeding blackworms almost every day for almost fifty years, I have not seen any downside yet. Maybe that happens in fifty five years.

Puffers love clams and if you can get small enough clams, they will bite through the shell.

Clams here at publix market is 46 cents each. They are about 1.5x1.5.... That doesn't sound like a good deal.

I got them anyways. 10 for like 4.86. Cut them open. Their weak spot is the back where the two join. Wedged a knife in and then went around the front. I triple bagged it so my fridge doesn't smell like something died.

Correction, freezer lol. I opened them up, froze them, and pulled all the stuff out. I fed them a small piece but I had to break it up with my hand and knife in a small plastic tupperware i use.

Don't take them out of the shell. Freeze them and just shave off paper thin slices. Once you remove them from the shell they are hard to cut and you end up with chunks instead of tissue paper thin slices that even clown gobies can eat.

Paul, do you breed blackworms? I've read it's not too difficult but wondering if anyone does this, how much work it is, and also wondering what they feed the worms if they do. I've read you can use sinking pellet food, but don't you pretty much get out (nutrient wise) what you put in? Is the pellet food sufficient?

They do breed but they do that by breaking off pieces of themselves. I feed them paper towels, cheap date. They will also live on brown paper bags or anything that rots.
You can add some pellets or flakes as they don't eat that, but the products of decomposition.

They don't reproduce fast enough for my needs but If I wanted to start a larger enclosure for them, they might.

Paul,

Really great post. A couple years back when I breed and raises various species of clownfish I made my own food from whole ingredients. A friend of mine would bring whole squid from Minneapolis for me along with whole shrimp. The mix also included live blackworms, at least before the blender was run, whole fish, clams, mussels, oysters, additional fish oil, and live kelp.

The clownfish loved it and grow nice and healthy and laid nest off eggs that where very nice sized. The larvae were extremely strong at hatching and it wasn't usual to have 100% hatch rates and raised rates in the high 90's.

Thanks again for putting this information out there.

Dave

The mix also included live blackworms, at least before the blender was run, whole fish, clams, mussels, oysters, additional fish oil, and live kelp.

If people would realize this, they would not have to start all those posts about ich, spots, velvet, fin rot, dying, crying, etc.

But many people just feed flakes, some pellets and wonder why they can't keep a fish alive for 2 years. It boggles the imagination.

Back