What is the the best coral food u ever used for sps?

I usually mix oysterfeast, reef snow, amino acids ie aspartic acid, vit c, and 1 drop iodate/iodide soln. Works well for me

I feed at night, dose AA to get polyp extension, then ~20min later dose Reef Snow. I have also used the ZEOvit coral vitalizer and AA combination with good results but found it pricey. Reef roids or coral frenzy work great on my zoas. Target feed the food if u can, I don't bother targetting with the AA. Dan

Good 'ol fashioned newly-hatched brine shrimp and/or the decapsulated cysts.

Petersen, D., Wietheger, A., Laterveer, M. [2008] Influence of different food sources on the initial development of sexual recruits of reefbuilding corals in aquaculture. Aquaculture 277:174-178.

Also, frozen rotifers are on the menu.

Cheers
Mike

One faster growth , you will only get that from having stable parameters, Alk ,cal,mag . For very fast growth just keep youe par with no swing at all. In order for you to do this you need to use the balling light method. As for color lighting and lighting cycle play a big roll in this, its all on how much par you light put out and how long should thay be on. Get that in check first then think about food for sps.

Oh I forgot to mention Reef Roids. All my lps and clams have a feeding response when I feed the tank this stuff, so my sps must be getting some as well.
Bat600 there are many other ways to keep a water parameters stable other than balling light method. I use kalk top off and that is it and my tank stays super stable. There is also the calcium reactor and 2 part daily dosing by hand or auto dosing by a pump. All these are great methods for keeping cal and alk stable. Many many things come into play when it comes to coral color, environment, lighting, feeding, chemical warfare.

Last edited:
Wow thats an expensive slurry! I assume you are feeding before the lights come on and after they go off? I understood that SPS feed at night.

Have you always target fed? I usually just dump the food in front of my Vortechs.

I have always target fed, and yes, Its a hefty bill when I get Coral Foods from my LFS, I just recently started feeding twice a day, and I have noticed great improvements in my Birds of Paradise, Nana, and Valida, Purple Haze Monti, Sea Fans, with growth, Color, and Polyp extension.Heck, Ive seen Big Improvements in all my SPS, and Inverts, I am seeing more pods than ever, my Pelvic Spot Wrasse stays super fat eating them.Potassium dosing also is something I started doing recently, and my Blue SPS look incredible!I also started running 2 skimmers, its more to maintain but it keeps my tank uber clean.

:beer:

-Cody

Lots of fish well fed with a mix including brine, mysis,blood warms and cyclopeeze which is broadcast fed 2x per day works or me. Vodka and vinegar dosing keep bacteria levels up and add the food web from the bottom up while providing some organics and acetate and controlling inorganic nitrogen and phosphate

I personally would not feed blood worms to any marine fish or corals. It is not a part of their diet. There are many many other great foods out there for marine fish and inverts. Blood worms are good for carnivorous fresh water fish though. Plus one on the vinegar dosing.

I personally would not feed blood worms to any marine fish or corals. It is not a part of their diet. There are many many other great foods out there for marine fish and inverts. Blood worms are good for carnivorous fresh water fish though.

hmmm !

is this through experience ?

did you know the nori we feed to our tangs is a cold water species ? no tang we keep ever eats that in nature.

PE mysis is freshwater species.

I have been feeding blood worms to my fish, and they love it.

only problem which might have made u think this way used to be parasites on blood worms, those can be easily washed off, and breeding them in clean environment can prevent it even further :)

butterflies go crazy over blood worms specially.

I'm a little curious and I know the arguement we keep a "non natural" ocean box, but have you ever heard of fish/corals eating carrots and broccoli?

We eat fish and we're not from the ocean. Taste's pretty good and we even get some omega fatty acids from it. I haven't had a fin pop out of my neck yet... LOL. Seriously though, I have actually read that the nutrition in brocoli is actuall very beneficial in helping fish recover from HLE...

I used to feed coral smoothie. I have now stopped and seen no differance. I think fish poop is enough to keep the colour up. What makes people say tang poop is the best? Just wondering.

Last edited:
Back