What to feed picky Mimic Tang in quarantine

trmiv

So a week ago I bought a yellow mimic tang that is now in quarantine. He will pick at every type of food I put I the tank but he spits out the vast majority of things I've tried. I'm really not sure what exactly he's living off of because he appears to not like anything. He's very interested in going after food and putting it in his mouth, just not particularly interested in swallowing it. Things I've tried

Spirulina brine
Omega One Kelp flakes
LRS Fish Frenzy
Hikari Mega-marine algae
Omega one red and green seaweed sheets attached to both clips and rocks

Even the algae sheets he will lightly pick at but spit it out. Not sure what to do to get him to actually eat significantly.

I have one, he;s really not that picky. Try frozen hikari mysis shrimp and mega marine algae. I feed alot of frozen foods, he also eats the marine mix and angel mix. Just make sure what every bits are chopped up really small, he does take down pe mysis but that's about as large of pieces he goes for.

So this guy has suddenly decided he likes the dried seaweed. I left some in for quite awhile and came back to find him picking at it regularly. I also have some freeze dried California blackworms coming because I noticed he will eat the few blackworms that are in the LRS fish frenzy. Also ordered some Hikari seaweed extreme pellets as they seem popular with tang owners. Hopefully all that will fatten this guy up.

So this guy has suddenly decided he likes the dried seaweed. I left some in for quite awhile and came back to find him picking at it regularly. I also have some freeze dried California blackworms coming because I noticed he will eat the few blackworms that are in the LRS fish frenzy. Also ordered some Hikari seaweed extreme pellets as they seem popular with tang owners. Hopefully all that will fatten this guy up.

That's a good thing. My tanks destroy the sheets of Nori I put in my tank. My purple will shake the clip till it comes loose and drag the sheet around. He's kinda a jerk.

I have had luck with PE Mysis Shrimp and NLS Fincky Eaters. Did you see the Tang eat? Does he show any signs of flukes or any other parasites? How long have you had it? It usually don't take a Mimic that long to eat and get settled in. Just be patience and keep trying different things.

I guess I spoke too soon about this guy. Today he dusted off a 2" square piece of nori and he's loving the LRS fish frenzy.

Sometimes a fish just needs a bit of time to acclimate. I never worry until a new fish is into a second week of not eating.

Back