What tool for this tightening?

dnguyen1

Will work for fish
Hello guys I don't even know what this piece is called sorry... but I'm filling up the tank I had a leak here it looks like it shifted in transport so I need to tighten it but I can't get a good grip with my hands or finger... I'd imagine I'd have to be careful with any tools... is there something that can help? And do you recommend Teflon tape? IMG_4469.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats called a bulkhead nut, and no tool is needed to tighten. It should only be hand tight.

Just make sure its assembled properly. Starting from inside the tank, bulkhead, gasket, then the nut on the outerside. There should be no gasket between the glass and the nut. The gasket should be between the glass and top of the bulkhead inside the tank.

Never use teflon tape on plastic fittings, its a great way to crack them. Instead go to your local big box hardware store and look for some teflon paste. Use that instead on plastic. Although in this situation neither will work. The gasket should keep everything water tight as the nut just tightens the flange to the glass. The nut actually holds back no water, thats what the gasket and flange on the top side are for.

If after tightening it still leaks, replace the bulkhead.

I never suggest people use tools on bulkhead nuts, as no one seems to know what a 1/4 turn is. They typically end up cracking the glass, or the bulkhead from over tightening. But yes a 1/4 turn with channel lock type pliers works wonders as long as you don't over tighten.

"it still drips a bit, lets tighten it a bit more" SNAP.......

Instead of just taking it apart and seeing if the gasket is seated properly(most times you have a leak they are not). Bulkheads have been used for years and years. They typically don't leak if installed properly. One of the tricks while tightening the nut is to not let the bulkhead spin, causing the gasket to wrinkle and leak.

I also hand tighten and then use channel locks. This is especially helpful if you discover a leak and the tank is on the stand the the nut is now recessed in the cabinet top and difficult to get a finger grip on. What I have found is the leak is usually caused by a seal that slipped a little out of position.

Yeah I think when everything dries up this weekend I'll be easier. How do you properly set everything in the overflow box? It just seems so tight and deep in there... w/ the return pipe it seems spacing is really limited, I'll check when I get home :)

Thanks guys.

Often if installed bulkheads 'shift' they have to be removed, all surfaces (including the gasket) cleaned of any debris and reinstalled to stop drips. I have a bulkhead wrench at home that I use for that extra 1/4 turn. Clean bulkheads should be ok with just hand tight though.

Is there a specific chronological order to remove the piping? It seems to be difficult for me to get a grip on the smoother but st the top side of the bulk head

Is there a specific chronological order to remove the piping? It seems to be difficult for me to get a grip on the smoother but st the top side of the bulk head

Are you saying the entire bulkhead is turning when you turn the nut? If so have someone hold the pipe coming out the the smooth end. You may need a pliers to hold it. If the nut is really stuck you may have cross-threaded it, but with some effort it will come off.

Thanks jtl I got it loose and cleaned it up I did my best to go back and forth from top to bottom to tighten. But I will take your advice and get somebody above push down a bit to eliminate any space

Remember do not overtighten. If you have it off and have not cross-threaded it will snug up. If it is spinning when you hand tighten then something is wrong. Like others have said you really should not need to tighten with a tool, some of us do, but only when it already is too tight to move by hand. I don't want you to apply a lot of leverage and crack the glass.

Thing to remember: a 5'6" woman with decent hand strength can hand-tighten one of those so that it will not leak. Don't overdo.
Second thing to remember: if installing a brand new bulkhead connector, be sure that not even a speck of lint is on the gasket face: if you have a leak, a grain of sand is a good guess.

Try a little silicon gel on the gasket.

Re guarding over tightening, It may very well leak if over tightened as the gasket can get squeezed out.

Silcon gel the same stuff that holds aquarium glass together?

No thats a adhesive silicone not to be confused with silicone sealant like the one form homedepot for doors and windows. Just tighten by hand and if you want it a little tighter use a wrench not give it a extra turn or a basin wrench if you ant get pliers in the spot.

If you want to know how much to turn think of a clock its 12 on the dot turn it it to 12:05 or 12:10
Not 12:20 or 12:30 or 1 just a little extra will be enough. If it leaks replace part as stated in other post.

A bulk head is far less costly than a tank.

You need this under sink with no space is no different than no space under tank

abd2b2973dfc34f979376a2a91395e02.jpeg

Back