What's is scuba diving REALLY like?

Crazy lol. I just asked bc i plan to scuba in my lifetime and was watching a reef show and they said something about how if you dont do something right your lung could burst or something liks that

That can lead to an embolism or what I typed previously, my brother died from an embolism from a scuba accident in 73. Scuba is extremely safe, but he was very inexperienced and to me even with the loss of his life and nearly my own a few times, for a good complete life, this sport should be experienced!

Been diving over 30 years, the most dangerous part of any dive is the drive to get where I'm diving

Hey Bill, this I agree with. I have been diving since 1971 and I never got hurt diving other than a few lobster bites. I was scared once or twice though, Once off Execution Lighthouse when a cormorant (bird) must of mistook me for a sardine and crashed into me wrapping his 4' wings around my head while flapping in the zero visability water.

There he is on the right looking all innocent. Harold, I think that was his name.

Did you know that there is a rule on dive boats? 150+ y/o dive for free! :)

Wonderful thing about diving is once you are in the water you are weightless. As long as you are reasonably fit and don't rust you'll have a great time.

Find a pig/dog sitter and then get wet!!

well, now you have given me something to seriously think about! how do you feel about giant dogs and muddy pigs? i would pay you tree fiddy a day if you come and take care of farm stuff for me. :)

I never knew that rule about dive boats.
But I normally dive off my own boat so I can use that rule for myself and dive for free.
Of course I never charged myself and used to pay myself in lobsters, flounders and sea urchins. :D

Got to watch out for those Cormorants :D Never had one hit me, but they do look cool when they dive down right in front of you.

Bill you are used to that eastern Long Island diving, that is like the Caribbean, here in the western sound all I could see was the foot of that thing, the rest of it was flapping around my head. I thought it was the Loch Ness monster and for all I know, it was. :hmm2:

diving is what pushed me into having a tank, i just had to have a small piece of it with me everyday since i dont live close to the ocean. Comfort def depends on the person. I have done alot of caverns and dont really like the overhead so i tend to suck a tank fast, but put me in a lake or a reef and i relax and get caught up in the amazing world that lies beneath the surface. If you like your tank you will love reef diving.

Scuba diving is truly like being in an aquarium ! I agree
with all of you and it is special !

Happy diving !
Sea Dwellers

Glad someone resurrected this old thread. I posted on this thread while I was doing my certification in 2014. Over 150 logged dives and almost 4 years later, I'm totally addicted to diving...as is my wife. We haven't taken a single vacation in the last 3 years that wasn't a dive vacation!

I used to be an assistant SCUBA instructor in San Francisco Bay Area (San Francisco State and then private). I have seen many people taking the class for all different reasons. I would say only 20% of the certified students were still diving after 2 years. This was California cold water diving.

Having a Reef Tank will probably put you into the 20% that would stick with it. You must be comfortable in the water to enjoy it. The initial cost is not cheap, but reef tank is neither. After that you can keep the cost down if you are willing to do "local" beach diving.

That said - I loved it and I am happy I took my SCUBA certification in 1984.

Couldn't agree more!!!

I've been diving since my teens and I'm lucky enough to live in an area where i can pretty much dive when I want. Not to mention the fact that I'm only a couple of hours away from Key Largo for those weekend trips. got my girlfriend (currently fiancé) to get certified and we've been going strong! We are getting married in Islamorada in June and will be going on the honeymoon (1 week at Buddy Dive Resort in Bonaire) the week after Thanksgiving.
I shoot underwater photos so try to "get wet" as much as possible. Diving is what got me into Marine Aquariums, so somewhat opposite of the OP. If anyone is interested, my only suggestion is to invest the proper time in the instruction and if at all possible, try to get Nitrox Cert as well.

Next time you are in Key Largo look us up ! I hope you have a great wedding in
Islamorada and a even greater time on your Honeymoon in Bonaire , Buddy Dive
is a good choice !
Sea Dwellers
www.seadwellers.com

Next time you are in Key Largo look us up ! I hope you have a great wedding in
Islamorada and a even greater time on your Honeymoon in Bonaire , Buddy Dive
is a good choice !
Sea Dwellers
www.seadwellers.com

Where do you dock from? We typically stay at Marina del Mar, and as such, usually dive with Ocean Divers. We have been out with Pennekamp and Amoray and are always willing to try a new boat! Especially if it is a more diver-friendly!

I became comfortable diving very quickly. I think by my 10th dive I was relaxed and comfortable, no longer burning through air or fighting buoyancy. It's one of my favorite things to do and try to take at least one trip a year.

Having good instructors and guides is key. I would take the class part of certification at home where you can devote a lot of time to studying and really learning the basics in a pool. Once you jump into the ocean the uncontrolled environment complicates things a bit.

Having a Reef Tank will probably put you into the 20% that would stick with it. You must be comfortable in the water to enjoy it. The initial cost is not cheap, but reef tank is neither. After that you can keep the cost down if you are willing to do "local" beach diving.
That all depends on circumstances. Living in the middle of the continent there is not a lot of beach diving. Cold water lake diving never piqued my interest either.

I personally felt comfortable on my first dive. The only 'kind of scary' dive I did was a night dive. For some reason I get nervous when I can't see bottom or some under water reference. The ride down the anchor chain in pitch black made me a little nervous. As soon as I saw bottom, I was fine.

I learned to dive on a 'bucket list' trip to OZ a few years back. If I had reasonable access to tropical reefs, I would still be diving.

Back