What's the most humane way to euthanize a fish?

tastingSalty

I have 2 3-stripe damsels and the bigger one nipped the smaller one slowly for about 2 weeks now. Now he has missing fins and white spots on him and just looks beyond hope :( I don't want him to suffer. What's the best way to (sigh) get rid of him? I'm contemplating either freezing him in water or whacking him with a stone . . .

I hate this situation . .

How about letting him heal up in your QT tank, and then give or trade him to your LFS? The white spots may just be from a virus, and will go away when he is less stressed.

how to kill it?

how to kill it?

i would feed it to another fish, or give it to an anemone. or just kill it wit no water in a bag. you can also give it to you local fish shop.

The most humane way is to put it up on craigslist and give it away for free. There are plenty of people who would love saltwater fish but don't have a whole lot of money to go buy new fish all the time.

how would you like to be put in a freezer or hit in the head with a hammer find a lfs to take him or give him away weres your passion

I wouldn't like a hammer to the head very much, but there are times when a fish is visibly suffering. A hammer is one and done. There is no slow freezing, no suffocation, no osmotic shock (toilet), no chance of it surviving and becoming an invasive species (toilet).

Secondly, I don't know too many LFS that will take a half-dead fish. It might introduce something to their other fish, and it might not be worth it or possible to ehal it. Craigslist is fine...but would you take a diseased or almost dead fish in because you don't have a few dollars? If that's the case, then you don't have money to buy meds and probably don't have a hospital tank.

I myself agree with the fastest way to stop the animal from suffering. The hammer. I know it will be hard at first, but just do it and get it over. The first time I had to put a deer down from being hit by a car was hard. I was like 5 feet from it, aimed at the head and let the shotgun do the rest. But I know it was the right thing to do since it had broken legs and was in really bad condition.

Just get it over with is the point. Stop its suffering.

I have never tried this , but have heard of this method for humanly boiling a lobster. You bring the pan of water to a boil for five min and then leave it to cool. The boiling removes oxygen from the water, so when you put the lobster in he becomes hypoxic and becomes anesthatised. After he is asleep, you turn on the gas and bring the water to a boil (this step not required for the fishy).
When you hold your breath, what causes the sensation of panic is not a lack of oxygen. Rather, it is the build up of carbon dioxide. I have never cooked a lobster, but when I was in the USAF I had the opportunity to experience hypoxia, a very pleasant feeling.
Not sure of the practical application of this for euthanising a fish in a hurry as it takes some preparation. Just some food for thought.. no pun intended.

I agree with those who say.....Freezer for a fish that is still some-what alive but can't swim, eat or do anything for itsself. It is no use if the fish is sitting there in pain or having a hard time breathing. If there is a larger fish that would eat it, the quicker the better.

Back