What's up with people selling there old equipment for crazy prices?

What cracks me up is all the people new to the site that get all bent out of shape cause they can't get in to see all that overpriced stuff. :lol2:

There's nothing wrong with complaining about people selling used for way over it's worth. We have a guy in our local club that is trying to sell a tank for about 80% of its value. He's even listed multiple equipment items to part out for more than they sell brand new... needless to say he's bumping his stupid thread a couple times a week. However, on the flip side if you're trying to by a Ferrari for 30% of its brand new value, then you should move on and not complain. If you can't afford it that's fine but don't complain. You can't get mad at someone else for not offering their MP40 for $250 when they know they can sell it all day everyday for $325. At the same time there's an argument that people should quit being cheap. It goes both ways, just depends on the product and circumstance. You can't buy everything for cheap even used. And if you are one of those people then not every hobby is for you. (Not directed towards anybody. Just a general statement)

I see this all the time on craigslist with pretty much everything. I saw a guy selling some mustang wheels for $600 used when you could get the exact same set new online for $480 shipped. I called him on it, even sent him a link where they could be had for less new. Never got a reply for some reason. hmm

As far as Vortech's selling so high, I agree, it's ridiculous. That being said, I have an MP40 I'm going to sell in a couple weeks, and I'm going to list it the same as everyone else. If people are willing to buy it at a retarded price, you better believe I'll sell it at a retarded price. haha

I think some are reasonable and some are not. I was told by many friends to not tally cost. The reason I'm addicted to this hobby is not because of the price. I agree that asking outrageous prices is ridiculous but again it is there stuff. I'm having a skimmer built for 250 new that I'm sure is better than most skimmers used for 350 or 500. I like the way you can build relationships on here. I'm very new to the hobby and I'm learning so much. I am a research junky so if someone is selling something I usually will look all over before buying. The key to buying used stuff is patients. If people want to help others and see it as a hobby they will and those people are transparent. Others are just in here to get and not give. I plan to help others when I can or when my knowledge of the hobby expands. I bought my first tank at a LPS and will never do it again. I'm sure I will give it away even though I over paid. The world is full of all kinds of people and I don't sweat somebody else's issues. I love and respect everyone no matter what. God takes care of the rest. This is a Forum/Club and from what I can tell no discrimination at all..... thanks God Bless

What cracks me up is all the people new to the site that get all bent out of shape cause they can't get in to see all that overpriced stuff. :lol2:

This. :lol:

If you can't afford it that's fine but don't complain. You can't get mad at someone else for not offering their MP40 for $250 when they know they can sell it all day everyday for $325. At the same time there's an argument that people should quit being cheap. It goes both ways, just depends on the product and circumstance. You can't buy everything for cheap even used.

And this. 100%.

I'm new on this forum... if I can't find what I want for a good deal used, then I will buy it new..... if it's a 100 dollar difference then might as well get it new. I just bought a whole 75gal setup for 350 on here. It all looks new even the cabinet. well over 1200 dollars if I bought it new. I would say it was a great deal. I would have paid that much for the lighting alone... Tank, Cabinet, lights, sump, plumbing.... no complaints. From what I read it's a luxury to have the opportunity to buy and sell on here. I'm very thankful for that. Now I can purchase all the important stuff new and get things I want.

The super high used pricing on stuff made me just to buy everything new. When I can only save like 150$ on a 800$ skimmer I didn't think twice to buy used. Or save 50$ on an Apex? No way. You don't know how old or abused the equipment is. But some things I bought used only when it's a great deal. Like 2 mag 18s for 90$.

Seems like Vortech, tunze & the apex or reefkeeper controllers all hold their value real well.....

maybe because they are in high demand and last a long time....

Most everything elese seems to go for a lot less than retail....

Supply and deamnd, and necassaty to sell will dictate prices

It seems that vortechs are for sale everywhere on the forum now too....

I just sold my 220 gallon tank, stand, sand, aquaeuro return pump, Rubbermaid sump, plumbing, and old light for about 600$ really a fair price I think and so did the buyer. On CL there was a 20 gallon tank and equipment for 2K. Might have been a misprint.....I hope
Corey

I agree... if it's going to be something like an Apex or something I'm going to keep long term and electronic... I'm buying it new. I see used pumps on here all the time... that's probably not an item to cheap out on, especially depending on your plumbing skills... 180 dollar difference is not much of a difference. I have seen a seven hundred dollar skimmer for 500 used... to me I would just buy it new. I guess that's how I always get good deals.... I don't allow myself to get suckered. Beyond the fact I always plan to buy everything first. Then decide if I get a deal or not.

What's with people posting about other people asking whatever they want for THEIR used items? :D You can ask whatever you want for whatever you own and want to sell. It just might not sell. Who cares..

IMO,, never sell your old equipment. I have a 10 gallon, 20 gallon, 29 gallon, 2 x 55gallons, rimless 30gallon cube laying around from the past 17 years of my hobby. Why would I sell these for what $20? I've actually endedup using my 20 gallon recently after assuming my 29 gallon sump was leaking. I have old pumps from few years ago that I just made use of this past month. I have old mag drives that make my life easy when doing water changes. Unless these hobbyist get enough money for there used stuff they can't justify selling it. I just think it's crazy how 2 year old vortech's will sell for $300..the wet side on these pumps has to be replace in 4 years ($90). Even when these buyers get the pump it's like they have to go through multiple bids to final pay High price.

This not about Pumps alone...it's frustrating how hobbyist who are in this hobby for the love of it charge other hobbyist $30 for tiny frags! It is a supply and demand hobby and for some stupid reason this hobby has a demand for used junk. I don't go to the used section anymore since the prices and demand for these item is to much to handle. When i used to go on I looked for Used protein skimmers and thought "may be i'll get lucky and pick up a old $1000 skimmer for $200". lol-boy was i wrong

If I was selling my used vortech it would be because I need cash and first would offer it to a friend for $200. Last year,I picked up frags from a guy and offered $300 for a 3 year old vortech (granted he said only 1 year used -who knows) and he said "I want to sell the battery back up and 2 pumps together-sorry". I am happy he refused since these pumps are not suppose to last forever. controllable pumps on pulse will not last 10 years! I am not in this hobby for money (yet) and I've given corals that I was offered $100 to my friends/cousin just because this hobby is about helping each other.

I am just stating my views and my opinions. People should not over-charge because these people buying "used" products obviously can't afford the retail price and 50% is the most one should go. I am not bitter, I am a business man - this has become a business.

Last edited:
I think it's just hobbies in general. I am into computers, cars, and aquariums. All of these hobbies have a pretty active second hand market, and most stuff gets sold around 70% the price of retail. I think the ease of selling things online has created a much bigger market to sell to. This is naturally going to make selling prices higher.

I think the days of used items being 50% of retail came from having a very limited pool of locals to sell to. You would have to make an item a really great deal since there is perhaps only a few people in town that would even be looking for that particular item.

That being said, I do wish frag prices were less. People are charging full blown retail for frags even though they don't have any retail overhead.

Back