Which dims for a 300 square...

Why does it have to be a specific water volume?

Why not make it the right size considering its resting place? Just curious...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15055506#post15055506 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ian
Why does it have to be a specific water volume?

Why not make it the right size considering its resting place? Just curious...

Honestly I was originally considering 4'x4'x2'(240g) and messing around with the tank volume calc when I found all 3 of the dimensions above to be about 300g I started musing about which I would like best and why... then, of course, it went from there.

That said, I never expected this post to get more than a couple posts and for it to drop off the front page after the first day.

Now, of course, as threads tend to do, it's getting interesting.

The only thing I would think is that 4x4x2 is more of a 'standard' dimension making it better on the price but you may as well pay a little extra to get exactly what you want...

I like the 54x54x24. Although at 300 gal, the dimensions that invincible569's famous tank (now owned by agentSPS) had were very cool. That said, 5' or less is much easier to light IMO. I also might throw out that I'm kinda against the current trend on this, but for aesthetics I tend to like taller tanks, just don't like not being able to reach the bottom. Depending on your arm length you might consider if you can go 25 or 26" deep -- I went 26" deep on my tank and I think its perfect, I can reach the bottom to work (unlike on my old 30" tank), but there is a ton of vertical room for fish and coral growth.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15055981#post15055981 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mcliffy2
I also might throw out that I'm kinda against the current trend on this...

the rimless or the shallow trend?

Back