Light for a new 5' tank

Ron Reefman

I've just ordered a CadLight Artisan II 125g tank (5'x24"x20"). The old EverGrow/ReefBreeders Photon 32 fixtures I've used for 4 years aren't long enough for the new 5' tank. I'm leaning toward the ReefBreeders Photon V-2 in 48" length, but I'd like to consider others.

I would like more blue than white leds.
I wouldn't mind t5's added onto an led system.
It must have sunrise/sunset ability (just because I like it).
2 channel control is OK but more would be appreciated.
It has to look good as there will be no canopy this time.
Budget is flexible, but the Photon is only $650 and will cover the entire tank. I'm willing to spend more, but there has to be a rational reason to do so.

I have a 5ft tank and I actually have 2 photon 16s and a 80w 60in LIT t5 retro kit (they are in canopy though). It has worked great. I went with the smaller LEDs on each side because I wanted to keep a lower par zone in the middle of the tank. I pretty much have a mountain on each side with a low point in the middle where I put chalices and stuff. SPS on the upper peaks. has worked great. If you want 1 though I would go for the 48 reefbreeders. I am not sure about the V2s but to me the regular photons are a bit white, even with me having the whites low and blue high but its not terrible. Maybe V2 are different?

Ron,
From what I have read you are very happy with the performance of the present lights.
I would email Logan (thru the website) & see if he can set you up the way you would like.
Other wise you can look @ the Ocean Revive T-247, my friend swears by them & his growth is fantastic.

I have 4 Reef Breeder Super Lux units mounted front to back on my 180, they are around $200 a piece, you might be get away with 3 on a 5 ft tank

The only control you have is on/off and blue/white, no sunrise or sunset

Was undecided about going from MH to Led, but came across a 2 year old 180 gal sps tank yesterday lit by Orphek Atlantiks and it made me so jealous i ordered myself a unit today...
Color was better than ive ever seen, tank had two 24" fixtures and it was lit like it was T5... Uniform coverage, no shadows, poping colors and the fixture itself is also very nice looking

Ron,
From what I have read you are very happy with the performance of the present lights.
I would email Logan (thru the website) & see if he can set you up the way you would like.
Other wise you can look @ the Ocean Revive T-247, my friend swears by them & his growth is fantastic.

OceanRevive and ReefBreeders fixtures are made by EverGrow in China. That's who I got mine from originally about 4 years ago. That's why I'm considering the RB Photon V-2 50" (I just learned they sell a 50" fixture). And the RB fixtures are more blue then the EverGrow fixtures which I like as well. I have the OceanRevive T247 over my frag tank and I like it alot, but it doesn't have a controller, just on/off timers.

I looked at the OceanRevive and every light except the T-247 is out of stock and has been for a long time. I have been looking for a longer light and a competitor to the Reef Breeders V2.

OR sold EverGrow fixtures which were exactly the same as RB fixtures except that RB had EG do a custom led layout that has more blue in it. And even then, most reefers end up still running the blue channel stronger than the white channel. RB fixtures sell quite well and the EG fixtures sold by RB didn't sell nearly as well so they stopped carrying them and only sell their OR proprietary fixture now.

Why are you looking for a competitor to ReefBreeders? Look at EverGrow (the manufacturer in China) and ReefRadiance (I had serious customer service issues with them in the past).

Was undecided about going from MH to Led, but came across a 2 year old 180 gal sps tank yesterday lit by Orphek Atlantiks and it made me so jealous i ordered myself a unit today...
Color was better than ive ever seen, tank had two 24" fixtures and it was lit like it was T5... Uniform coverage, no shadows, poping colors and the fixture itself is also very nice looking

Thanks for the lead.

I looked at the Orphek Atlantik V3 and it only covers a 48" long tank (my tank is 59") and costs $1200. The older and smaller V2.1 covers 36", so 2 so 2 would work, but they cost $750 each or $1500 total. They are nice fixtures, but IMHO just not really any better for the coral than a $675 ReefBreeder Photon V-2 50" fixture. Yes the ability to control it is much easier, but at what cost?

Last edited:
So I'm not very well informed on other brands of led fixtures. The brands that come to mind are AI, Maxspect, EcoTech, any others... Any suggestions for coverage of a 5'x2'x20" tank with sps and lps corals? Please keep in mind the criteria I'm considering:

I would like more blue than white leds.
I wouldn't mind t5's added onto an led system.
It must have sunrise/sunset ability (just because I like it).
2 channel control is OK but more would be appreciated.
It has to look good as there will be no canopy this time.
Budget is flexible, but the Photon is only $650 and will cover the entire tank. I'm willing to spend more, but there has to be a rational reason to do so.

Anybody have any feedback on the Rapid LED Corona? It looks OK and the price is reasonable. I wonder if 2 will be enough for a 5' tank with mostly sps?

U know way more about LEDs than I do so I won't be able to help, but keep us updated what u decide to do. I have a 5' 150 gallon I've been thinking about getting the 50" photon v-2 for a couple months. They came out with it around a month after the other v2's came out.

What u end up deciding to do will go a long way with my choice because I respect your opinion, so please keep the thread updated.

Check out the SB reef lights. They have an awesome spectrum. And the guy can be reached through FB for any questions. And a two year warranty serviced here in the US. I have two 32" units over my 180 and I am very pleased so far. They make a ramping model which can give you that sunrise/sunset effect.

U know way more about LEDs than I do so I won't be able to help, but keep us updated what u decide to do. I have a 5' 150 gallon I've been thinking about getting the 50" photon v-2 for a couple months. They came out with it around a month after the other v2's came out.

What u end up deciding to do will go a long way with my choice because I respect your opinion, so please keep the thread updated.

Thanks for the support and having some faith in my judgement... as misplaced as that may be! :hammer: I will keep up this thread through the receiving and reviewing the light. You can also see more at my build thread.

I had a cheap dimmable solution for you up until 'it has to look good'.

Like you I want sunrise/sunset. Right now over my 6' 125 gallon tank I have two old D120 LED 18" fixtures, one 18" Facebook group buy fixture from the guy that sells SB reef lights and two T5s in a dimmable Miro retrofit fixture.
I add the T5s for sunrise/sunset. Once the T5s hit peak all of the LED fixtures turn on. It of course isn't a 100% smooth sunrise/sunset but it is close enough for me. I hated the Windex blue of running only the blue channels on the LEDs in the morning and night and the T5s fixed that. Being a retrofit kit it won't work without a canopy.

I've been following your thread to see what LEDs you choose and what the options are. I just upgrade tanks and while 3 16" units work going with two 30/32 inch fixtures might be better. With 3 fixtures there are 165 diodes and with two 30" fixtures it is 218 diodes. Also my two D120 units are running at 100% while the group buy light is run at around 75% blue, 60% white to match the D120s so it is more powerful. I could sell my three fixtures for two 30" fixtures, or just buy two more 'group buy' 16" fixtures.

I was considering the Photon 50-V2 (48" long, 88 5w LEDs) but Logan said two 32-V2s would be better over a 6' tank. That is $1150 which is over budget.

If I can figure a way to do a dimmable t5 off the front and back of the led fixture and have it look professional, I'll do it. But you are right, it's going to be eye height and out for everybody to see, so it has to look good. The rest of the system is going to be so clean and modern looking, very white and angular. I really appreciate the ideas though. Thanks.

Check out the SB reef lights. They have an awesome spectrum. And the guy can be reached through FB for any questions. And a two year warranty serviced here in the US. I have two 32" units over my 180 and I am very pleased so far. They make a ramping model which can give you that sunrise/sunset effect.

Don't take the following the wrong way. I appreciate your offer of a different solution. I really do. The following is just my reasons for sticking with the ReefBreeders Photon V-2 50"... so far. I haven't ordered it yet, but unless I hear of a better solution, I will on Monday or Tuesday.

The 30" SB is too short and 2 of the 16" would work perfectly. However, they are old school looking. Big blocky leds fixtures have been around for 5 years and some/many of the newer ones are MUCH better looking and mine will be on full display. Also, 2 16" fixtures would cost $480. The Photon 50 is only $120 more, is better looking, has better channel control with 6 instead of 3, has the same 2 year warranty and US based repairs. And SB states the use 55 leds at 3 watts and calls it a 165w fixture. Lots of others use the same number of leds and 3w, but most, or all, use less than 165w of power. Most drive the leds at 2.2w or even less like MarsAqua which is down at 1.9 watts. I didn't see in the SB website where they even state the power going into the system.

To all, I'm seriously thinking that the Photon V-2 50" is a very good quality fixture with a controller that is good although time consuming to adjust compared to others. But the $500 to over $1000 extra for a better controller just isn't worth it. Any other suggestions? Time is growing short. No Maxspect, AI or Kessil fans with a reasonable option?

Last edited:
I'll let you know when I get it set up. The fixture is going to ship on Wednesday (thanks Logan) and I hope to be up and running at least a starter system by the end of next week. One of the things I like about the Photon V2 is the 6 channels of control. So if red or green shadows are an issue, I can dial those leds down or even off. IMHO they don't do much for the corals or the reflected colors in the tank.

My old tank had a tall rock wall from 6" back of the front glass at the sand and up to almost the water surface at the back glass. I also hung the leds very far forward over the tank and tipped them back to reduce the shadows a bit. I can't say that the little bit of red and green shadow lines were an issue for me.

Back