Which Tridacna species has the lowest light requirement?

Fasciatus

...and would be the easiest to keep? Available juveniles from my supplier are derasa, maxima and squamosa.

The PC bulbs in my canopy are:

96w Actinic
96w 10,000K
96w 7,000K

If this isn't "enough", what specific different bulb combination or upgrade would be suitable? I don't have budget for any major changes, like metal halides or VHO, and my canopy probably wouldn't support it anyway. But I can add another PC bulb...

The Dereasa and Squamosa are the lest light requiring. I keep two Dereasa under 300 watts of PC in A 55 Gal tank. They are doing well but the growth is much slower than my higher light tanks with the same type clams.
What size Tank? this will help to see if you have enough. Most will say only MH will do, but I have learned that PC can do a fine job.JMO&JME

This guy is under PC it has grown 2.5" in 1.5 years.
overtopdc.JPG

clam lighting

clam lighting

i would go with the above formentioned opinion also! clams do well under power compact lighting too! i have a blue crocea on a piece of live rock towards the top of my tank near the pc lighting, he likes it there and is doing really good. i also have a huge derasa from tonga like 6,inches or more at the bottom of my tank on the substrate he loves it right where he's at! anyhow thats my input! good luck with your clams .:D

I would like to keep a lower light clam(dersa,squa,hippo) in my tank But have been advised not to as I was told that my lights are to weak.

I have a similar lighting stituation to the one above:
2 x 96 watt Actinic PC's
2 x 96 watt 10,000K PC's

Would it be safe to keep lower light clams under these lighting conditions or would I just be asking for trouble?

I have 2 squamosas and 1 derasa in a 55g with 4 110w VHOs. All are on the sandbed and growing nicely. There are some pics on my photosite.

George

PorscheGuy964 said:
I would like to keep a lower light clam(dersa,squa,hippo) in my tank But have been advised not to as I was told that my lights are to weak.

I have a similar lighting stituation to the one above:
2 x 96 watt Actinic PC's
2 x 96 watt 10,000K PC's

Would it be safe to keep lower light clams under these lighting conditions or would I just be asking for trouble?
What size Tank and how deep? The Hipopus clam is the least light loving clam of the three, He will do fine up to 24" deep under these lights. The Squa and Derease sould be okay, i keep derease under 300w of pc in a 20" deep tank on the sand, but growth is slower in this tank but clam is healthy.

Hippopous Hippopus will do fine And Squa or Derease should be fine as well I'm giving less light, with two derease clams they are growing and doing fine, but would have to say they are not setting any growth records. Some may disagree with me on this. But This is just my exp.

Back