Who has fully embraced the Ecotech ecosystem?

Cons: you can't control any ancillary equipment with it, such as a calcium reactor, or an auto top off. Particularly annoying to me, is not being able to turn off my skimmer automatically when i go into feed mode (like i could when everything was connected to my apex).

Reef Link is not a controller.
It's just a bridge ("link") between your equipment and the cloud for programming purposes.
It could never replace my GHL controller, especially if it continues to rely on connecting to the cloud.
My GHL (or apex) can still "control" the Vectra in the sense that it can turn it off for feed mode or maintenance.
Everything controlled by the reef link doesn't need to be "controlled".
It needs to be programmed, that's it. Once that's done, it runs on its own. Or you can use the device's physically controller to quickly turn it off or enter a different mode.

Ecotech may be working on a controller, but the reef link (as we know it) is not it. At least I hope not.

Dunno. It started flashing red and green. Took it apart. Entire impeller area is melted. Bought it Nov 10 2015.

I swear to God I'm done with Ecotech.

Dunno. It started flashing red and green. Took it apart. Entire impeller area is melted. Bought it Nov 10 2015.

I swear to God I'm done with Ecotech.

Is this the first Ecotech issue you've had? Did you buy it from a retailer or used in November 2015? If new, what did ecotech say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought it new from BRS in November.

They don't directly handle the warranty, so I have sent an email (as of almost midnight on Friday) to ecotech.

I've heard that their service is excellent, so we shall see.

The pump never ran dry.

The plastic at the bottom is essentially all melted away, and the sides are extremely rough and pitted. It literally looks like Freddy Krugers face in there lol.

I did manage to get it moving again last night (haven't checked yet this am)

All I've ever owned from Ecotech was some radions (which failed and killed half my tank when they wouldn't turn on again when the fans failed) and some mp40s, which were fine, and my 2 mp40 QD.

I had to order new fans for the radions.

Honestly, I'm really disappointed in the quality of the Vectra after having it apart and looking at the quality. It's all plastic, and feels flimsy.

Once I hear back from Ecotech, or once I get the plumbing adapter I need today, I'll post a photo.

Never heard of one doing that. Isn't it under warranty?

Sure it's under warranty. But my sps corals Aren't

I was going to be away this weekend. Thank the lord in heaven that I didn't go away. That would have been the end of my coral.

Hey D2,

So what exactly differentiates the ReefLink from a controller like the Apex? I can program my equipment and can manipulate modes and operation remotely - which is what i use my apex for. I can also turn the Ecotech devices on and off, it's just done through the device's software and the cloud, and not through an outlet that i can turn on and off. The main difference i can see, is that i cannot program an Ecotech device to respond independently to a change in operation odd a different Ecotech device. For instance (and arbitrarily), i cannot program my Vectra to change speed automatically when my vortech speed is adjusted manually.

Hey D2,

So what exactly differentiates the ReefLink from a controller like the Apex? I can program my equipment and can manipulate modes and operation remotely - which is what i use my apex for. I can also turn the Ecotech devices on and off, it's just done through the device's software and the cloud, and not through an outlet that i can turn on and off. The main difference i can see, is that i cannot program an Ecotech device to respond independently to a change in operation odd a different Ecotech device. For instance (and arbitrarily), i cannot program my Vectra to change speed automatically when my vortech speed is adjusted manually.

Well we may be getting a bit into semantics, but like I was saying before, the ReefLink itself... the white box with the blue light on it... is nothing more than a "link" between your Ecotech equipment and EcoSmartLive (Ecotech's cloud service). The ReefLink allows your equipment to talk to ESL. Your equipment can run/function in normal daily use without ReefLink. You can also sign into ESL on your browser, from anywhere in the world, and make changes to your programming. But those changes can't be sent to your equipment without ReefLink.

ESL would be the "controller". This is where the programming is done and it's ESL that is sending the commands to your equipment, indirectly through the ReefLink and your WiFi. Now, this may somewhat come down to personal opinion, but this is a bit limiting compared to an actual controller like Neptune or GHL, because these controllers are ALWAYS connected to your tank and it's equipment. If my WiFi goes down, my tank still functions as normal. For instance, if it's time for my doser to dose, it will do so, WiFi or not, because the main controller is still connected and sending commands. Heaters will still come and and off. Yes, your Vortechs would continue to function as normal without the WiFi connection. Any of your Ecosmart equipment would because their internal brain has already been programmed through ESL. But what about non-Ecotech equipment? I may be wrong, but it seems to me that if things were to continue as they are now, Ecotech would need to make a device to replace every device on your tank, all of which communicate with ESL. Doser, heater, etc.

What would make the ReefLink more of a functional controller would be if there were power bars available to plug the equipment into and then a link between those power bars to ReefLink. This way any old heater could be plugged into the power bars and then controlled via ESL. All programming would be done through ESL and sent to the power bars via ReefLink.

This just scares me though. I like that my GHL is a physical box, physically connected to all my equipment. I could lose internet all together and still have basic control over my tank.

This is an interesting discussion.
I'm the farthest thing from an engineer so maybe some others will chime in, but that's my 2 cents. :)

Pumps only get hot enough to melt plastic because of two reasons, they either run dry and melt because of no flow or they cavitate and the water can't move and effectively boils and melts the plastic.
You mention pitting, this is a common occurrence when a pump cavitates. Check for blockage in both the intake and outlets.

Sure it's under warranty. But my sps corals Aren't

I was going to be away this weekend. Thank the lord in heaven that I didn't go away. That would have been the end of my coral.

Ouch! No kidding!!! Glad you were home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have their MP10es and their battery backup. My pump has been running nonstop for over a year with no issues and the battery backup gives me a piece of mind when bad storms come through.

I really wanted their light but decided to go with Kessil a360we because of the shimmer and a tad bit cheaper.

I use ecotech for everything, also have apex but I use ecosmart live for the ecotech stuff. the reasons I went with ecotech... there stuff is high end, looks great and works properly. not to mention their support. I have always used german made equipment in the past because of the quality of their stuff (ehiem,tunze, etc). its nice to see an American company compete and imo, exceed the European equipment for a change. now if I could only find an American made skimmer to compete with my Tunze ... zsu

. its nice to see an American company compete and imo, exceed the European equipment for a change. now if I could only find an American made skimmer to compete with my Tunze ... zsu

Lifereef is American made and is the best skimmer I ever owned

Meh, call me a jaded consumer, but I'm of the opinion that all this crap is just everyone paying for brand premiums and customer service. Beyond those two things I'm convinced that "you get what you pay for" does not apply at all to the aquarium industry.

Meh, call me a jaded consumer, but I'm of the opinion that all this crap is just everyone paying for brand premiums and customer service. Beyond those two things I'm convinced that "you get what you pay for" does not apply at all to the aquarium industry.

Yup

I put on the blueline, and it uses an amp less than the Vectra.

I agree. Ecotech stuff is neat. By so is Tunze. And Seaswirl. And gyre.

I may look at selling my mp40s and going another way.

Oh, it still applies... to a point. I think there is a solid "upper middle ground" with the reef stuff.
Example 1: Powerheads. Ecotech has some great features but highest price, Jaebo are cheep chinese junk, Gyre ain't much better, but Tunze is as good as ecotech minus the motor difference and priced lower.

Example 2: Skimmers. Lots of cheap junk out there, lots of ridiculously priced euro options, and then there is LifeReef right in the middle. One of the easiest, most consistent and maintenance free skimmers you can get.

And this goes on for all other equipment. Lighting, reactors, tanks, etc.
It does apply, no doubt. Just be smart about it and don't buy into features and stuff you don't need/want.

I looked at the lifereef, looked real nice until I see the motor block, and the price . the tunze motors last forever and are quiet. tough to beat
Motor block?
LifeReef is awesome. You can buy it without a pump and use whatever pump you want. That's part of the beauty of it.

Back