Who leaves Mag floats in the tank?

Yep I have always left my mag floats in the tank, just put it in the back corner and let coralline grow on it.

I have to leave it in because it's my Starry Blenny's favorite perch. However, I do take it out now and then and soak it in vinegar.

I've got one of these:

AlgaeFree-TigerShark.jpg

I just leave it in the tank since it has a nice wood finish to the outside.

When I had a regular mag float I did take it out because it was ugly as sin lol. The regular mags weren't strong enough for the thick glass on my 180 so I went with the stronger magnets.

I leave mine in. The only time I take it out is when it floats away and attaches to the magnetic Tunze pump holder.

I do not leave it in. I had an expensive magnet cleaner at one point and left it in the tank 100% of the time. When I set up the new tank I went to put it in and a buddy noticed a crack in it. So i took a hammer to it and opened it up. Was full of rust. I looked for the pic but couldn't find it. I think it got deleted off image shack. All the sps coral died in that tank for no detectable reasons... Only thing to this day I think it could have been was something bad inside the magnet.

A friend of mine had left his Mag in his tropical tank. When he removed it it really stunk. Because of that, I have never left mine in the water.

The only time I've taken mine out of the tank in almost 3 years is when I moved. It's got star polyps growing on it now to cover up the ugly plastic.

Not only do I leave my mag float in my tank, I have glued a veggie clip to it. Makes positioning the seaweed very easy and mess free.

Rust won't hurt the tank at all. Anything else in the magnet could I'm sure, rust will not harm anything though.

GFO = Rust

I think it looks trashy, I spend all that time to make my tank look nice, don't want to see a stupid magnet hanging off it. Little things like that help the tank as a whole look better.

I also don't want crap growing on it... If you leave it in there, tubeworms etc will grow on the underside and I'm afraid they may scratch the glass. And lastly, there are numerous stories of them being less than watertight...

Oh, and for some reason, if you leave it in the tank, it's the only thing people notice when you show them the aquarium. Ignore the beautiful fish and corals, that magnet is AMAZING lol.

Back