Whole Foods to Sell Lionfish

When we dove in the Grand Caymans our captain and guides speared lion fish all week. At the end of the week we had lionfish fish and chips! I quite liked it but anything tastes good battered and fried.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

When we dove in the Grand Caymans our captain and guides speared lion fish all week. At the end of the week we had lionfish fish and chips! I quite liked it but anything tastes good battered and fried.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Mm that sounds amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had some down in Belize can't say if its good or not because it was served fried and, well everything is good fried.
Did see a ton of them while diving which was sad. Dive guides were nailing them left and right with Hawaiian slings.

Have seen them in Cozumel and Belize... and even captured some juveniles and killed them. The dive guides say they kill them all the time but we still saw a bunch of large adults on the dives. They are certainly here to stay so we might as well harvest them as heavily as possible if they are tasty. They can decimate a reef fish assemblage since there is really not much that has adapted to feeding on them... maybe Caribbean triggers will get smart one of these days?? :0)

And they are literally everywhere in the Caribbean and along the Atlantic coast... up into Long Island Sound. I have had them as pets in the past but now I get a little angry when I see them.

Snappers in grand cayman now follow divers around hoping for a free meal. They will even bird-dog lions, but won't take them until a diver stabs them.

Have seen them in Cozumel and Belize... and even captured some juveniles and killed them. The dive guides say they kill them all the time but we still saw a bunch of large adults on the dives. They are certainly here to stay so we might as well harvest them as heavily as possible if they are tasty. They can decimate a reef fish assemblage since there is really not much that has adapted to feeding on them... maybe Caribbean triggers will get smart one of these days?? :0)

And they are literally everywhere in the Caribbean and along the Atlantic coast... up into Long Island Sound. I have had them as pets in the past but now I get a little angry when I see them.

This is true and very sad. I was on a cruise 10 years ago and saw them in the Bahamas, also on a island that Royal Caribbean owned. Sad to see how much worse the problem has gotten

Yeah it's real bad. It's a shame because it's not the fishes fault. Humans put them there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have done well getting there numbers down in the keys, I Dive the reef almost every day and don't see any. They are still on the deeper reefs/wrecks but not thick in the shallows. BTW, to sell them in Florida you just need a spl.

We killed 10 big fat lionfish yesterday. One of the best tasting fish out there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 3
I love lionfish. I have a volitans and keep it in a 100g tank with a snowflake moray eel and a chocolate chip starfish. I would never dream of eating them; they are spectacular-looking fish and I feel bad seeing them being speared. Obviously I understand why they are being killed. I think if they weren't an invasive species a lot more people would be keeping them in their homes.

There's a restaurant in San Pedro, Belize that specializes in locally caught (grin) lion fish. They pay local kids to spear them for them, which is good for the kids, good for the ecology of their very stressed reef (the biggest outside the Great Barrier), and GREAT for eating! One of the best eating fish I've come across. I'd totally support Whole Foods and anyone else who helps rid the western hemisphere of this scourge. And a pox on the idiot aquarist(s) who released them in the first place.

Back