Why can't I keep anthias alive?

whatnot45

I have a very healthy reef tank. Sps and gorgonians are growing, snails are multiplying, I have a healthy blue tang and a healthy yellow tang, a healthy clownfish, 2 gobies, and a bicolor basslet, and flame scallop that's been alive and well for over 5 months. However I can't seem to keep anthias alive. I have gotten 2 so far and both have gotten ich and died :(. Is there a trick to keeping these?

What size tank? Which species of anthias? How often do you feed? What do you feed?

Some species are more difficult than others. Most need multiple feedings a day of small food.

What size tank? Which species of anthias? How often do you feed? What do you feed?

Some species are more difficult than others. Most need multiple feedings a day of small food.

+1, unless you're home a lot then you'll struggle to keep Anthias healthy without an auto feeder. Having said that, I have heard examples of people feeding them only a couple of times a day, these seem to be the minority though.

I have a very healthy reef tank. Sps and gorgonians are growing, snails are multiplying, I have a healthy blue tang and a healthy yellow tang, a healthy clownfish, 2 gobies, and a bicolor basslet, and flame scallop that's been alive and well for over 5 months. However I can't seem to keep anthias alive. I have gotten 2 so far and both have gotten ich and died :(. Is there a trick to keeping these?

1. get healthy specimens from a reputable source
2. quarantine them to get them eating without competition
3. feed them a varied diet
4. maintain high water quality

do these and most will be fine

quarantine them to get them eating without competition

This is really important IMO, I always quarantine Anthias for longer, not for disease but to get them eating pellets and eating them well. It's much easier to control water quality when trying to get Anthias to feed when in a QT.
Then when they go into the DT and the auto feeder drops pellets into the tank they're all over them like a rash!

They got ich in quarantine or in the display?

If they got it in the display, then I'm sorry to say all your fish are harboring ich.

Like others said, just make sure you feed at least twice a day.

We have Huchtii and Lyretails in our tank and they have been doing great! Pretty hardy fish IMO.

Why can't I keep anthias alive?

Is there a trick to keeping these? yes, get rid of ich!

Tank is 100 gallons, yeah I really only feel once per day and I skip days too sometimes I guess that's it then... I'll try an auto feeder if I get one again I just get really stressed about over feeding I don't want hair algae.

Ya with special fish come special feeding. I used to feed once a day but cant with the fish i like to keep. I feed about 3x a day. All different food sources each time. Make sure to cover everyone.

But here is what i think is happening with you cause i had the same issue with puffers. You are adding them to a tank that has territory already taken. These guys are getting bullied specially anthais cause they dont tolerate it well.

This will basically give them ich from the stress.

This will basically give them ich from the stress.
Not to be too picky, and maybe this is not what you meant, but stress alone will not give a fish ich. Sounds like the OP's tank has ich already. The new guys being picked on or being unable to compete for food may affect their immune systems, but I suspect that any new fish will have this issue. Frankly, if there was a turf war going on, the existing fish might also show spots. I don't know that there's any particular risk due to the fact that they're anthias.

I think a better way to put it would have been "This will basically make them more susceptible to ich due to the stress."

1. get healthy specimens from a reputable source
2. quarantine them to get them eating without competition
3. feed them a varied diet
4. maintain high water quality

do these and most will be fine

Pretty much, and add feed very often to that list.

Starting to have female Anthias getting picked off...

Pretty sure I lost one of our female Lyretails (Down to 1 male, 3 females)...

Also saw one of the female Huchtii Anthias was pretty much beat to death. (3 MALES, 2 (maybe 1) female).

I got an autofeeder and have no problem. I travel often. as long as he eats pellets this is the way to go

+1

Everything wet touching my tank gets the appropriate QT with Tank Transfer method to ensure the fish are completely parasite free.

Auto feeder 2x per day for over a year, my anthias is doing great. Just needs some females when I get around to it. They are a lot of work to get acclimated, eating and comfortable for the DT, don't rush it.

Back