Why is everyone getting rid of their Vortechs?

vortec

vortec

I got rid of my vortec because it was tempermental, always going in to fault mode. I went back to Tunze because they are bullet proof and my controller is rumored to be able to control them.

David

If you are talking about any Tunze, then yes. But Tunze as been making stream pumps for a number of years now, much longer than Vortechs have been around.... so there is naturally more stock in the market.

actually.....
I believe more Tunze's are for sale in that forum everyday.
Does it mean there's something wrong with them? No.

I see them for sale when the person has a dead silent tank ( herbie method) and they can't take the vortech spinning up. ( you can hear it on short pulse mode easily) Now most people don't run their vortechs for waves, most run them in reef crest or random lagoon mode for random flow throughout the tank. They are worth the money and wouldn't consider selling either of mine. Not one problem from either of them. There was a spurt where eco tech got a bad batch of spacers and many people had to have them replaced due to them letting go of the glass. This has now been fixed

If you are talking about any Tunze, then yes. But Tunze as been making stream pumps for a number of years now, much longer than Vortechs have been around.... so there is naturally more stock in the market.
so think about it for a minute.
more stock in the market = more stock for sale at any one point in time.
(I run a Tunze Stream. I got it in the used equipment forum here on RC. It's great.)

Any new product that gets marketed is likely to have some kinks that need to be worked out.
Tip: avoid purchasing any vehicle in it's first year of production.

you see tons of people selling their tunzes too. the simple fact of this hobby is that there is a large turnover. people break down tanks all the time, lose their jobs and can't afford to maintain their setup, etc. a 400 dollar powerhead is usually the first thing to go.

This is it right here! I love mine and wouldn't sell it unless I would be breaking down the setup. Which I hope will never happen.

I would agree. I see Icecap ballast FS a lot too. Great ballasts. I think the reason has a lot to do with posting the name of the most sellable item in your list to get attention. There are definitely people who have switched back and forth with tunze, but I would bet most are either breaking down their tank, using it to pay for some other new gizmo, or bought a new one when theirs went to the shop knowing that they would sell the replacement one. Unlike an old heater, they are worth the trouble to sell.

I agree there seems to be an inordinate amount for sale. I agree that there are lots of other powerheads for sale too, but you wouldn't think the top of the line powerhead would be so available. Many people have spare PH's they don't use, but you don't drop $400 or more for vortechs just to have them as spare. There is a huge tendancy for people to support products they have spent a ton of money for, even if they are flawed. But for me, I'm tired of poor quality on many products in our hobby. No way I'm dropping that kind of cash, no matter how good they are, until I am convinced that all the bugs are worked out. If there is one lesson I've learned in this hobby - that is it. For now, the amount of problems and used vortechs for sale is enough to scare me off.

I used to think vortech owners were crazy for buying such and expensive water mover. The I got one... I will never buy another powerhead again. All vortech from now on.

You couldn't pry mine from my cold dead hands.

Uhhh...dude...you're supposed to put them in the tank so they can move water.

I love mine. I have two on my 125. That being said, I would probably have been just as happy with Tunze but I like the clean look. I think another reason that a lot of people have them and then sell them is that reefers are always doing different things in their tanks. Buy something, love it, but when the wow factor wears off pull it out and put something else in there. Yeah, you can generally find some on the forum but if you look around there's lots of other high end gear for sell in there too.

BTW...if anybody absolutely has to get these bulky, ugly, eyesores out of their tanks I'll take one for the team and take them off your hands.

Mike

I don't understand the willing consumer who would pay 400.00 for a powerhead that doesn't articulate. It took weeks for me to finally adjust my Tunze's flow to satisfy my tanks setup. I think the Vortechs uni-directional mounting severly limits adjustments you can make to flow. None of my Streams are set at a straight angle.

I don't understand the willing consumer who would pay 400.00 for a powerhead that doesn't articulate. It took weeks for me to finally adjust my Tunze's flow to satisfy my tanks setup. I think the Vortechs uni-directional mounting severly limits adjustments you can make to flow. None of my Streams are set at a straight angle.

If you haven't used one before you wouldn't know that by placing one of these on the side panel of your standard 75 gallon you will have plenty flow all over. The flow stream is very broad.

Bulky eyesores, electric cord in tank, and in needed heat in the tank prevent me from running anything else.

i will say that they have a lot of flow. (just by viewing them in another persons tank) i will also say that the different variables and unlimited possibilities are nice, but there is the one major flaw, and that is move ability. they cant swivel, but then again, there is a give take with just about anything.

i have 2 mp40w and i love them, i like the clean look, no cord, i can hide them behind rocks, theay are easy to clean, great customer support, no heat is transmited to the tank, have great flow settings (reefcrest, wave, pulse, etc), they can be upgraded, they can comunicate (wireless) with each other to create random flow, i really cant grasp why people are selling them, OHH maybe to pay rent or bills, because they are expensive and if their tanks are shut down this powerheads are the first to go, IMO

sana

i don't think people are getting rid of their vortechs - just like i don't think people are getting rid of their tunzes.

Both are solid products that hold up well in the used market.

On the tunzes - keep in mind we are literally within a year of tunze releasing the new streams so there is a LOT of the old streams out there being passed around at price points people previously could not have gotten them at. Plus the "gotta have the new stuff" folks who will dump the older models (perfectly fine) for the latest.

I've been running a used tunze 6060 for 5 years.

The economy certainly plays a part in those exiting the hobby altogether though.

I recently sold my mp20. It's a nice pump but I didn't notice any better growth with it verses running koralia pumps. I would be very worried to own one once the warranty runs out.

Back