Why is everyone getting rid of their Vortechs?

Vortech's are very powerful, I think many people purchase two or three and and need to sell one off. I love mine...bought it new in box from someone that bough 4 and only needed 2!

:) They're also in a particular class which there are not many other competitors. For high end controllable aquarium pumps you have Vortech and you have Tunze, there aren't really any other players. Both of which hold their value pretty well and retail for a high enough price that it makes it worth it to try and resell them.

I love the Vortech but need to find a supplier of the simple two wear parts so I don't have to buy the $75.00 wet side assembly.

I've had mine for just over a year and love mine. I want another so that I can take full advantage of the settings.

Just bought another one :)

I also use tunzes. They aren't mutually exclusive, folks :D

Last edited:
I'm planning on getting one sometime soon. Christmas present for myself... along with frags... :) They seem to be the real deal

what a rip off Vortech makes an overpriced pump that is not very versatile and is a noisy piece of garbage :thumbdown

Wow, bold statement.
did you have one, or are you speaking of second had knowledge?
(just curious, because i dont and have not owned one)

I considering restarting my 90g tank and have been out of the hobby for ten years now. I'm still contemplating getting Tunzes over Vortechs and wanted to know whether it was worth the extra expense. Noise is certainly a concern of mine.

I considering restarting my 90g tank and have been out of the hobby for ten years now. I'm still contemplating getting Tunzes over Vortechs and wanted to know whether it was worth the extra expense. Noise is certainly a concern of mine.

If noise is a concern, go with the Tunzes. While I don't consider vortechs noisey, they do have a hum to them that is audible because unlike other pumps, they can't disipate sounds into the water.

Why is everyone getting rid of their Vortechs?
i see them on the for-sell forum all the time, but everyone that talks in the equipment forum, claim that they love them and would never get rid of them?

(I personally cant afford them, but just wondering)

thanks

any insite would be appreciated.
thanks again

two words

Buyer's Remorse

Umm... I think you just agreed with me, so OK.

so think about it for a minute.
more stock in the market = more stock for sale at any one point in time.
(I run a Tunze Stream. I got it in the used equipment forum here on RC. It's great.)

Any new product that gets marketed is likely to have some kinks that need to be worked out.
Tip: avoid purchasing any vehicle in it's first year of production.

I love mine, I even had a few minor issue's due to a snail. And Vortech couldn't have been more helpful. Or faster at provding the help.

i sold my MP40W......and got a MP10 cuz i downsized tanks. love em.
end of the day, the hobby is very expensive in nature. often you end up buying something on the cheap, and then having to replace it a year or two later, if not sooner.
i started with a Seio 2600 <$150.00>, then on to a few Koralia 4's <$225>, then finally getting a vortech MP40 new for $365 shipped. granted i did recoup some money selling off the initial pumps, would have made better sense if i just popped for the vortech in the beginning.

c

I think that when the economy goes south and people are in a pinch for money powerheads are expendable. Not only that but there is a market for them so finding a buyer quickly isn't an issue. Skimmers are also expendable and there are a lot of postings for skimmers sales in the used goods forum too. In tough times, a tank can get by with maxijets or koralias and no skimmer...thus all the high price equipment sales.

With that said, I have owned both Tunze and Vortech. They are great pumps but I'm partial to Vortech because of it's low profile. I had an mp40, was on pre-order list for mp10 and am currently looking for one more Vortech to finish off my equipment purchases for my cube.

Some people in this thread are speaking negatively about Vortechs from hearsay but these pumps do fall into the category of you having to try it to know what all the fuss is about.

I got rid of my vortec because it was tempermental, always going in to fault mode. I went back to Tunze because they are bullet proof and my controller is rumored to be able to control them.

David

Mine have never been pempermental - been running a pair for over a year... Install them according to the directions with proper spacing for the glass thickness - a piece of cake...

JME

LL

i love my vortech. my tunzes are great too. like other people have said , you can sell your vortech and still get a good buck for them. i wish i could get the same % return on my car.LOL vortechs are great.

Back