Why is everyone getting rid of their Vortechs?

for some, just like any gadget, the novelty wears off after a few weeks.

I know there were a lot of group buys on the vortechs and they were for $350 shipped, that's why the price is low $300s for used ones.

I agree there seems to be an inordinate amount for sale. I agree that there are lots of other powerheads for sale too, but you wouldn't think the top of the line powerhead would be so available. Many people have spare PH's they don't use, but you don't drop $400 or more for vortechs just to have them as spare. There is a huge tendancy for people to support products they have spent a ton of money for, even if they are flawed. But for me, I'm tired of poor quality on many products in our hobby. No way I'm dropping that kind of cash, no matter how good they are, until I am convinced that all the bugs are worked out. If there is one lesson I've learned in this hobby - that is it. For now, the amount of problems and used vortechs for sale is enough to scare me off.

Let's go with your thought about it being too much money up front. Here's the perfect opportunity to buy a couple at a lower price to find out for yourself how nice they are.

I'm pretty well known for buying backups of everything for my reef, so that if something goes down, I can get it back up as quickly as possible. Perhaps I should peruse the For Sale forum to pick up a few bargains. :D

I've been using them on my tank since they came out, and really love them. My 280g reef has 4 currently. Three MP40s and one MP20 on the back. I have no reason to want to sell them or change them out.

Another person asserted that they'd be just as happy with a Korallia. I disagree, #1) because I don't want to see that in my tank, and #2) I don't want leaking electricity from that pump in the water (which happened with the one I purchased when they came to our area's LFSs). I know they cost less, but it also seems like they don't last nearly as long. Quite a few people I know seem to get about a year out of them, maybe a little longer. Tunzes last and last, Maxijets last and last, and my Vortechs have held up very well. I had to replace a power supply to one, and sent in my MP20 for repair (it was a beta model), but that's it.

A friend bought two and one when bad. I can afford the Vortech but I will not pay 400.00for pump too. I think it over price.

I bought the LED light because it will help me save money and energy saving.... Every buying the Reefkeeper Eilte will be LOT more better inverstment.

I was out of the hobby for about 8 years. When I got back in and seen the $400 powerheads I fell over. I have 2 now and lovvvvve them. It's like having kids. You can't explain it to someone who doesn't have kids. You won't get it until you get some.

I don't doubt that they are good products, but It's just hard to believe that they make your tank $300 better. Not saying I wouldn't buy one, but it is a big chunk o' change for a pump. But in the end when has this hobby been about saving money? LOL

Love my Ecotech.I have had a Ecotech directly from IceCap when Andy worked for them,& sold them to my LFS in Hamilton NJ.Ive seen almost all the good n bad about a Ecotech VorTech,& can firmly state that they have BY FAR the best pumps on the market.BUT thats JMO.

I don't doubt that they are good products, but It's just hard to believe that they make your tank $300 better. Not saying I wouldn't buy one, but it is a big chunk o' change for a pump. But in the end when has this hobby been about saving money? LOL

3000 words. :D

fts_100709.jpg

fts_angle.jpg

eot_1011.jpg

I've got 4 in my tank..Are they over priced,yes..but are they worth it,yes..I had 8 k4 in my tank before my 40s and the difference is like night and day..people sell them for many reasons,I was recently thinking about going to a 90gl cube,and if I did there'd be no reason to keep 4 of them and so I'd sell 2 of them..But I dont think people are selling them because they don't like them..I have yet to hear someone say I hate my mp40.

I thought about selling my vortechs at one stage.

Mainly because of all the problems I read about in other threads. thought Id sell before I experience them.

So far I ahve not experienced any of the said problems and I have 8 on my tank.

They were purchased 11 months ago and have been in use for 5months so far. I do take them out monthly and give them a good clean, but thats about it. I clean the glas area where they are placed also.

I dont mind the noise, mine seem quiet, but I geuss we have different tolerances to noise and different expectations.

If they continue to perform in the long run as they do now, then I would say this is one of the best investments i have made.

I had similar concerns when I purchased a Bubble King Skimmer. wether it would last.

Does the investment mean healthier livestock? I dont know but Im happy with them and the job they perform. Is it 10 times better then a $40 powerhead? Well its hard to quantify but im extremely happy.

wish people in Australia were selling theres, im after a couple extra.

Cheers,
FP:beer:

I love mine, wouldn't trade it for anything. I had some initial problems with the wet side but CS took care of the problem quickly no problems since. Water movement is 2nd to none and with the wide flow you can set corals close, but the water movement across a 4 foot tank is unbeliveable and the undertow keeps the sand bed clean.

Wreck M Tech

I guess it is a matter of opinion...myself....I wouldn't waste the money on a Vortech...it can't even be angled...it is straight or nothing. I would rather save the money and be able to angle the Korellia's where ever I want.

I guess it is a matter of opinion...myself....I wouldn't waste the money on a Vortech...it can't even be angled...it is straight or nothing. I would rather save the money and be able to angle the Korellia's where ever I want.

Vortech's don't need to be angled. Once you use one or see it in action you will understand. I have had 3 Korillias and none have lasted more than 18 months. I have had my Vortechs for 2 years and they have been great.

Another person asserted that they'd be just as happy with a Korallia. I disagree, #1) because I don't want to see that in my tank, and #2) I don't want leaking electricity from that pump in the water (which happened with the one I purchased when they came to our area's LFSs).

+1 on everything.

I would rather keep my display as clean as possible. In addition to leaking electricity, I don't want it adding heat to the tank. It's interesting that people knock the vortechs because they WANT to direct their flow only until they realize that with this powerhead, you don't NEED to do it.

I am not knocking them....so to speak....I just can't justify the additional cost. I would trade for one but not come out of pocket for it.

IMO, I think there was a big sale on them somewhere and people bought them up. ;)

There has been a few selling out of stores, we try to put a stop to that if we are alerted to it.

btw

btw

your aquarium is lookin' great, Marc.

JMO but I've seen people with "Kenya Tree Aquariums" running Vortechs.
This is a little crazy IMO. But for serious reefkeepers growing high energy zone stony corals (etc.) Vortechs (and similar flow devices) make sense and they're well worth the expense.

Back