Why should we keep fish in breeding condition

The only thing I know about Viet Nam is some small clearings in the jungle on the Cambodian border and 2 or 3 words that I can't say here.

You put forward that breeding fish don't get sick. I told you that is utterly not true in aquaculture where "breeding fish" is what they do. You're response? I do use that stuff. Thanks for actually responding with a factual rebuttal with useful information.

You know less about this subject then you do Vietnam.

BTW two words for you:

Parasite. .

Drivel. Drivel means nonsense. Dribble is what you do when you get old and cannot pee much anymore.

Some reading, oh wait, you don't believe science of others.

http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/blue_planet/problems/aquaculture/parasites_disease/

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/issues/aquaculture_pollution.aspx

http://darc.cms.udel.edu/AquaPrimer/fhealthintro.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1778836

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304401705003572

Like other farming systems, aquaculture is plagued with disease problems resulting from its intensification and commercialization

http://www.fao.org/fishery/topic/13545/en

quaculture is the fastest growing food production sector in the world and provides a significant supplement to, and substitute for, wild fish and plants. However, disease has become a primary constraint to aquaculture growth and is now responsible for the severe impact on both the economic and socio-economic development in many countries of the world. Addressing health questions with both pro-active and reactive programmes has therefore become an urgent requirement for sustaining the growth of aquatic animal food production.

A multitude of factors has contributed to the health problems currently faced by aquaculture. Over the past three decades, aquaculture has expanded, intensified, and diversified, based heavily on movements of animals and animal products such as broodstock, seed, and feed. Such movements are now clearly recognized as having played a pivotal role in the introduction and spread of pathogens and disease into aquaculture systems

:fish1: I'm sorry Bill, I meant the live foods on a reef, as far as I know Brine shrimp and feeder gold fish are not usually found on the reef. I see you live in Miami, I live in the Falls area in South Dade. :fish1:

:fish1: Hi GreshamH, the only seafood I eat is what I catch or is wild caught. I will never eat the farm raised fish because of the use of growth hormones and antibiotics just like with cattle and other animals that are feed these products. What in your opinion can be done to alleviate this problem is farm raised animals? :fish1:

Live and fresh does not automatically equal nutritious. Adult live brine shrimp are a prime example, feeder goldfish another.

This is true, brine shrimp and goldfish are not the best foods, but new born brine shrimp are excellent for small fish as they are mostly yock sack or fat.
See Bill, we agree on some things.

You're response? I do use that stuff. Thanks for actually responding with a factual rebuttal with useful information.
You can quote anything I say, but you should quote me correctly, I said:
I'm sure you are right, and I don't use any of that stuff.

Gresham, thank you for those informative articles on aquacultured fish diseases. I am sure you realize that almost all aquacultured fish for food as in 3 of those articles are food fish and they are all fed pellets. We have a trout farm here and I go there often and throw pellets to the fish which are living in crowded conditions. I am sure disease is rampant. I am not sure what that has to do with feeding live foods to ornamental tropical fish but I am sure there is something in there someplace.
You have been criticizing me through this thread so I would assume you have a different and better method of keeping fish healthy besides linking articles on diseases of commercial fish farms that live in crowded conditions. I would like to learn about your method.
I have been posting pictures of my fish spawns for as long as the internet has been around and in regular magazines for years before that. As you are aware, I am not the best or smartest aquarist here as I have pointed out numerous times.
I am sure you are better at this than I am so I do want to learn the secret.
It is also true that my oldest fish is only 20 and has never been sick but maybe you have older, healthier fish. I said in the first paragraph that these are only my opinions.
My opinions could be 100% wrong. I just don't know, but I am waiting for your opinions. :beer:

I will never eat the farm raised fish because of the use of growth hormones and antibiotics just like with cattle and other animals that are feed these products

This is true as I also eat fish almost every day as my family was in the sea food business. I also only eat wild caught fish

Drivel. Drivel means nonsense. Dribble is what you do when you get old and cannot pee much anymore.

Sorry, I didn't go to college and my vocabulary is lacking. I was fighting a war when many people went to college. And it is true I am old, I am also a Veteran and I have a very old, healthy fish tank. But still old. And bald

Last edited:
:fish1: I'm sorry Bill, I meant the live foods on a reef, as far as I know Brine shrimp and feeder gold fish are not usually found on the reef. I see you live in Miami, I live in the Falls area in South Dade. :fish1:

Paul's magic black worms aren't found on the reef either ;) The commercially available ones are raised in the effluent of trout farms, eating the fecal matter of the trout that are fed pellets. On the other hand, get some nice marine based polychaete worms and you'll have an excellent natural food source with the right HUFA's, unlike fresh water based food sources.

As for Miami, I'm up in North Miami :)

Hello again Bill. You are of course correct that polychaete worms are a great food source and I do sometimes feed them. As you know we can get nice saltwater sand and bloodworms from bait shops. They are large, almost a foot long and not easy to feed to smaller fish but we can get small ones.
Tubifex worms are grown in trout farms but California blackworms, which are different are commercially grown in ponds of clean, running water. I never use tubifex worms.
Your up in North Miami now. Are you as far north as the Hamptons? I am going out there this week to collect some water, maybe some nice worms.Oh I see, now you are in Dade County. I used to have land in Cocoa Beach, but I sold it 35 years ago.
I will be going to Key Largo in a few weeks as I have a good friend there. You are missing this nice 30 degree weather.

Here is an excerpt of that link:
Our current Blackworm Farm and shipping facility is the end result of raising and shipping California Blackworms since apx 1980. As you can see, our Blackworms are not raised in ditches, trout hatcheries, or dairy ponds. Our water source is clean well water. We do not reuse any of our water. We always have fresh filtered water running through our ponds.

Our California Blackworms ( THEY ARE NOT TUBIFEX) are farm raised in the best of conditions. They are not harvested from ditches, duck ponds, factory run offs, or hatchery ponds. At various times of the year different types of worms and flat worms might appear mixed with your Blackworms. These are not harmful to your fish.

Contrary to what is being told and advertised out there, All Blackworms are Farmed ONLY in California

http://www.aquaticfoods.com/BlackwormFarmM.html

Last edited:
Back