Why so many Problems?

Personally, I hate the "critique my...." threads way more than the problem threads. I realize people need assurances, and the self-doubters will always second guess themselves. But really? How do I or we know what is going to work well for each reefer. Sure, your sump looks like it will hold your equipment. Yes, the baffles spaced at 5/8" take more room than baffles spaced at 1/2". Blue, blue, white, blue might work better than blue, white, blue, blue.
Apparantly I didn't get the right handbook. I rely on my comon sense, advice (or tested practices) of people that have been in the hobby a long time, and my own observations to come to the conclusions which makes my tank different from everyone elses. I probably wouldn't bother with this hobby if there were a distinct set of guidelines- never was too good at the text book classes in school. But I did learn how to do researc, so if I do ever have a "problem", I look up some possible causes, ask advice from people I trust, and hope for the best. I still can't believe someone can relinquish all reponsibility and blame another for their own ignorance- yes Paul, I heard about the bleach incident. There should never be a book "Coral for Dummies". Just one named "Dummies need not apply".

What makes reef central great is the sum of everyone. People like me take in everything that everyone says and form there own opinion based on others posted experiences and their own. Walk down your street and ask your neighbors who has a personal ocean in there living room....where else can you connect with 4000 + Reefers....keep it real!!

For people like me who are new to the hobby, the tank, equipment, and livestock represent a substantial financial investment. When you see thread after thread about the dreaded algae, then see some in your own tank, even if your fish seem fine and your corals seem fine, you have the impression that if you don't attack that algae and quick, some horrid thing will happen and all that money is right down the drain with the next water change.

It takes a while to appreciate the difference between minor, cosmetic annoyance and serious problem. That's my take anyway on the issue of so many "problems."

I look forward to your posts so I can have algae in my tank and not tear it all apart trying to get rid of it.

When you see thread after thread about the dreaded algae, then see some in your own tank, even if your fish seem fine and your corals seem fine, you have the impression that if you don't attack that algae and quick, some horrid thing will happen and all that money is right down the drain with the next water change.

Algae is one of the things that takes up so much time on these forums and it is not a disease and can't be cured.
All healthy reefs grow algae and if they don't, something is wrong.
I know Noobs go nuts over the stuff but it is because the myth is constantly perpetuated that it is somehow bad and unhealthy.
We don't want to see it on everything, but even if algae is covering everything in the tank, the "fish" will love it and be fine. The corals will not be affected unless they are covered and shaded from light so we want it but we want it growing in a refugium or someplace that will not smother the corals.
I feel that having algae someplace in the system is much better than doing water changes. Of course I am in the vast minority. :cool:

There is algae in my tank now and I wish there were more. I run a trough that grows algae and now there is practically no algae in the thing and my nitrates are 40. Yes 40. So there goes all the threads that say the best way to eliminate algae is to change water to lower nitrates.
I post many pictures of my reef, how much algae do you see?
The animals are healthy and growing rather fast.
Don't get nuts over this stuff, I do admit there is so much we don't know but we really need to stop making up stuff to fit what is happening in our tanks.
Water changes every week or so are not needed, algae is not bad nor is a little cyano and is in no way a harbinger of a tank crash. If it were, my tank would have crashed 35 years ago.
We don't want our fish swimming in a sewer and we do need to change water but water changes will not cure ich or prevent it. It will also not eliminate algae. That stuff comes in cycles and sometimes even with no reading of nitrate you can have algae growing up the walls.

Problems are really challenges that make you stronger and wiser in the end. Knowledge and persistence to obtain that wisdom trumps all.

I feel that having algae someplace in the system is much better than doing water changes. Of course I am in the vast minority. :cool:

There is algae in my tank now and I wish there were more.

I agree that people see these algae outbreaks and freak out. I know I did at first. But when I got my second tank running, I had massive hair algae and cyano. I didnt freak, I just knew the tank needed a little attention.

I still have some hair algae in my tank but dont care. Its not overtaking the tank and isnt hurting anything. Plus my starry nibbles on it so gives him something to munch on so I just let it be.

I see alot of threads where its seems people want to completely eradicate any algae and I think that is just a bit much. Algae is going to grow...not much you can do about it other than keep it under control.

This I think was from the Cayman Islands, you don't see algae because at night this place is covered in urchins and in the day there are huge schools of large tangs scraping every milimeter of the reef. In the cracks you will see slugs and at the edge of tide pools there are hoards of Sally Lightfoot crabs munching on the algae that grows just at the water's edge. If there were no algae growing, why are so many vegetarian animals living there?
The vast majority of creatures on a reef are vegetarians, I wonder why?
For you people that dive at night, I know you have seen these urchins on everything, they aint eating McDonalds.

Cayman.jpg

Bora Bora

LongNose.jpg

I'm still kind of new at this, so I only post if I know it has worked for me (first FW tank about 1967, first SW 1988). I also try to remind folks that just because it worked for me DOES NOT mean it will work for you. The only time I come close to panic is when there is water on the floor that I didn't spill. Otherwise, whatever "EMERGENCY" there is is best handled calmly and with THOUGHT before action.

I, too, have tired of being flamed for stating what I know has worked for me, so I try to avoid those threads as well.

Another great post Paul!!!

Tank, no problem, posting problem

Tank, no problem, posting problem

I use to be able to post new threads and now I can't. I emailed RC twice, but did not get a reply. Does anyone know if something has changed?

I don't know if anything changed. It works for me.

I, too, have tired of being flamed for stating what I know has worked for me, so I try to avoid those threads as well.
I generally don't get flamed, I guess people know that I don't care..
There are many types of threads I no longer participate in any more and the list is growing.
This hobby was so easy when I was the only one in it. My ideas were followed because I was the only one with a salt water tank and there was no one to disagree with me, even if I was dead wrong. :D
Now someone invented the internet and that was a mistake. There is so much information now and most of it is wrong, or even if it is right, most people will disagree with it and make you think it is wrong. So is it right or wrong? No one knows, and if they think they do, they are wrong. :worried:

Last edited:
I don't know if anything changed. It works for me.

I generally don't get flamed, I guess people know that I don't care..
There are many types of threads I no longer participate in any more and the list is growing.
This hobby was so easy when I was the only one in it. My ideas were followed because I was the only one with a salt water tank and there was no one to disagree with me, even if I was dead wrong. :D
Now someone invented the internet and that was a mistake. There is so much information now and most of it is wrong, or even if it is right, most people will disagree with it and make you think it is wrong. So is it right or wrong? No one knows, and if they think they do, they are wrong. :worried:

i agree with you. people need to understand that there are so many ways to solve a problem that occurs. just because they do it a different way as long as it works why is it such a bad way of doing it.

By the way, we went to the hospital in Manhattan at 2:30 this morning and my Daughter had her first baby at about 3:00pm. This is Gretta's Birthday, she is my first Grandchild.
Here she is about an hour old.
GrettasBirthday002.jpg

GrettasBirthday009.jpg

Last edited:
The only problem i have is when a fish gets sick :S i do love my fish so its a problem for me haha! I also enjoy reading about problems because i tend to learn alot so problems are very educating. Also thanks paul for giving me the idea to feed my fish live black worms. Its a great food and inexpensive that most people dont use.

That is a beautiful granddaughter Paul, congratulations. Hopefully you can turn this one into a reefer. I know my little ones love the bright colors.

Congratulations, Paul and the entire B. family!! Happy birthday and welcome to the world, Gretta!!!

congratulations hope everyone is well. Thanks for the great post it was very entertaining and I picked up a few tidbits to mull over

Hopefully you can turn this one into a reefer
In the picture of me holding her she is crying because she doesn't yet have a reef tank. They wouldn't let me bring one in the hospital.

Back