Wide Angle Lens, Second Radion, or New Fixture?

mjohns27

Just bought a new 120 with a bit different dimensions, 40"x30"x24". I currently have a radion gen 3 over my tank, and not sure if I should buy a second radion for the 40" tank, or if one radion wide angle lens hung at like 1'+ above the tank is enough. It says normal spread at 9" with this lens is 36"x36". Is two radions for a 40" overkill?
I've also been thinking about converting a 40 breeder into a frag tank. If I do this, I could always move my radion to this tank and get a completely different fixture for the 40" tank, looking to stick with LEDs. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

The whole 'wide angle lens' thing is a bit of a misconception. Yes, it increase the spread of the light, but it cannot change the fact that the light is essentially a point source. It will work when the tank is young, but as the corals grow shading becomes problem. either a reflector is needed or a second point source.

Thanks for the reply @ca1ore. I am looking at buying two gen 3 xr30s to add to the one I already have. I will have two over the 40x30" tank, and one over the 40 breeder frag tank. Will two be too much over the display tank?
Thanks!

Because of the 30" fore to aft depth of the tank, you should orient the XR30s perpendicularly to the tank, with the puck of each fixture running from front to back. If using two fixtures, raise them high to get adequate coverage. Because of the almost cubeish dimensions of your tank, I think all three fixtures oriented perpendicularly would be ideal.

Back