would love to add...but...

oneradtek202

Pitcher Hill Reef Society
i would love to add my 2 barred rabbitfish from my frag tank to my display tank, however it is perfectly content in the frag tank but i think it would be nicer to see the fish more often upstairs in the DT. however i have an established purple tang up there and fear there will be a epic battle since my rabbitfish is pretty big. idk if i wanna stir the pot with this one, but it would be nice to have another beauty upstairs./...what you all think?

here is some side info, cannot rearrange DT due to all my sps encrsuted. had a foxface before and it died from harassment by the purple tang...

DT: purple tang, melanurus wrasse(large), 2 ocellaris, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, flame hawk, 3 Bartlett anthias

frag: 2 stripe, scopas tang

nuthin. That doesn't help us.

I was thinking that if you could add another fish at the same time as the Rabbit it would divide the PT's aggression between two newcomers.

In any case, that's the strategy I'd try and use.

The Foxface that your PT killed... was it a large one?

yea it was smaller ... idk if i have enough room for 2 more big fish in my tank i have a lot of crap (aka coral) in the way taking up a lot of swimming room. but maybe i could add the scopas and the 2 barred?

it would be a bold move i think

Last edited:
if you added the scopas and rabbit

if you added the scopas and rabbit

a second Zebrasoma would take a lot more abuse than the Rabbit

I have a large 8yr purple tang in 90 g. It bothers any new fish for a day or so but not to the point of tracking it to death. It and my pyramid butterfly still pose at each other once in a while even after about 5 yrs .

My two bar is in another tank but I don't think the purple would be fatal to it or vice versa. I do think the scopas and purple would be a real problem. My scopas is in another tank with a foxface without issues. Two zebrasoma are really not a good match,most of the time.

it's a crapshoot

it's a crapshoot

my Powder Blue pestered 3 Pyramid Butterflyfish to death but never bats an eyelash at my Copperband. My Powder Blue DOES pester my Klein's Butterfly but that one knows how to defend itself.

Rabbitfish in general are kind of slow, fat and clunky but mine knows how to fend off my Powder Blues aggressions.

With this Purple being discussed I'd be hesitant to bring in one large Rabbitfish. It might work but odds will be better if the purple's aggressions are divided between two newcomers.

Back