Your opinion on pump sizing

salmon alley

Premium Member
Hi Roger,
I know you answer many questions regarding which size pump is the best for a particular application. I'll apologize ahead of time, because I'm sure it becomes tedious, but I hope you could give me some advice as well.

I'm upgrading to a standard 180g (6x2x2), and trying to decide on how to best achieve water flow. I've already got two of the 1" seaswirls which I'll be using to help with some random flow patterns and will be running these pretty much full throttle (around 1000gph).
I'd like to add one or two Tunze turbelle powerheads to this arrangement. I plan on keeping primarily SPS corals, but also some clams, and a few things which would probably appreciate slightly less current.
Would you suggest a single 6110 (setup with controller), or dual 6000 PH (eventually with the multi-controller)?

Thanks!
SA

In all honesty- either could work. You have a respectable amount of flow from the Sea Swirls. The most gentle and even flow would be accomplished by the pair of 6000 pumps. Because you are using the SeaSwirls I am not so concerned with having unidirectional flow from just one pump- the main concern would be that a 6110 would give you a certain layout- SPS on one end- near the pump- and everything else on the other. The 6000 is far more gentle and will allow close placement of most LPS as well. The clams could go in the center in such a set up. Because the outlet is so broad at 2" the pressure increase exponentially with flow. If you double the flow rate the flow carries farther- I find a 6000 is good for a 4ft area and the 6100 is good for an 8 ft area. While you can adjust the flow, the greatest advantage is gained from a broad pulse pattern from minimum power to full power.

It is not a bother- I have alot of respect for intelligent people who research their purchases. It is far less aggrevating than the opposite- an impulse buyer who is full of complaints.

I also wanted you to know that the only difference between the two pumps is a transformer which can be changed. With 12V AC you have a 6000 and with 22V you have a 6100. So you can upgrade if I am wrong (admittedly that is rare). The transformers cost about $75 for the 22V and $50 for the 12V.

Roger,
Thanks very much for the quick and thorough reply! Sounds as if (2) 6000 would be the best option at this point.
Just to be sure I am understanding you correctly, if I find (down the road) that I desire more flow, I can upgrade the 6000 to a 6100 by purchasing the larger transformer?

Thanks again,
SA

about same?

about same?

Roger,
It seems to me that the 6110 turned down to min speed would be equivlent to the 6000 at about 95% of full speed. Is this fairly close to being correct?
Thank you,
John

Well, not really. The main beauty of the electronic pump is to be able to pulse it and create waves. The pumps can pulse between 30% and 100% of their flow rate at intervals between 1.5 and 7 seconds. Buy the sze you need. It is almost no difference in price to buy the 6000 and later upgrade the trnasformers if you buy a bigger aquarium. The transformers are about $75. This is the only difference between the pumps- 22v vs 12v

Transformer model number

Transformer model number

Roger,
I have a 6110 Stream kit that includes the 22 volt transformer and Single Controller.

I am thinking that I may wish buy the 12 volt transformer. Just to be very sure, please give me the part number for that 12 volt transformer that will work with the 6110.

Thank you,
John

I am not sure off the top of my head but i can arrange it when I get back. It will be part 7200.something. Please give me a call or remind me of the message later and we can do it.

Back