ZOO close ups!

I can't compare to Landon's pics...those are just amazing...but I did get another picture of some of my orange centered and pink centered zoas that came out decent:

zoas040722005.jpg

thanks all. my zoos are the pride of my tank. ive got a long way to go to catch up to some of the people in this thread though.

gflat65 - i like those as well. i have another rock that has about 30 of those on it, but its further back in the tank and i can get a good macro. they grow like weeds though.

i have 2 - 250w XM20000k halides and 4 - 110w URI super actinics. :D the lights really make a huge difference on my zoas. they do make some of my SPS turn a little green though. green is my favorite color so i dont mind :cool:

H2OLUVSME,

That explains it. 20K's and VHO's. I haven't gone as far up the spectrum as 20K's yet, but definitely love more blue.

Michael7979,

Are those in the first pic blue and green in the center, or is the camera playing tricks. If blue and green, they are pretty cool. I have some simialr, but they are justy green in the center. The others are pretty nice, too. I have a few of them:).

They are a more soild blue but the picture is only close to the real color. The center fades to a turquise-ish color.

gflat65 said:
H2OLUVSME,

That explains it. 20K's and VHO's. I haven't gone as far up the spectrum as 20K's yet, but definitely love more blue.

i like the blue too. first i tried 10k XMs with 4 actinics, then went to 20ks with 2 actinics and 2 actinic white, then one actinic white then all four actinics. it got better and better (bluer and bluer) wiht each switch. i like having the 4 VHOs as opposed to the regular 2, because i could play more with the color. i guess i could go with just 2 since its all actinic any way. if i find some aquablues or something with a higher PAR but hold a good blue i may try out some different VHOs, just to add some intensity to the ends of my lighting schedule.

thanks gflat
jovreffer-those are very nice dude... solid reds are the only zoos i've yet to come across locally. dang it.

thanks for the compliment :) everyone has that one 2 two colors they cant seem to get their hands on dont they hehe. Mine is the blue w/ red rims and all yellow. Oh well.

can't find solid yellows either... but these are almost yellow
brown_with_yellow_fills.jpg

and these came from a member here.. they are super cool.
woah_blues2.jpg

The zoos in the pics are under T5 lighting (3 blue 3 white)

No flash was used. We use a Fuji Finepix S7000 with no special lenses.

Last edited:
Back