1000 Gallon Build- Here we go- Lots of Pictures

Duncans can be picky, both with lighting and flow. Polyps will close for days at a time and then open normally. You can try moving them around to a different area. I wouldn't worry about it until you see tissue dying or it looks like it's turning itself inside out from the mouth. Mine used to enjoy spot feeding from time to time, also.

Only times my Duncan's close like that when my magnesium levels dips or they are getting ready to pop out some new heads.

Only times my Duncan's close like that when my magnesium levels dips or they are getting ready to pop out some new heads.

I hope its that they are ready to pop new heads. There is a smaller duncan colony on the other side of the tank and all other corals are doing great- so hopefully its new heads. Thats encouraging news.

Looks like everything is doing great! It is so great to see all of the planning with the house and tank is really paying off.

looking at the video that Duncan might not like being so close to the rock. it definitely wants to open up but maybe its brushing up against the rock when it does and its not liking that.

looking at the video that Duncan might not like being so close to the rock. it definitely wants to open up but maybe its brushing up against the rock when it does and its not liking that.

I think you are right- it looks crowded. Ill reposition him into a better location and putty him into an open area.

Any advantage to cutting him into several segments? He is one big piece right now- I thought maybe frag the stems into a couple of pieces and spread him out- any pros cons on that? and any special precautions on cutting the stalk?

Next time you record a video try turning your phone 90 degrees so that when you upload the video it takes up the whole screen and not just a vertical narrow portion of the screen.

I relocated the Duncan higher up in more flow and no rocks. Epoxied his to a nice life or rock. It seems to be doing much better.

Fills the screen for me when held vertical.

Also, do you spot feed the duncan? Always used to spot feed mine. Kept it happy

My duncans grow like crazy with no spot feeding. I did that at first when there were only a couple heads on each. After that it became too difficult and I noticed they were doing really well without the spot feeding.

Ill post another video tonight of the Duncans in the new spot with no restrictions from the rocks. They had definitely opened up last night in their new position. Hopefully thats all that was needed to get them to bloom again as the rest of the tank is doing well.

Back