240 gallon acrylic reef build

That's great! Be sure to practice pinning on some scraps before doing the big tank. Also, have a helper for the pin pulling and shim pushing when you do the top and bottom seams. You can get most small airbubbles out by putting extra pressure under them with a shim. I think on my next tank I'm going to try using wo42.

This is definately the most complete DIY tank I have seen.. I mean you build your protein skimmer, lighting, tank, sump, and spend money where it belongs ;on beautiful livestock.. great job Congrats

@ashish, thanks for the kind words :)

I added the Whitecheeck tang to the DT today to make room in QT for the new fish. I put him in a CITR just to get the other tangs acclimated to him. He doesn't like it very much. I can't decide what would be less stressful? Sitting in a CITR for a week or suffering the wrath of the powder blue tang.

Anyway, the Maxima clam and Red Sea Purple Tang will be here tomorrow! I'm excited! The search for a proganthodes sp. butterfly continues...

Released the whitecheeck and put in the new clam. Currently acclimating the Red Sea Purple Tang to the QT system. He looks great!

I do have a helper, he is familiar with acrylic work so that's nice!
I'll cross my fingers when I start
:lol:
Corey

Whitecheeck tang came today. These fish are ich magnets so he gets a little bit of extra formalin/malachite green... :)

It'll be about an hour and then he'll make it into the QT system. I'm still hoping to snag a Red Sea Purple Tang one of these days. It seems like they only come on LA every 3-4 months.

Beautiful whitecheek tang I want to add one to my tank but my worry is if adding a whitecheek with my powder blue tang who's been in tank 3 years now how much fighting they would do. Fighting would only cause them to stress which leads to ich. I see you have a powder blue as well, so how are the two tangs working out in same tank for you?

I will be interested to see how your purple tang does with your CBB and your idol.

My purple tang killed my CBB in the dark within hours of being transferred to the DT. :angryfire:

Fighting only leads to ich if you have ich in your tank. If you're QTing properly you shouldn't have ich in your tank. The Powder Blue picks on the Whitcheeck a lot. I'm still not sure how its going to turn out. The whitecheeck is eating a lot though so I'm hoping that they work out their differences. The powder blue has stopped picking on the sailfin and my idol though, so that's the silver lining I guess.

@softie, the purple tang is 2", my CBB is 5". I'm not expecting there to be any issues.

Fighting only leads to ich if you have ich in your tank. If you're QTing properly you shouldn't have ich in your tank. The Powder Blue picks on the Whitcheeck a lot. I'm still not sure how its going to turn out. The whitecheeck is eating a lot though so I'm hoping that they work out their differences. The powder blue has stopped picking on the sailfin and my idol though, so that's the silver lining I guess.

@softie, the purple tang is 2", my CBB is 5". I'm not expecting there to be any issues.

Think I'll give it a shot too, I saw a beautiful whitecheek a LFS. No ich in my tank, QT tank I'll need to improve on setup. Also looking for one of those holding blocks you've use to place the new fish in display tank so all fish get to see each other before releasing in system.

Thanks great looking tank build

Full tank video. Purple tang has really adjusted very quickly with little or no aggression from the other tank mates.

Tank looks great! Any issues with the two 40g breeder tanks in series? aka flow issues?

So your new job is building beautiful display tanks? Right? :)

No flow issues with the breeders. They're connected with three 2" pvc pipes.

The new job isn't building tanks, but having it at work is a lot of fun :)

No flow issues with the breeders. They're connected with three 2" pvc pipes.

The new job isn't building tanks, but having it at work is a lot of fun :)

Thanks for the info on the flow. I want to have a basement sump with a few tanks in series for refug, frags, and maybe a nursery all on the same system.

You get to stock it on company PO's? :)

@giovanni, Yes, the MI does nibble at the coral once in a while, but they all seem better for it or at the very least they're unaffected. He hasn't destroyed any corals. He especially likes to nibble on the blue and purple ones, but they're the fastest growers behind the green slimer and bird's nests so I don't really care. I've had him for about 2 years now.

@mark, this is in the meeting/lunch area of a research center at a university. PO's cover the salt and other upkeep items. I paid for the initial install and materials.

Last edited:
Back