25g SPS (too many pics...is that possible?)

Great corals and pics but you left them little room to grow and fill in the tank. You will be constantly fragging them with these growth rates. The question is not with the number of pics but number of corals. JMO. By the way my Fav is the Purple Digitata.

Last edited:
Mile sq. reefer and Kev Apsley: thanks for the compliments!

Mile Sq. Reefer: Tell me about it! When I originally started to set the tank up, I wanted no more than a dozen. Through the past months, fellow reef keepers have just been giving me corals...I guess to help give me a new start. I had a hard time refusing them. :) My plans are to upgrade to at least a 65g with Overflow on the end of the tank so I can keep the peninsula style.

I love the purple digi as well; it was the first given to me and the first SPS to enter the tank. :) Right now I'm just concentrating on good husbandry while anticipating a move in the neat future. That should be fun. :)

I also have a small tank and I noticed (or didnt notice) that you have absolutely no algae in your tank. How are you doing this?

With quality corals like that I would have a hard time refusing them too. I'm sure when you upgrade your new tank will look just as good.

Zdawgnight: There are three nuisances that I have to keep in check on a routine basis; they are caulerpa, aiptasia, and green bubble algae. Here's how I handle them:

1. Caulerpa: I try to starve it by precipitating Phosphate with Kalkwasser. I have three small patches where it grows, so when I see some growth, I pull it out and try not to let any float away.
2. Green bubble Algae: same method
3. Aiptasia: Kill it when I see it with TM aiptasia eliminator.

Mile Sq. Reefer: Thank you for the kind words. I can only hope and pray that everything will transition well. :)

Get some Berghia Nudibranch's and the aiptasia will be gone. They worked for me. Last ditch effort. I added one that must have had fertilized eggs and now I have three or four. My Aiptasia pop. has been on the decline to where I hardly notice them now.

I would try to get some, but they're a little pricey for such a small tank. Fish Safari sells them for $30 (maybe that's not a bad price?). Also, since they do feed solely off of aiptasia, I don't think I would have enough to support their life, and I definitely don't want them dieing in my tank no matter how small they are. I've definitely really got to look hard to find any, but I'm still thinking about getting a group of 3 peppermint shrimp. I've heard good things about them when they're in a group.

Great tank. i like to see successful sps nano-reefs.Im letting caulerpa grow wild in my display it just looks more natural than a bunch of corals stacked on top of rocks.If you want to get rid of it just add a brittle star.

It does look natural; I just don't like the risk of it slowly covering a base of branch if I'm not entirely aware of every coral.

Here's where I differ from some reef keepers. I'm very conservative when it come to what inverts I put in the tank. I won't put emeralds, sallies, brittle stars, and cucumbers. I don't think that it is wrong to do so; I just believe that there is a risk with each. (I could be completely wrong :)) I use mostly Astrea snails; I have about 24 currently in the tank now. Thanks for the input and compliment Cutegecko3! :)

Great looking tank. I might have missed this in the thread, but I was wondering what lights you are using? I am in the middle of building a 29g sps tank and the lights are the last thing I need to purchase.

I am currently running a 150w 14k Phoenix DE in a Reefoptix 3 pendant driven by a Blue Wave 3 ballast. I got this light for a great deal from another guy of RC and have been really pleased with it. If I could do it again, I might have gone with a 250w.

Can anyone recommend a reliable, affordable auto top-off system to me? Thanks again for looking at my tank!
:)

Hmm.. That link didn't work.

Here is the product: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

Just search for it.

That's a real nice tank. I love the before and after pics of the corals. It's amazing to see how fast some of those coral grew.

Thanks for the info on the lights. I am also thinking about running a 250w MH over my new setup, but love what you have done with your tank. I have been using an ATO from Autotopoff.com that works great.

Ooja3k, Melanotaenia, LiveRock27: Thanks for the tips on the ATO's.

Plu812, LiveRock27: Thanks for the compliments! It amazes me to see how fast some of them grew as well; this is my first time ever trying SPS.

LiveRock27: Are you leaning towards a pendant w/o supplemental lighting? If so I would highly recommend the 14k Phoenix; they come in 150w or 250w. Thanks again for the kind words! :)

Back