27 clowns in the same tank 27 months~Thread of the Month

I do love the BRS clown tank. Every time I go to their offices to pick up an order, I get to watch that tank. Not sure when they switched it to T5s. I was there a couple weeks ago and it was the first thing I noticed. It had much stronger colors when it was under the LEDs. To me, compared to how it looked before the switch, it looks kind of washed out. The nems seem very happy just not as pleasing to my eyes.

I do love the BRS clown tank. Every time I go to their offices to pick up an order, I get to watch that tank. Not sure when they switched it to T5s. I was there a couple weeks ago and it was the first thing I noticed. It had much stronger colors when it was under the LEDs. To me, compared to how it looked before the switch, it looks kind of washed out. The nems seem very happy just not as pleasing to my eyes.

imo t5's work so much better than leds at growing corals and their colors. To me the colors when lit with led's look unnatural. But on the other side i have seen a few nice led lit tanks. All depends on how you use them.

thanks! I was hoping to get some other fish in there, not just a pure clown tank. It would be cool to have 20 clarkiis haha.. I'll probably try 6-8 and see where that leads me. no other clowns in the tank. I will probably add some wrasse and other beneficial fish to help maintain the reef.

I used to raise Clarkii. In my experience, they tend to kill each other. I tried a few times to raise clutches long term together. Once in a 240 gallon with lots of anemones. It didn't work well. Clarkii are much meaner than Percs or Oscellaris.

https://youtu.be/dk1j55S_Z1I
<iframe width="960" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dk1j55S_Z1I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

aw man... I guess I'm heading toward failure. I located a breeder than can get me 6 galaxy clarkii.

I wouldn't mind trying 6 skunk. But I like the dark Clarkii a lot more. I would try multiple Percs or Oscellaris but it's a Haddoni tank. Don't want them eating the clowns

I tried housing 6 different mature clowns of different broodstock in my 40 Breeder. That sure was a mistake. One by one, I kept finding one less clown in my tank, until only one remained.

wow that is a bummer hopefully there is something that can be done to fix it. did you have something set up temporarily?

I haven't run into this issue, but since you have it clamped, could you potentially add a brace to your brace? Forgive my wording, but I mean something along the lines of a flatten metal bar that would be bolted/screwed in a couple areas along the length of it, to hold it together solidly.

That being said, if it broke once it could break again.. just a band-aid solution I suppose, but I;ve seen much worse work long-term.

Is that a glass or plastic brace? It looks like plastic to me in the pictures.
Some plastics like PVC age and become brittle under exposure to UV and/or saltwater.

You could glue another plastic strip on top of it as a intermediate fix, but long term you will either have to replace the top frame or get a new tank.

Is that a glass or plastic brace? It looks like plastic to me in the pictures.
Some plastics like PVC age and become brittle under exposure to UV and/or saltwater.

You could glue another plastic strip on top of it as a intermediate fix, but long term you will either have to replace the top frame or get a new tank.

Or silicone a piece of glass as a brace (if it is glass that is, not acrylic)

Thanks for the suggestions. The tank is an over ten year old All-Glass with the plastic top and bottom trim. We went to the local fish store and checked out their amazing display tanks. Well, aquarium gear has changed a bit in the last ten years. Husband wants a new quieter tank with Kessil AP700 with Neptune APEX controller & new DC skimmer and return pump, while I am anxious about such a transfer and new gear that I know nothing about. The brace broke because I switched back to the 400 watt metal halides and one of the exhaust fans had stopped working thereby causing excessive heat over the bracing. So my fault for the brace failure. I think it is possible to to add a wood brace to the cabinet....

As always this tank is amazing to look at!
Sorry to hear about your broken brace, would you transfer everything to a new tank? What size?

Corey

...would you transfer everything to a new tank? What size?

Corey

Thanks. Yes, I am getting ready to order a new tank. Going to do the same foot print 72"x24" but instead of 29" tall, I'm going to do 26" tall. The calculator says this will be an 194.5 gallon tank vs the current 210. Better for lighting and working on the tank. Tank will be a Crystal Dynamic custom Starphire, Eurobrace, Black Silicone, maybe Black Back with 20" Synergy Overflow. Getting a new stand, no canopy with 2 Kessil AP700 LED lights., New APEX system with Leak detection module, going to add GFO Media Reactor AE FR50

I'm debating on if I should stick with the current 10 year old Euro-reef with the two recirculating Sedra pumps, externally mounted to sump/refugium or get completely new gear with new Aqua Excel 10 DC Cone Skimmer, Trigger Systems Tideline 48 Refugium Sump and two Aqua Excel DC 8000 return pumps. Existing stuff skimmer works but those Sedra pumps act up every so many years. The Eheim 1262 pump has been no maintenance for the last ten years. I like no maintenance.

Any advice or opinions on new equipment and best way to transfer inhabitants would be welcome and appreciated. The goal is low maintenance and quieter tank which is why DH wants new equipment.

Do you think I can lower the water in the tank and move it out from the wall so the new tank can be set in place?

Back