3 tank,2600 gal. system room build

I figured you could pull it and use it elsewhere. It looks like some very nice wood. I can't imagine spar being tough enough to take that kind of weight though. I would think the flexing of the wood would result in cracking of the finish and water getting into the wood.

You know your floor best though eh! You could use my method too:

I have a water sensor on the floor tied into my ACIII Pro which emails me when there is an out-of-state condition like the skimmer bucket full, water on the floor, etc. Then I just use a shop-vac. I still think the guy who invented the shop-vac should get a Nobel Prize.

My wife came home from work one day to find that myself and another brain injured person from my therapy group had removed most of the only load-bearing wall in my house. We did it so I could get the tank into the tank room. :D

26" inches between tanks? Is that all the viewing room for the long sides?

I have several concerns about your setup. 27" between tanks....well that seems a bit close if you wanted to walk between them. You can do it, but it would be nice if there was more room so you could backup and see the entire tank :) It also might be hard to get in there to do maintenance. The other concern I have is that it looks like your tanks up against the wall (end pieces). It might make that harder to clean. My biggest concern is humidity. How are you going to get a handle on it? You'll probably evaporate 75g to 100g a day in that room. That's a lot of humid air. It will make it interesting the floors :)

I'm really excited to see it. I just thought I would throw those things out there since you asked.

My question is why do you want three enormous tanks as you enter the hobby? This isn't like freshwater, not at all. Everything you know about freshwater will not help you with saltwater.

When we spoke recently, I listened to what you were describing and answered what I could, but looking at your space, I don't understand your motivation.

It would be better to set up one big tank and focus on it. Or set up two different systems (fish only & a reef), so you can enjoy both worlds. That would give you the space to work around each tank, and be able to take a step back and look at what you've created.

What is your end goal, besides having a lot of water in your home?

this is the kind of imput i need. i have had a 200 gal 2-125 and 90 saltwater in that room for 20 years and wanted a larger tank for things like 5 foot green moray ell or black tip shark. i am concerned about the 26inches between tanks. so this could be 1 reef open top and 2 fish only tanks with heavy tight lids. any ideas? i can do anything with this room. 10 feetx34inches is all i can get through the door,but the door could be modified(with a sledge hammer).

I was wondering if you were going to post on what was going into the three tanks. I know your not a lil man either so I think that 27" isnt going to be enough room for you to move around.

I was working on some drawings last night and no matter what I put into the room the option that gave you the most options is two large tanks one for reef and one for your fishonly. I was thinking 10' x 40" x 30" That will leave you rougly 40" between your tanks since the wall we would be going against is about 11' or so. I know you like bigger man and so do the rest of us.

Tank one Fish Only you could divide in half either long way or short way That way you could keep some of the species in a tank that dont get along with eachother.

I wouldn't go any taller than 30". I like the idea of two big tanks. You'll have your hands full with two let alone three.

Looking at that room, one tank would be appropriate.
Perpendicular to the 3 tank mock up you photographed earlier.
To properly take in a 10' tank, you need to step back at least 4' IME.

I use more than 27" between holding tanks after collection, in a commercial shed let alone as displays in a house.

That is quite true but I dont think it will come to that because I know he would love to have a reef and a larger home for his triggers and eels

is it possible to do a big L shaped tank and have a divider between the 2 this way its all the same water system or just 2 separate tanks in an L shape

Another idea that I considered with a large room available and my 8' x 5' x 35" tank:

Island tank in the main room with equipment in the current tank room. I would have it very low so it could be a look-down tank or with stepped benches around so myself and guests could view it from above.

I considered this for a VERY long time. But my goals were never really about guests or a "pretty" reef. For me it was always about bio-tope, mixed reef, and symbiotic relationships.

Then I did a T-Chart for in-room and in-wall and the in-wall won out easily for several reasons. Try employing this style for your situation and the answer will reveal itself.

I am working with him closely to help get things rolling I know I liked the 3 tank idea but I also know what you mean about being able to take in the tanks properly while viewing them. I know its not going to be any less then two tanks because I know he wants a reef and also a fishonly for those other fishes that cant be in a reef setup.

Can the floor handle stacking tanks like at an LFS? He seems a lot more like me about aquariums and one of my main issues was the top-down look as I mentioned before. How did this turn out in the decision making process?

I realized I could look down any darn time I wanted in the tank room and it became a non-issue. Sometimes I let guests up on a step ladder so they can too.

I dont think stacking will work with the types of fish that he wants in his FO tanks. I dont think thats possible. I have to deliver some items up to him tomorrow so it will be an interesting afternoon of discussions.

wow thanks for imput. today i made another mock up with 2 tanks. 1 fish and 1 reef. size 132x36x30high reef and 132x36x36 or 40 for fish. still having the overflow on the end of tank so viewable on 3 sides. having a aquatic service company over tomarrow,will post pic then. what type of overflow? syphon,horizontal weir or what? how many and what size holes? not to keen on putting holes in bottom of tank if possible.

DSCN14931.jpg

I know someone said that you shouldn't go any taller than 30", but my tank is 30" tall and it is too tall for me. The tips of my hair dangle in the water as I'm bending over the rim to reach the stuff on the very bottom. Long hemostats have fixed the problem but 24" would be much more comfortable. From a viewing stand point though, the height of my tank makes me love it.
Completely up to you but I thought I would add some more food for thought.

Back