3 tank,2600 gal. system room build

Ah, well, Dean has lots of spare time to clean tanks, as he still doesn't know what a diaper is - but actually little Kenny is a very good baby. He's pretty content and happy most of the time, only cries for messy diapers or food ( just like men, hehe) so I think we will BOTH have plenty of time to keep the tanks up. I am trying to get my camera charged as there is a neat little purple-ish thing on one of the rocks in my baby reef and I would like to see if someone knows what it may be. Will post picture as soon as I can get one that you can actually see :)

we will raise the reef stand 4 inches. i have well water tds 39 before ro and 0 after, dont see any problem there. someone should tell nina she is supposed to love honor and obey.

39? very nice. But PLEASE keep in mind that TDS is a very poor measurment of water quality. Before you get all fluffed up, make sure to test your tap water for EVERYTHING including ammonia, nitrate, phosphate, silica, etc.

My well water has a very low TDS as well, but varying degrees of nitrate and phosphate. It depends on the season too. Also, mine is VERY cold, and that radically effect production efficiency and water quality. I would absolutely send samples to labs as well. It is not expensive in the least to get a full array of tests to compare. Aquarium Water Testing is one such company, if yu are buying product from SpectraPure, often they will test it as well, and they are the ones I trust the most.

There should also be local labs that test for "human" issues. Around here the test is about $25. DO NOT assume that zero TDS means the water has been purified.

My .02 cents.
I am 6' 3", very limber and athletic.
I have 2 tanks 120x48x30FOWLR and 120x48x36Reef.
If I had to do it over I would have gone with the 30in (oe even less) on both tanks. It is a total PITA to get to anything at the bottom of the reef without grabbers. I found that I tend to neglect getting the bottom cleaned as often with the bigger tank
If you are looking for water volume, you might want to consider going with 48in depth and reducing the height. will make life so much easier in the long run unless you enjoy jumping into the tank every 3 days
If I started again tmrw, I would seriously consider 120x60x24 instead. Would save a ton in lighting going shallower

:lol: ah the sweet moment of relaxation...hey wait a minute, I never did that. I did ride my trainer in front of the tank, and I did stand and stare at it with friends, but sit in a chair and relax? I guess that is some form of OCD because every time I look at the tank, I see something that needs to be done.

Dont we all have OCD if we have aquariums. Dean if you want I can bring my tests up to you and test your water for you if you dont have the right tests.

jnarowe- i do have a small amount of nitrate,phosphate,and silicate. my ro-di unit should take these out also should it not? it is brand new. i have been breeding freshwater fish for 20years with no problem. do i still need to test?

prostaff- thanks for your 2 cents. you have some large tanks there-cool. they are not glass i'm guessing. what kind of overflow and how many drains and size? i know i can not reach the bottom of these tanks but i have had many tanks- 100, 60 currently in use and just wanted something different. i cannot get a 48 wide tank in the house or i would get that width.

Yes, you need to test all points to get a baseline. Incoming well water, post purification, and fresh made salt water.

And breeding freshwater and building a stable reef are two entirely different things. Breeding is more difficult than "keeping" freshwater, but fish have a much wider tollerance than corals. That's what this whole forum is about, and there wouldn't be a zillion posts if it was as easy as fresh water.

I have a fresh water planted tank that basically takes care of itself. Most people have a tough time getting a stable planted tank, and I did too until I purified my water...with very little husbandry, I grow plants like crazy, even with flowers blooming above the water, but that is child's play compared to a reef.

We are all telling you this because we see some red flags in what you are doing, but I feel you have the desire to learn and continue to consider comments herein. That is why we are still around. Even just the humidity issue is very serious with a reef. Hot lights = lots of evaporation = salt air everywhere...in an open style arrangement like yours, this must be considered very carefully especially with that kind of water volume.

Keep asking questions and you'll get there. I spent forever just reading threads about system design, equipment, and various issues before I dared post or start a design. We want you to be successful, so please don't take the few negative comments as anything other than a little prod to do more research. Many who have commented have been doing reefs of various sizes for many years. The cummulative experience is stupendous.

For me, you are welcome to contact me any time, but ultimately you will have to take a bunch of opinions and experience, cull it down, and develop your own plan (of course). I would suggest one giant cube, or one long "touch tank" style system like you see in public aquariums.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14826369#post14826369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by searey
i cannot get a 48 wide tank in the house or i would get that width.

Why not? Turn the tank on its side so 36" or 30" is the size to fit through the door.

Dean and I have discussed the issues with the humidity and such that will be taken care of. I think that now with the decision about the qty of tanks in the room has been decided and how to take care of the excess humidity has been discussed as well. Now comes the fun part of getting the stands made and the room prepaired for the aquariums arrivals. It will be a long process but in the end I know that with my assistance and all of yours as well he will have two very beautiful looking aquariums.

have you seen Jar*Head's coated stand and light rack. That is some trick stuff. I think it is Line-X.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14827015#post14827015 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by massman
Why not? Turn the tank on its side so 36" or 30" is the size to fit through the door.

+1
If you can switch to 48inx30in you only have to worry about 30in side. So much more possibilities available with the extra depth on a 48in deep tank

Ya that line x stuff is amazing but he got lucky on what he paid for it for anyone else it would have cost us much more then that.

enlighting us please on how the humidity issue will be taken care of? Not to be a downer but really, that many tanks of that size will not only ruin that house but it won't even look appealing. way to over crowded. maybe money isn't an issue but come on,,
the hydro and water waste will be insain!!
not to mention gear and critter cost!

what happens when you get board/tired of all the tank maintenance! hours upon hours of work. god forbid you have a tank crash or flood.
I don't think this is being well thought out.

Back