3 tank,2600 gal. system room build

take a close look at my overflow...coast-to-coast, removable overflow combs. It's pretty trick when you can just pull the teeth, soak and clean them, and re-install in a matter of minutes. No reach-around bull.

What about two large tanks that are pushed together to form a capital "T" in the room? That way you can view one tank from 3 sides, and the other tank is visible from more than three sides.

The sumps would fit under the two tanks, and you could walk around the entire thing. I would keep both tanks the same height because it would look nicer aesthetically.

That isnt to bad of an idea but then he would have to change his bracing in the basement. As for the sumps they are going to be in a seperate room due to it being easier for him to do his maintenance on them.

Moving the bracing now would be the smarter decision if he wanted to go with the T layout. Since you have prototypes in the room, now's the time to shuffle them around and see how it looks and if it is acceptable.

Far be it from me to stop someone's passion, but this plan seems too over the top for someone that doesn't have some significant history in saltwater husbandry. Big tanks eat up time and money, and three of them at once seems like it will be overwhelming in no time.

That is true as well I we may do that tomorrow. I am doing as much as I can to help him out with this project.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14814466#post14814466 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Big tanks eat up time and money, and three of them at once seems like it will be overwhelming in no time.

Is there an award for Understatement of the Year? :lol:

I was trying to bite my tongue, but I have to say it.

3 is plain nutso.

I have a 660 inwall display with a LARGE dedicated fishroom and another larger dedicated dry storage and workroom behind that. Both rooms (together are larger where you are planning on putting those 3 tanks.

You won't enjoy those 3 tanks the way they are arranged. Go with a Giant L, or a T, or hell, even a peninsula. If you want FO and Reef you might get creative and put a divider in to separate the biotopes. I personally would either pick a 1 (Fowler or Reef) and concentrate on that. It takes a TON more time and monkeying that a freshwater setup. I spend hours a day on mine.

As far as depth, mine is a 30". I can barely get to the bottom of it without a snorkel and mask, and I'm a big guy. If I need both hands in its mask time. Keep this in mind. Also keep in mind that when its mask time you have to have enough clearance above the tank to fit yourself. I regularly climb up and lay on the top of my tank if I'm doing serious work.

I use a plank and wear swim trunks. Definitely could use more space above my tank, but it looks like searey has enough headroom. I am guessing by his description of previous systems housed in that room, that was very tight too.

But, as has already been stated, you really have to "work" on a reef tank. You need superb and COMPLETE access to every part of the tank.

DSCN15031.jpg

ok,birch03 came over today and we came to agree on 2 tanks,1 fish 130x36x36 and 1 reef 130x36x30high. looking at glass cages. havent decided on ex. or internal overflow both would be on end of tank. piping to go to porch to help with humidity. i really wanted that third tank for my mirmaid. just kidding,i think.

IMO that is still a very poky space to view such long tanks.
Aesthetically he will not be doing those tanks any justice.
Sometimes less is more. Not a matter of how many giant tanks can I cram in here. Different story if is was commercial, but for residential displays I thinks that setup is a poor choice IMO, however its his house, hence he has to be happy.

Looks better but still tight from the angles in the pics...no earthquakes there I take it? At least you have more room in between to work! :)

Hiya everyone :) ---> Wifey here. Just thought since I was asked to read this thread thru, I would also like to have some input... The reef is my baby, the eels, triggers, and other nasty arm eating varieties are Dean's. That is why we are going for the two tank idea instead of one bigger, one "L" shaped, etc. Neither one of us want to 'give in' so we need to work on the two tanker and make something work :) Oh yeah, btw... have a 15 mo old in the house so that idea about the getting high paint... nopers. LOL

i have read most everything on glass cages,but does anyone know of any of any glass cage tanks in this size?

Its actually not as tight in the room as the pic makes it out to be. I really like his mok up it helps get things situated a bit better.

so you don't have enough to do with a 15 mo. old??? Are you on well water?? j/k :lol: Very nice to see a spouse so involved, and it will be great to have her cleaning the coraline while you sit back and watch a little natural selection. :eek:

Back