3 tank,2600 gal. system room build

Where did you hear that one? LR should be submerged at all times. Exposure to air causes cycling, and you lose a lot of life in the process. Primarily sponges, but other stuff as well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14840095#post14840095 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by searey
water? i thought you are supposed to air cure the rock for like 3 mo.
this is 70lbs should be enough for the 700gal. with some to spare.
i hope your joking, but seriously where you going to put the rock

i think you should do a 36" hight tank so that you can do a deep sand bed which would make 30" in the end you can keep some jaw fish then and others

Guys and Gals dont worry he is joking dont worry. LOL Basically what I said to him was go with what you feel comfortable doing.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14840095#post14840095 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by searey
water? i thought you are supposed to air cure the rock for like 3 mo.
this is 70lbs should be enough for the 700gal. with some to spare.

+1 That's funny stuff right there.

DSCN15501.jpg

new mock up,2 tanks 130x40x36high 1 fish only 1 reef.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14843729#post14843729 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by searey
DSCN15501.jpg

new mock up,2 tanks 130x40x36high 1 fish only 1 reef.

I would push them together, and run the plumbing that goes to your sump between the two, leaving 6" between them. That way you have room to walk around the entire thing, to view either tank more easily.

The room is too small for those huge tanks. Two 810g tanks in that room, after all.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14845498#post14845498 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
I would push them together, and run the plumbing that goes to your sump between the two, leaving 6" between them. That way you have room to walk around the entire thing, to view either tank more easily.

The room is too small for those huge tanks. Two 810g tanks in that room, after all.

I second that. Not to sound harsh but it looks more like a warehouse than a display area. By pushing them together, I think you will create a much more aesthetic end product. In the end, its a matter of personal preference....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14845498#post14845498 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev

This is a GREAT idea.

Something else I just noticed - you have a lot of windows in that room. The daylight will be a problem for the tanks, usually resulting in nuisance algae. However, even more so is the fact that all those windows will create reflections off the aquarium glass, spoiling your view. I've been to a few homes with huge aquariums in rooms with windows, and you can't see everything because of the reflections.

And finally, I still think the tanks are too big. I realize that isn't a nice thing to say, but the room does not support the size aesthetically. The point of this hobby is to be able to relax and enjoy it. Did you see this TOTM yet? http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-12/totm/index.php It is a 590g aquarium in a beautiful setting. Why cram 1620g of aquariums into this room? What's the point?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14839898#post14839898 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnarowe
The thing about combined filtration is that you lose many advantages like not having to dose the FOWLR with calcium and alkalinity, you can't feed the agressive fish the way they should be fed, unless you want to always struggle with your corals, etc. Two distinct systems is probably the best bet.

You are right. I didn't think that through far enough.

It's nice to have the ability to turn a couple valves and move water between them in an emergency etc...but otherwise I would keep them seperate. And you never know...maybe down the road he'll want to turn on into a brackish tank, anemone tank, etc.

OK,
I've gone over this thread 3 times. I only have one long tank, but it's 9ft so hopefully this info is usefull. My OCD is asthetics, so I've done a little alternate arrangement which ends up with a 450G and a 560G - Personal preference is cube for reef tanks and long for fowlr.
Hopefully this layout will allow the reef to be easier to work on and keep clean and not have the tank stick out past the door. Yes big is good, but in front of a door opening is not cool in soo many ways.
Not sure of the room dimensions but a 60" tank is only half a sheet so it cuts down on cost alot there. The 40" depth on the long tank is arbitrary, but it seems you like big ;o)
tanklayout.jpg

Back